• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild upgrades and additions...

InnocentCrook

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Big thanks to Boone Co. Parks and Fred Salaz!

The teepads that were installed last year on some of the letter holes were actually old teepads from the original Boone Woods layout and were a bit on the "rough" side.(Not rough in a good way.) Holes B, C, and E all had new pads poured today. Hole C actually got another pin position and a really cool additional long teepad. Hole E also got an additional "short" teepad added that took the water carry out of the picture.

Hole 9 is getting a new elevated pin being installed on a tree stump just behind and slightly to the right of the current pin position.

Here's a crappy cell phone picture of the new Hole C Long tee. About 520'. Original pin is tucked into the trees just past the large orange tree on the right. New pin is basically a straight shot from the new teepad. Enzy and I played it tonight, teeing off from just to the right of the trees by the teepad and we really enjoyed it. Water carry is maybe 250-275' depending on the angle you take.
picture.php

Wow! Is that shot now over the pond south of the roadway, so you shoot over pond, road, short tee, road, between two small trees, and another coupla hundred feet to the pin behind the big tree?
Yikes! :eek:

Nope. After you finish B, cross the main road to the left of B's pin and C's short tee and walk to the other side of the pond. It's the pond that's on the right just after you come in the entrance. Tee backs up to the dog park area.

Last edited:
And I just played it a couple of months ago. Guess that's why I couldn't find the short E tee on the map. It didn't exist 'til now. :doh:

Thanks for the update. Next time I have 7 hours to kill on a drive to a course, I'm totally there! And I'll hit the Creation Museum again, too. :clap:

Skip the Creation Museum and play Lincoln Ridge instead.

Thanks for the update Tim!
How many 'signature holes' would you say there are out there now? :thmbup:
I'd say at least 18 of the 24 will stay in your memory for a long time...
1: Awesome opener
2: Incredible in the long position over the pond
A: Neat downhill, usually danger over the marshy end, left
B: (not so much)
C: Now a stunning tee shot from the long position
D: Anny (rhbh) over water gut-check
E: Again over water from the long (option to keep it simple from the new short tee)
3: Wow drive past beautiful tee to island green
That's the first third, and you're just getting started! :clap:

Fred posted on the GCFDA site this morning that there were also some minor changes made to #5. Enzy and I played 7-18 + A, B, and C last night because of time/light restraints so I'm curious to see what he changed.

I have a several hour layover on my vacation and am trying to play an early AM round next Monday if anyone is available. Getting into the airport around 7 and planning on renting a car to get there, need to be back around 11.

I have a several hour layover on my vacation and am trying to play an early AM round next Monday if anyone is available. Getting into the airport around 7 and planning on renting a car to get there, need to be back around 11.

The airport is super close to Idlewild so you shouldn't have any problem getting a round in in that time frame. I can't think of a better way to spend a layover.

Alas, I'll be working.

The airport is super close to Idlewild so you shouldn't have any problem getting a round in in that time frame. I can't think of a better way to spend a layover.

Alas, I'll be working.

Coming off the first tee I heard an unusually loud plane. I mean really loud!! Once it got up over the trees, there it was... a 747 almost right over my head! That was sweet! It was the only one that went out during my round and the other planes weren't nearly as loud so I wasn't bothered by them during the round.

I'm available on Mondays. I'm not a morning kind of guy(and that is pretty damn early) but wouldn't mind showing you around. Let me know. Bring your A game.

Idlewild will be closed for a couple of weeks starting on Monday Jan 21. The baskets are being removed to get powder coated so that they will be more visible(lots of complaints about that). The poles will still be there though in case you absolutely have to play. Thanks for you patience.

Just out of curiosity what color are they being coated?

I'm always glad to see courses getting maintenance and upgrades.. I am really bummed its this weekend... I was planning on playing Idlewild for the first time this weekend.. I will be in Frankfort, Ky. for a few days. All good though I will be playing Lincoln Ridge and some other course we haven't decided on yet.

I'm always glad to see courses getting maintenance and upgrades.. I am really bummed its this weekend... I was planning on playing Idlewild for the first time this weekend.. I will be in Frankfort, Ky. for a few days. All good though I will be playing Lincoln Ridge and some other course we haven't decided on yet.

That's a bummer about Idlewild, this is a fun time of the year to play it in my opinion. Hopefully you get a chance again soon.

Weather aside Banklick is in awesome shape right now. Still some soggy spots but nothing crazy bad. There's a bunch of fresh mulch around a lot of the tees and pins. The best part is that it's mostly recycled Christmas trees so there's a lot of areas that's smell awesome.

Latest posts