• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If Nike made DG gear/discs, would you buy it?

I understand people not wanting to buy Nike because they feel they have low-quality products. But not wanting Nike because they're out for profit? Newsflash: Innova and Discraft are out for profit too. They sponsor players for the same reason Nike would. To sell discs.

i wouldn't just because they wouldn't be established. it's like if innova made tennis shoes and basketballs, you just know it's not right and quality would suffer

I would welcome Nike to Disc Golf, would I buy their equipment, probably not. I think that Nike would bring a whole wealth of opportunities for players and recognition for the sport. But I think their equipment would just be too general and expensive.

Compare the financial statements of Nike to Innova.
What would that do? It's like comparing apples to kumquats.

Innova makes equipment for one small fledgling sport that most people play as nothing more than a recreational activity. Nike makes equipment for several sports which are far better established, and had great spectator/recreational player bases even prior to their involvement. Nike didn't get where they are investing in small potato sports known for counterculture associations and a frugal player base looking for a cheap recreational pursuit.

Meaning they would have more leverage to pay pros. Which is why this topic from the OP is even getting brought up. Getting Nike involved in disc golf would be a MAJOR plus for the sport. What do you think the DG pros would think about it?

The whole concept of a professional athlete in any sport truly befuddles me. Its something that prior to the 20th century never really existed and in a great deal of the world still doesn't exist. Why do we westerners, and Americans in particular, feel the need to aggrandize athletes with million dollar salaries, while we pay people peanuts to do things that have far greater merit to our society like teach school, put out fires, police our streets, or fight our wars?

Would any of you switch to using Nike golf discs because your favorite disc golfer used them? I'll bet a great deal of the people in our sport don't even know who our top pros are, or have even heard of the PDGA.
The fact is, if Nike never paid Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods or any of their endorsed athletes a dime that they didn't feel they could get a good return on in product sales. If disc golfers in kind don't respond to buying a Nike DG product, they aren't going to be paying any disc golfer bupkus.

I know what you mean, but supply and demand right? More people can teach, police and put out fires than can throw 360 jams, pitch no-hitters, or juke and break tackles from 300 lb Samoans for a TD. Good old entertainment biz.

I don't really trust big companies to make discs, they'd prolly make them in China and next thing you know, my drivers have lead in them. :rolleyes:

Which is why this topic from the OP is even getting brought up. Getting Nike involved in disc golf would be a MAJOR plus for the sport. What do you think the DG pros would think about it?
They'd love it! "Here's your registration for the Nike Open Mr. Feldberg, oh and here's a cup for you to pee in, standard procedure."

Last edited:
Nike is already in the disc business, and they have been for a number of years.
Nike has a special plastics division, which supplies Quest AT.
I have a Quest Raging Inferno Ultralight DT, which is molded in Nike plastic.
I really like the grip and feel.
I'm sure if Nike saw more cash in disc golf, they would produce thier own discs.
It's probably only a matter of time before we see swoosh putters.

"Just Frolf It" :p

They'd love it! "Here's your registration for the Nike Open Mr. Feldberg, oh and here's a cup for you to pee in, standard procedure."

More like, "Here's your big fat check for the month Dave."

haha Dave might not peeing in a cup but that would be something that the PDGA or governing body would be enforcing. What did Nike do after the whole Tiger Woods controversy? Made a commercial.

I understand people not wanting to buy Nike because they feel they have low-quality products. But not wanting Nike because they're out for profit? Newsflash: Innova and Discraft are out for profit too. They sponsor players for the same reason Nike would. To sell discs.

THIS.

Meaning they would have more leverage to pay pros.
And they're only going to use that leverage if they can get a good ROI for it. Nike is not a charity. They did not become what they are today investing in small potatoes.

Which is why this topic from the OP is even getting brought up. Getting Nike involved in disc golf would be a MAJOR plus for the sport. What do you think the DG pros would think about it?
It would only be a major plus to a few top pros who would reap the benefits. The rest of us would receive very little, and it would likely be offset by things that some players would consider antithetical to the free flow nature of the game which attracted them in the first place. Higher prices on discs (gotta pay for those endorsements somehow). Higher facility fees to rent out the course for a tournament (which has to be passed onto the players). A gradual end to the come as you are nature to the game.

As for what our top pros think well, forgive my frankness, but as someone who isn't a pro, I really couldn't give a turd. The fact that they can't make a luxurious living playing disc golf for a living isn't my problem, nor is it the problem for the 95+% of us who enjoy DG as a hobby. If the solution to their problem would hence create a problem for me, then I'm not going to go along with it.

At the recreational level, we don't have any problems related to lack of money that we can't solve without a big corporation getting involved. New courses are popping up at about a rate of one per day. Tournament attendance and PDGA membership are growing at a steady pace. Almost exclusively off of grass roots efforts. I say if it ain't broke, there's no need to fix it.

More like, "Here's your big fat check for the month Dave."

haha Dave might not peeing in a cup but that would be something that the PDGA or governing body would be enforcing. What did Nike do after the whole Tiger Woods controversy? Made a commercial.

And what did Gatorade do? Removed all their Tiger Woods brand flavors, which were my favorites. :mad:

I know why!

The whole concept of a professional athlete in any sport truly befuddles me. Its something that prior to the 20th century never really existed and in a great deal of the world still doesn't exist. Why do we westerners, and Americans in particular, feel the need to aggrandize athletes with million dollar salaries, while we pay people peanuts to do things that have far greater merit to our society like teach school, put out fires, police our streets, or fight our wars?

Would any of you switch to using Nike golf discs because your favorite disc golfer used them? I'll bet a great deal of the people in our sport don't even know who our top pros are, or have even heard of the PDGA.
The fact is, if Nike never paid Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods or any of their endorsed athletes a dime that they didn't feel they could get a good return on in product sales. If disc golfers in kind don't respond to buying a Nike DG product, they aren't going to be paying any disc golfer bupkus.

I agree with your second point. Endorsements don't mean crapolla!

But I can tell you why we pay athletes, brain surgeons, and any top performer more. There is only a very small amount of people that have that skill, and can do that particular job. As important as some public service jobs are, they don't take a ton of 'special' skills to do. I've taught and it was not fun. But like I just said, I taught. I have no specials skills or education. The same could be said for a bunch of other jobs. They may be important, but they don't take a genius to do them. Just a certain temperment, and some small level of intelligence.

If you want to see an economy and country collapse, start paying the average joe (times 150 million avg Joes) a ton of money. See Greece. Maybe Spain, Italy, Ireland and all the other European countries that we have always praised. And possibly soon to be us. Look at our Federal Gov't payrolls, growth and benefits. It sounds great to pay teachers whatever the union asks for, for the children, but eventually there is a point where it is too much. We may see that point here sooner than we think.

It's easy to know when the athlete is overpaid. The fans stop coming and buying beers, jerseys, and hot dogs. Then the owner cuts the athlete or doesn't renew his contract. See Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Johnny Damon and Jermaine Dye. Economics and captialism is ruthlessly fair and efficient. Whe we stop buying their ****, athletes make less. Movie stars and musicians too.

If Nike wants to pay Feldberg or anyone else a ton of money to help market Nike products let them. If we buy their stuff then they made a good decision. If we don't so be it.

The problem with polls is that they either never ask the right question, or give the reader the right choices to answer. The pollster can design to get 'his' answer. thus Exit Poll sin politics that are mostly BS. ESPN polls especially suck arse!

The problem with polls is that they either never ask the right question, or give the reader the right choices to answer. The pollster can design to get 'his' answer. thus Exit Poll sin politics that are mostly BS. ESPN polls especially suck arse!

Been doin' a little boozin'? :) What's up with all the rants tonight?

Habs got hammered. Sad and angry. Sorry. I also think polls suck. Sorry again. I'll go to bed now. Have a nice night.

Latest posts