• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If You Could Only Carry 5 Discs - Which Do you Choose and Why?

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
Imagine you are about to play a tournament and, for some bizarre reason, rules state you can only play 5 discs. Which 5 would you choose, and why?

My picks:

1. All Purpose Driver: MVP Wave - middle of the road stable and my best distance disc

2. Over Stable Driver: Latitude64 Bolt - for when I need a lot of fade at the end or to hyzer bomb

3. Under Stable Mid Range: Westside Hatchet - thrown flat this disc just wants to go to the right without turning over more than any other disc I've thrown

4. Stable Mid Range: Innova Gator - it just works for me, okay?

5. Putter: Discraft Soft Banger GT - rubbery grip plus wide groove thumb fits in, just a great putter

vip - sword - slicin and dicin

med - o-lace - rubbery beef

recycled mace - i can putt in a pinch with this otherwise nice and workable midrange

esp Zone - it is like a mid range, and i putt better with thin/flat discs

swan 1 reborn - need that anny in there somewhere

i did something similar today. only i had 7 discs, and found what doesnt work well for a particular course if i only could bag a few.

Nova. Putter and main upshot disc

Leopard3. Go to driver.

Thunderbird. Distance, control and wind.

Faf firebird. Thumbers, skips, flex shots and oh shiznit saves.

And next would depending on the course be a ghost/roc or destroyer.

I usually rock only 1-3 or 10ish or the full bag. Id like to have all six discs.

Anode: Putter du jour
KC Roc: Stable mid
Glide: understable mid/fairway
Fury: distance driver/anny
Thunderbird: reliably stable

I'd pass on the overstable discs and may regret it, but need those 5...

5 discs, well I'm going missilen for distance drives straight, D5 for understable distance drives, md for straight approaches, mace for more mid range stability & dagger for putting

KC Pro Aviar
KC Pro Roc
Star TL
Champion Firebird
Star Destroyer

^^^^
This guy gets it. I'll take a wizard instead of a KC aviar, and either a scale or a whippet over a firebird. But essentially the same.

Just did this a few days ago for a work trip.

Zero Soft Pure
X Buzzz (beat)
Star Teebird (beat)
Star Valkryie
Star Firebird

Only used the Valk a few times. If it were a really open course I'd put a G* Destroyer in instead of the Valk.

Ion .. Putts ups drives on all different lines
Theory ... Understable mid but not flippyface.
Relay .. Understable fairway that does work
Volt .. Used 4 all kinds of crap.
Photon .. Faster volt bigger skips more D you know.

DX Aviar
Breaker
Buzzz
XL
Inertia

Aside from the Breaker, the other discs can hold multiple lines and take angles well etc.... giving pretty good flexibility

This has been more difficult than usual.. I'll blame the holidays for muddling my ability to fantasize about discs

Scale... or Serpent: I'd go Serpent if I could only choose one. They are my putting putter and they throw really nicely as well

Roc: plain ol' DX or KC is just fine. I can do a lot of things with them and they perform admirably in all stages of wear

Raptor: you have to have a wind fighter in your bag. The Raptor does work for me both BH & FH and devours wind

Ptero: my go-to straight to understable flyer. Tons of glide and capable of mad D if you have the right conditions

Teebird/Eagle/Tyrant (once we finish production): I have to have a good straight to hard fade fairway. I

I don't care to bag a distance driver bc I can push my fairways out to a respectable D. I would prefer to have an assortment of accurate fairway lines than have a disc that I would use a few times a month.

I'd probably bring an Atom, because it's great for putting and also can drive well.
Definitely a flat Champ Firebird for all of my control Forehands.
Yao probably Tiger line, all midrange shots.
One Champ Ape for FH disctance
and though I rarely bag it probably a Star Orc, it could cover 90% of my King and Stag shots but would just lose a bit on the max d for BH.

I've used a similar lineup while travelling and doing lose too many strokes because of it.

Wizard - my putting putter and used for anything else within 220
Comet - straight / turnover midrange
Truth - stable workhorse
TeeBird - for fairway work, but is also sneaky long.
Firebird- flicks, thumbers spike hyzers, ground skips, ect

Beefy Star TeeBird
Beat ProLine Leopard
USDGC Champ Roc
ESP Meteor
XT Aviar

I should probably just uses these five discs all the time with maybe an addition of a KC bro Aviar for driving off the tea as the XT Aviar doesn't hold up well the tree hits. I would probably score Better more consistently.

Last edited:
Just curious, what does an ESP Meteor do that a Beat Pro Leopard can't?