• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] If you could make a disc company what would it be and discs in it?

Casey 1988

Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
Just saying if I had a chance to name a set of discs and company it would be named after Basketball positions as in both sports you are trying to get the object into a Basket :D. Name of Company would be Basketball Disc Golf. So I would have discs like position like Point Guard a driver in 9-10 speed, Center a ROC diameter Fairway, Defense an approach type midrange, etc. Then I would have discs with throw names, Rebound a get out of jail disc, Free throw as a Putter, Slam Dunk another putter, Ally oop a trick disc for thumbers/Tomahawk/spike hyzer shot , J-Hook a OS midrange or slow fairway, 360 Slam dunk a lid like putter or a fast driving putter, Etc. Also would have a Disc called the Basketball being the Ultimate disc that I would also make in other weights for Super Class Tournaments, Basket a putter with the picture of a Basketball going into a Disc Golf Basket disc of a lid or fastback putter. The Fan, a disc with a wing that is quite large but a taller disc like a slow midrange height so it would be a slow disc that is made for a Fan Grip. Would have two discs that float on water to have easier retrieval of disc a faster fairway called the triple Double and a Putter that floats maybe the Free throw?

Also the Backpack style disc Bag would be called the Locker and carry up to 22-25 discs max and the traditional medium size like a Discraft Tournament size would be the Sports Duffel. The small beginner type bag would be called the Sports Sack, looking more like a modified tote bag but modified to fit discs better.

Man, Casey you guys must have more snow up your way right now. I'm off work for a snow day here in Nebraska but at least I'm being constructive and wasting time on Netflix.....:)

Just saying if I had a chance to name a set of discs and company it would be named after Basketball positions as in both sports you are trying to get the object into a Basket :D. Name of Company would be Basketball Disc Golf. So I would have discs like position like Point Guard a driver in 9-10 speed, Center a ROC diameter Fairway, Defense an approach type midrange, etc. Then I would have discs with throw names, Rebound a get out of jail disc, Free throw as a Putter, Slam Dunk another putter, Ally oop a trick disc for thumbers/Tomahawk/spike hyzer shot , J-Hook a OS midrange or slow fairway, 360 Slam dunk a lid like putter or a fast driving putter, Etc. Also would have a Disc called the Basketball being the Ultimate disc that I would also make in other weights for Super Class Tournaments, Basket a putter with the picture of a Basketball going into a Disc Golf Basket disc of a lid or fastback putter. The Fan, a disc with a wing that is quite large but a taller disc like a slow midrange height so it would be a slow disc that is made for a Fan Grip. Would have two discs that float on water to have easier retrieval of disc a faster fairway called the triple Double and a Putter that floats maybe the Free throw?

Also the Backpack style disc Bag would be called the Locker and carry up to 22-25 discs max and the traditional medium size like a Discraft Tournament size would be the Sports Duffel. The small beginner type bag would be called the Sports Sack, looking more like a modified tote bag but modified to fit discs better.

Would you name your team The Turribles?

If I had a company it would probably be something like Reptillian, where I didn't try to make 50 different molds, but just do 5-10 that were unique and that I would personally use and like the feel/flight of.

Just in case I ever got to make the two I'm really interested in, I won't divulge the names.

One used to be the Collossus and I posted that in a thing like this and months later Innova called a disc that.

Flagship disc would be a control driver that has a flat top/shoulder like a Firebird, but with a slight puddle top like an old Flick. Aim would to have it be about 9/3/0/5

Flagship disc would be a control driver that has a flat top/shoulder like a Firebird, but with a slight puddle top like an old Flick. Aim would to have it be about 9/3/0/5

So it'd be good for your forehand, Eagle's backhand, and maybe someone who throws thumbers real hard?

Man, Casey you guys must have more snow up your way right now. I'm off work for a snow day here in Nebraska but at least I'm being constructive and wasting time on Netflix.....:)

Yes but I have thought about this for a long time like as a kid a brand like this would be what I would want to see.

So it'd be good for your forehand, Eagle's backhand, and maybe someone who throws thumbers real hard?

Yes, basically pointless for 90% of players. Absolutely. But it doesn't exist and I want it. If people can make 37 Roc variations I can ask for one FB3 yeah?

I would probably only make like 8 molds.

Driver: 11,5,0,2
Fairway: 8,5,0,1
Fairway: 6, 4,0,2.5
Fairway: 6,5,-2,1
Mid: 5,5,0,1
Putter, 3,4,0,0
Putter, 3,4,0,2
Putter, 3,3,-3,0

Most names have been taken at this point, but I would probably go Sci-fi alien themed somehow. Maybe Firefly, Serenity, Leaf on the Wind, Vera, etc.

Baseball-themed

All the distance drivers would have names that are synonyms for home runs, e.g. Tater, Bomb, LongBall, Mash, and the signature disc: the Big Fly

Putter, 3,4,0,0
Putter, 3,4,0,2
Putter, 3,3,-3,0

Most names have been taken at this point, but I would probably go Sci-fi alien themed somehow. Maybe Firefly, Serenity, Leaf on the Wind, Vera, etc.

12, 0, 4, 3. The Reaver.

Love the names.

Economics-themed discs would be sooooo geeky awesome:

Put - overstable putter
Call - understable putter

Macro - overstable mid
Micro - undertable mid

Keynes - super overstable fairway (leans way left)
Greenspan - workhorse fairway
Friedman - flippy fairway (leans way right)

Plus, how cool would it be to rip on a distance driver called Arbitrage?!? Awesome, right? Or a beefcake disc called The Fed? So many choices.

Putter, 3,4,0,0
Putter, 3,4,0,2
Putter, 3,3,-3,0

DistantTepidGoa-small.gif

With "The Mudder" putter? And the "EFF YOU FOX NETWORK" driver to unleash your disappointment and rage? "The Lassiter" could be an Aviar clone (the original laser pistol to one of the original putters)

My company would have no theme, but rather name each disc to fit into other companies themes:

"The MP" - Main Putter or Military Police for the DD crowd.
"Op-Amp" - Midrange for the MVP crowd.
"Tomb Raider" - Distance driver for the Infinite Discs crowd.
"MDFDPDTDx3" - New approach disc for Simon and Eagle.

Anyway, you get the idea.

Food themed...

Breakfast putters.
Lunch mids.
Dinner drivers.
Dessert specialties.

Homemade Baseline.
Michelin Star-like.
Gourmet Champ-like.
Leftovers Recycled.

The Michelin eggs Benedict is an OS upshot disc that has excellent grip and dives at the basket. Available in 145-175 grams.

Putter, 3,4,0,0
Putter, 3,4,0,2
Putter, 3,3,-3,0

Can't forget the Browncoat

I had the same idea, except with with classic alien-conspiracy names. We're throwing flying saucers here, after all! Company would be called Area 51 Discs or something, and the molds would have names like Grayboy, Probe, Space Invader, Crop Circle, etc.

Ancient Rome theme

Auxiliary: 1/6/-1/0
Tribune: 2/5/0/0
Consul: 3/4/0/1
Cincinnatus: 3.5/3/0/3
Gracchus: 5/5/-2/0
Cicero: 5/5/0/1
Cato: 5/4/0/3
Marius: 8/6/-2/1
Senator: 8/5/0/2
Centurion: 8/4/0/3
Princeps: 11/6/-3/1
Caesar: 11/5/-1/2
Imperator: 11/5/0/2

Russian/Soviet theme

Samizdat: 1/6/-1/0
Glasnost: 2/5/0/0
Sputnik: 3/4/0/1
Kulak: 3.5/3/0/3
Apparatchik: 5/5/-2/0
Pravda: 5/5/0/1
Nyet: 5/4/0/3
Dissident: 8/6/-2/1
Cosmonaut: 8/5/0/2
Commissar: 8/4/0/3
Troika: 11/6/-3/1
Czar: 11/5/-1/2
General Secretary: 11/5/0/2

I thought a Western philosophy theme would be cool, but most of these have too many syllables. I went through with it anyway mostly because I really like the idea of bagging a Categorical Imperative in the OS putter slot. (And on the off chance that this will mean something to anybody, I bag a Warrant with a picture of Alvin Plantinga sharpied on it.)

Syllogism: 1/6/-1/0
Occam's Razor: 2/5/0/0
Ontology: 3/4/0/1
Categorical Imperative: 3.5/3/0/3
Sceptic: 5/5/-2/0
Stoic: 5/5/0/1
Telos: 5/4/0/3
Existentialist: 8/6/-2/1
Consciousness: 8/5/0/2
Angst: 8/4/0/3
Paradox: 11/6/-3/1
Metanarrative: 11/5/-1/2