• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

Anyone know if Millennium ever released EXPs in Sirius plastic?
Yes. I mean no. I mean...it depends on what you mean.

My understanding is that there were a few Prototype Sirius EXP 1's run shortly after Star plastic became a thing in like '07-'08 and so technically yeah, there are a handful. There was never a full production run of them that I'm aware of.

Yes. I mean no. I mean...it depends on what you mean.

My understanding is that there were a few Prototype Sirius EXP 1's run shortly after Star plastic became a thing in like '07-'08 and so technically yeah, there are a handful. There was never a full production run of them that I'm aware of.

Correct, I have one from the test run, received it in the summer of 2007.

https://www.svenskdiscgolf.se/discdb/?search=bottom+=+S+EXP

Stupid questions

Why is a Sexton Firebird (2017) so coveted ?

Is a 2017 "stock" Firebird any different?

What's the difference between a 2017 Sexton Firebird and an Alex Geisenger team Innova Firebird (other than name)?

Why is a Sexton Firebird (2017) so coveted ?

Is a 2017 "stock" Firebird any different?

What's the difference between a 2017 Sexton Firebird and an Alex Geisenger team Innova Firebird (other than name)?

All previous years' iterations of Sexton Firebirds are coveted.

Stock Champion firebirds are not Color Glow, so they are not the same. Stock Champion is more overstable.

Sexton, himself, said (in video below) that the 2017's are straighter and get more distance than 2015s or 2016s.

I have held some Geisinger Color Glow Champion Firebirds, like the one pictured below, and think that the plastic seems identical to the Sextons.

INLE-TSAG-NGCE-Firebird_zpslmnyenhg_700x.jpg

The Geisingers came out in 2018 I think though, so maybe they are from the same run as 2018 Sextons?

Found this at a pias today. I like the stamp. This is in nice shape so I'm wondering if it's a re-issue. Anyone know history of this particular mold here?

Attachments

• IMG_20210430_115808133.jpg
    IMG_20210430_115808133.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 29
Found this at a pias today. I like the stamp. This is in nice shape so I'm wondering if it's a re-issue. Anyone know history of this particular mold here?
It's not really what people mean when they say P-38. That's a recent reissue P-38-J/#2 Hookshot. The actual P-38 went OOP around '93 or '94.

The P-38 was Lightning's first disc. It's kinda Aero-ish. Like the Aero, the mold wore out and was retooled into a larger-diameter kinda 1990-ish driver; the Aero became the Phenix and the P-38 became the P-38-J. It was also nicknamed the "Razor Blade Lightning" because it was so much flatter and the nose was so much sharper than the P-38 had been. The P-38-J became the #2 Hookshot when Lightning renamed their discs.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Is there anything special about this Hawk?
Lol...did you get that out of my basement?

The Hawk was the only two-plastic disc that Discraft had back in the day. The Hawk was in Competition plastic (same as the Eclipse) and the HD Hawk was in Tournament Pro plastic (same as the Cyclone). All the other discs were either/or (except the Vortex which is a story for another day).

Hawk

picture.php

HD Hawk

picture.php

tl;dr: No, there is nothing special about that Hawk. :|

Me too for a while, it self corrected for my bad technique at least a little.
Yup!
I threw it one time thinking I had pulled my Eclipse out of my bag. My straight shot would have turned and burned if it was the Eclipse.

Me too for a while, it self corrected for my bad technique at least a little.
My disc like that was a Lightning Spitfire; something dumb about that disc respond to nose up n00bery and I could throw it when I couldn't get anything else to stop hyzerdumping. Years later I went back and tried to throw one for grins and giggles and I couldn't throw it worth a damn. :\

The Hawk was the only two-plastic disc that Discraft had back in the day. The Hawk was in Competition plastic (same as the Eclipse) and the HD Hawk was in Tournament Pro plastic (same as the Cyclone). All the other discs were either/or (except the Vortex which is a story for another day).

I want to hear more about the Vortex. Also any other cool disc history lessons that you wish to impart upon those of us who are of the younger generations.

To me a Vortex was a cross between a Roc and a Firebird. With everything being basically base plastic back then it would break in to be a sweet turn over disc with a reliable fade.

I know Vortex was Discraft but I compare with Innova because I know them better.

Latest posts