• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If Nike made DG gear/discs, would you buy it?

Marvin Harrison
The greatest QB of all time, Peyton Manning, MADE Marvin Harrison :) Go Colts!

Anybody know about how much it costs Innova or Discraft to make just one disc? The turnover ratio has to be insane when they're charging about 15 bucks a disc.

Everyone is saying that Nike discs would be overpriced but what about our already current overpriced discs with Innova and Discraft? I'm not saying Nike wouldn't charge a buttload for their discs...never know.

And if the quality of Nike was so bad, how in the hell did they become the world's leading supplier of athletic shoes and apparel? If the quality was bad and it was overpriced, most people would not buy.

And if the quality of Nike was so bad, how in the hell did they become the world's leading supplier of athletic shoes and apparel? If the quality was bad and it was overpriced, most people would not buy.

You see, they invented these things called marketing and advertising which in turn persuades people to buy products b/c a bald black guy is doing a split on them.

lol this thread is silly.

Some of you would refuse to buy a Nike brand disc on principle alone, but don't mind buying a Groove, Breeze, Sonic, or any of the other extra terrible discs the preferred brands make (or made). Find something important to take a principled stand on...christ. :doh:

[Cue the "oh no I don't throw those discs so I can still have a valid argument" posts]

If Nike jumped into the disc golf business, they wouldn't immediately start overpricing their discs. At first they'd probably try to undercut the prices of the other brands in order to sell in a market where they're not a trusted brand name, and then gradually raise their prices back as they gain market share and build a name for quality in the market.

But what's the big deal with Nike always being the sports brand people think of? Why not Wilson or Spaulding? At least they actually make balls. Nike is primarily a shoe and clothing company that would be more likely to do what Keen is doing (make a shoe for disc golf) than try to reinvent the disc.

I wonder what prerube thinks?

Minor correction: it turns out Nike makes soccer balls and of course golf balls. Point still stands, though, that Wilson and Spalding are more the ball companies and Nike is more the shoe/clothing company.

You see, they invented these things called marketing and advertising which in turn persuades people to buy products b/c a bald black guy is doing a split on them.

Oh so marketing and advertising alone are what made Nike. Now i see. It doesn't have anything to do with them making better looking and quality shoes and apparel than Reebok, Adidas, Puma, Fila, And 1, New Balance etc. :rolleyes:

Yes I said Fila. I agree that MJ was a huge reason that Nike became so huge. But if the quality of their products was poor, it would not have gotten to where it is today. I'm not saying that Nike has superb quality. I'm just saying it's not poor quality like people are trying to suggest. If Nike came out with a disc, I'd bet money that it would compete with any other plastic on the market in terms of quality. And Brotha Dave would be buying that shizz up like it was goin out of style... :D

Last edited:
I'm more interested to see if Vibram expands their disc line into something other than putters.

Minor correction: it turns out Nike makes soccer balls and of course golf balls. Point still stands, though, that Wilson and Spalding are more the ball companies and Nike is more the shoe/clothing company.

I agree. I think if Nike made discs they would only make a few just to test the market. They are going to stick with what they do best which is shoes and clothing. Innova has been around forever and I think it would be nearly impossible to knock them off the pedestal. They will always be the #1 brand in disc golf even if they do have inconsistent molds throughout the years.

Speaking of new disc makers, a lot of newbies have been popping up recently...

I'm more interested to see if Vibram expands their disc line into something other than putters.

Reminds of Vibram too. Around Oregon, Nike has been laying down outdoor basketball courts that are made of the rubber of old shoes. There are bins that you can throw your old shoes in that you don't want anymore. Might as well start making some discs...

I'd like to see a Vibram driver too. On their site, the only disc that says PDGA approved is the V.P. I wonder if the Summit and Ridge are PDGA approved?

maybe im wrong but i think the orginal question is not about Nike. just more about large sports companies getting involved, making discs, sponsoring tournaments etc, and making DGolf become mainstream, (like ball golf) and there were 500k+ purses for wins at a pro level...

well i hate to say it, and i know people will think im wrong...but all the top pros in Disc Golf, that are currently in the top today...would not be in the top 1000.

I think DG is unique the way it is now from what ive seen, the discs are cheap, its cheap to play (free mostly)...you can put up a course pretty much anywhere.

Last edited:
Unless that big company poured money back into the sport the way all of the disc companies right now do, I probably wouldn't buy their discs, I'd rather my money go to a small business that really cares about the sport and has proven it with their sponsorships of tournaments and things like Innova's EDGE program.

I would definately buy their stuff if it was any good. It's like saying you won't throw Discraft just because it's Discraft. When Nike started making ball golf stuff they came out with the Sasquatch Driver, which was just a huge driver that let anyone hit the long ball. Which is exactly what I think Innova was doing with the Katana

Of Course I would buy their stuff, give me a break, we all would. Nike would put out top notch stuff and we ALL would buy the brand.