• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild - Sunday evening or Monday morning?

armiller

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Dear helpful DGCRers, especially those familiar with the Cincinnati and Idlewild:

I will be road-tripping and can arrange a stop to play Idlewild this upcoming Sunday evening (7/31/22) or Monday morning (8/1/22). It looks like there's a decent (~50%) chance of rain or even thunderstorms during both periods (Sunday might be a bit better). How busy is Idlewild on Sunday evenings? I definitely want to spend time enjoying this gem, but I also don't want to spend most of this time in backups behind a ton of groups.

You can tell I haven't put a whole lot of planning into this. But I can't pass up a chance to play Idlewild if it will be a decent experience!

Thanks in advance.

First: Even with increased popularity, Idlewild is challenging enough to NOT be packed with groups very often.
Second: I'm no meteorologist, but Weather Underground shows low chance of serious rain for Sunday evening, and the daily cycle would have more humidity on a morning round, so if you have 3-4 hours of daylight, go for Sunday evening.
Finally, the local Facebook group (assuming this is an open group) is very active, and a place to see if there are folks who might be able to join you. Have Fun! :thmbup:

Dear helpful DGCRers, especially those familiar with the Cincinnati and Idlewild:

I will be road-tripping and can arrange a stop to play Idlewild this upcoming Sunday evening (7/31/22) or Monday morning (8/1/22). It looks like there's a decent (~50%) chance of rain or even thunderstorms during both periods (Sunday might be a bit better). How busy is Idlewild on Sunday evenings? I definitely want to spend time enjoying this gem, but I also don't want to spend most of this time in backups behind a ton of groups.

You can tell I haven't put a whole lot of planning into this. But I can't pass up a chance to play Idlewild if it will be a decent experience!

Thanks in advance.

I just played Idlewild on Wednesday eve at 5:00. It had rained the last few days, including the day I was there. Rain stopped an hour or so before I arrived. Course was basically empty. My suspicion is it's not frequented during/right after rain.

Thanks folks. I ended up playing on Sunday evening and it was beautiful. I jumped on to help two locals make their "3" for the weekly league (?) and it was great playing the DGPT layout.

It is definitely NOT an overrated course! I probably won't review it, but I'm glad I made it on such a beautiful afternoon/evening and got to play with some locals.

Unfortunately, I lost a nice Halo Star Tern on the 1000 footer. It was hard to tell how much headwind there was from the tee!!!