• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you had to move, which state?

Which state do you move to for DG?

• North Carolina

Votes: 41 44.6%
  • Oregon

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Texas

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Michigan

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • California

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Illinois

• Minnesota

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Wisconsin

• Iowa

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
Of the poll options...
North Carolina would probably be my choice.

Living my whole life here in WI, the courses are fantastic, but "I Hate Winter" is an expression I use for at least 3 (probably more) months...

I used to play during the winter, but it just isn't fun to me anymore.

I have traveled in Spring to help beat the winter doldrums, and the Augusta area seemed like a perfect fit to me. Far enough south that snow is a minor (here today, probably gone tomorrow) inconvenience. Far enough from the coast, hurricanes shouldn't be an issue. Great local courses and driving distance to more great courses.

I have traveled to the Orlando area in spring as well, great course options and the Miniac has been busy adding more...but the over-saturation of visitors [and really old (and I am 58 now) people] is concerning to me. I can probably handle the heat (I prefer hot to cold). So, I would visit there but wouldn't want to live there.

With retirement pending, COVID hopefully loosening her grip....traveling becomes MUCH more of an option. Meaning disc golf falls further down my list of things, that decide where I may want to move. I want to keep the option of four seasons, but don't really need to shovel and have winter, as my only 5 month option. Mountains make that happen. Cost of living. Price of housing. Art, cuisine, sport, concerts. Lots to think about. I think I am gonna retire and think on it a bit. I will keep y'all posted.

I think I could find several acceptable places/states in the region bounded by the Twin Cities, Manitowoc (WI), Augusta (ME), Charleston (SC), Birmingham, Memphis, Kansas City. Negative weather factors eliminating a city in that region would be excessively windy and/or rainy (not cold & snow). Negative factors among the better courses near a city on average would be too flat, too open, too much "hazardous" water (losing discs) and too much elevation (ski hills).

With retirement pending, COVID hopefully loosening her grip....traveling becomes MUCH more of an option. Meaning disc golf falls further down my list of things, that decide where I may want to move. I want to keep the option of four seasons, but don't really need to shovel and have winter, as my only 5 month option. Mountains make that happen. Cost of living. Price of housing. Art, cuisine, sport, concerts. Lots to think about. I think I am gonna retire and think on it a bit. I will keep y'all posted.

There are probably a lot more good places now, than even when this poll began.

Increasingly, most places you might choose to retire for other reasons, have good disc golf, too.

But the poll is about making a decision based only on disc golf (which I doubt anyone would actually do).

I'd much rather play in cold weather than 100°+ heat. But that's just me.

It's a matter of what you are used to; I've played 140-plus holes a day in 100-plus degree heat in Texas, but I am unlikely to play if the temperature is below 40. However, where I live in North Texas, that means I play 12 months of the year. Infrequently, a weekend offers two days too cold to play, but it isn't often that it happens on consecutive weekends.

It's a matter of what you are used to; I've played 140-plus holes a day in 100-plus degree heat in Texas, but I am unlikely to play if the temperature is below 40. However, where I live in North Texas, that means I play 12 months of the year. Infrequently, a weekend offers two days too cold to play, but it isn't often that it happens on consecutive weekends.

Sure. I'll add a few layers and be fine in the cold. Wind chill of -15 was maybe the coldest. In the heat, you can only take so many layers off. One year I played 350 days out of the year, so I also play 12 months of the year. It's all relative indeed.

Sure. I'll add a few layers and be fine in the cold. Wind chill of -15 was maybe the coldest. In the heat, you can only take so many layers off. One year I played 350 days out of the year, so I also play 12 months of the year. It's all relative indeed.

In my 40+ years I have played in as hot as 105 degrees, one 2 round tourney I think the day started at about 8am and 90 degrees with a high about 100. At least one player went to the hospital in an ambulance, sure more went on their own.

I played one Ice Bowl* (two rounds) where it was at least 10 below with wind chill pushing 30 below.

*back when Rick Rothstein oversaw the national event, but before the guys in Milwaukee broke off with "The Real Ice Bowl", "Big Freeze", "Big Chill" or whatever it is called now...

Off the top of my head: North Carolina, mostly because of the year round weather. I actually like a change of seasons, and don't mind the cold, but I could do with shorter and less severe winters.

Plus it has mountains, the Atlantic Ocean, and the fact that it's got a great DG situation would be a nice bonus.

But it's not like I've down any research or I'm ready to move.

I took the poll question at face value, which state would you move to FOR DISC GOLF. To me that meant if that was my only criteria--I was independently wealthy, could play as much as I want, etc.

There are so many great courses (for me) there, and I play and find more every time I visit. Half my personal top 10 courses are there, so its an easy choice. It also is close enough to where I live now, that I could visit all the great courses here, and not far from IL and WI as well.

I would never get bored playing DG in MI, even if that was the only state I could ever again play in.

I moved to bfe Maine a couple years ago. I wouldn't change that. In Aroostook county there are several courses up and coming that hold their own against any other. Call it frontier dg if you want, but we're gonna fill in a gap. Moving to a place that has a lot of established courses would be cool but then I'd have to deal with like, people man

East Tennessee

I chuckled a bit. Guess my public education wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I remembered a North Carolina and a South Carolina but I couldn't recall an East Tennessee and a West Tennessee.

I chuckled a bit. Guess my public education wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I remembered a North Carolina and a South Carolina but I couldn't recall an East Tennessee and a West Tennessee.

East Tennessee is just south of Virginia...
Which is south of West Virginia...
and West of West Virginia and East of West Virginia...

East Tennessee is just south of Virginia...
Which is south of West Virginia...
and West of West Virginia and East of West Virginia...

My favorite geographic fun was noting that the city of South Charleston, WV is literally NORTH of Charleston. Mostly west, but still north. Only in WV. And I used to live in WV so I can say that. :)

Joking aside, I think the east Tennessee distinction is important. It'd suck to pick Tennessee because you love the cluster of courses up I-81, then get dropped 500 miles away right off the Mississippi River.

Yeah, but that's true of a lot of states, particularly the larger states.

A flaw in the original poll.

Yeah, but that's true of a lot of states, particularly the larger states.

A flaw in the original poll.

It is a little unique for states east of the Mississippi. Because I can take a trip across 3 or 4 states. Or I can drive to Memphis.