• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ilmcgee's Bag

ilmcgee

* Ace Member *
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 12 years of casual play
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH and FH
Golf Distance for putter/mid/driver: 200'/250'/300'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Frolfer's elbow, everyday grind
Other sport proficiencies?: nothing DG related
Additional Information: throw BH and FH about 50/50 on drives/approaches depending on desired line/fade
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Trying too much new after a short layoff from DG
Specific areas of desired feedback: What I am missing? Changes? Anything?
Immediate and long-term goals: Gain confidence in BH, learn non-traditional shots

Bag:
Innova Standard/Starter Bag, 11/12 discs max, don't really want to carry any more than that either

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
171 DX Teebird, (used, not beat) - main driver
17? DX Teebird, (beat) - backup, tailwind driver
175 Evo Apache, (fairly new) - open shots, full power
167 Gstar Thunderbird, (new) - overstable/headwind

Mids:
169 S Scout, (used, not beat) - main mid, like a shorter dx tb
169 S Warrior, (used, not beat) - moar fade than Scout, working towards warrior cycle
175 SS Chief OS, (used) - FH rollers, other shots

Putters:
174 Fossil Fuel Serpent, (used) - main putter
174 Chalk RFF Scale, (used, not beat) - windy approaches, short beef
175 DX Rhyno, (beat) - driving putter, approaches, eventually replace this beast with a scale

So I finally gave up on serpents for putting, not really seeing any improvement in that area. Nothing wrong with the arrow, all the archer. Also dropped the apache as I was only getting about 20ft more than the teebird.

2x dx Tb
Gs thb
Blizz krait

S scout
S warrior
Champ gator

Dx rhyno
Rff scale

I like your setup - you are keeping in simple and you don't throw too many molds. It is always good to see Gateway mids being used. I have not thrown them myself, but I have heard they are very underrated. Is there anything in particular you feel like you are missing from your bag?

Also, what is your main putter now? The Rhyno?

Rhyno is main putter, it's pretty beat. I can pump it out as far as the scout and warrior, it has gained so much glide. It in turn will be replaced with a scale onceI I get one beat in enough. I keep telling myself I'm working towards a warrior cycle, but the scout is pretty much the only mid I throw. It's like a slighty slower and slightly beat dx teebird right out of the box. And in Gateway's base plastic, it is staying there, their plastic is superb. I'm worried about cycling warriors because they have the same hint of high speed turn as the scout but with more fade. Depending on where it loses its stability first, it may develop more turn than I want. As to what I'm missing, distance. I've definitely lost some arm speed in the past few years and not having good form is hurting me greatly.

I hear ya. Whenever I feel like I have taken a step back on distance, I always try to scale down and focus on throwing my mids and putters more (the Comet is great for this). Then I slowly work back up to the higher-speed stuff as I get my confidence back.

I was doing field work at the beginning of the year to work on form. But I was hurting my elbow. I do a lot of wrenching and hammering at work so my elbows are already stressed with no real way to get down time on them. So I quit the field work and concentrated on making proper throws during rounds. I have definitely scaled back as pro starfires were my go to driver before and was getting 50 to 75ft more. Oh well, play for fun.

Love the DX Teebirds. Banshees work well for me as a utility disc. You might find it more useful than the thunderbird. It's a slower disc too

I have definitely scaled back as pro starfires were my go to driver before and was getting 50 to 75ft more. Oh well, play for fun.

Pro SLs are great discs. One thing you might want to try is a more understable disc in that speed 9-10 area, so you don't have to stress your elbow on it but still get that extra 75 ft. of distance (which can be a lot). Discmania TD, Valkyrie, Sidewinder, Beast-L, etc.

Love the DX Teebirds. Banshees work well for me as a utility disc. You might find it more useful than the thunderbird. It's a slower disc too

Never tried a banshee. Haven't thrown the thunderbird much but it seems to do what I need it to do. My only problem with the banshee is the only premium plastic is champ, unless you buy from the factory store.

Pro SLs are great discs. One thing you might want to try is a more understable disc in that speed 9-10 area, so you don't have to stress your elbow on it but still get that extra 75 ft. of distance (which can be a lot). Discmania TD, Valkyrie, Sidewinder, Beast-L, etc.

I agree. I'm trying different stuff again looking for what fits my speed and form potential. I was hoping that the blizz krait would work, but I'm not sure yet. I had a blizz destroyer that worked great both bh and fh, but loaned it out. That's my big thing, finding disc that work bh and fh. Oh well, try new plastic and have fun.

I bought a GStar Teebird the other day and I really like it. More glide and less stable than my champ Teebirds and my star Teebird. Maybe look into that for a premium plastic to pair with your DX. I love the DX but using the GStar some saves some of the wear on my DX.

Once I got my DX Teebirds to 320 or so is when I added a premium plastic one and a sidewinder to throw on occasion. I use the sidewinder as a test for my progress but still rely on those Teebirds and cheetahs for most drives.

Sounds like I should try a gstar teebird. I'm also considering dropping scales. I want to love them, but I'm choosing between them and rhynos. What puts the rhyno ahead is it fh's better. Ugh. On the positive side, getting more comfortable with the krait. It definitely adds some distance, but needs a nice controlled fh release. Bh I can put everything on it and watch it go.

Dropped Scales, sorry JCass, the Rhyno just fits my FH better. For the first time since coming back to DG about 8 months ago, and probably since I started playing, I feel like I have an actual setup. I have the staples of any bag locked down (PnA, mid, & fairway) and are very comfortable with them. So I'm really hoping that I can come back and have the same core setup for at least a couple years.

Core:

DX Rhyno - putter(beat)
DX Rhyno - approaches & short drives(fairly freash)

S Scout - main mid, tunnel shots(getting beat)

DX Teebird - main fairway(fairly fresh)

Backups & Utility:

DX or Champ Rhyno - backup(fresh)

S Warrior - mid flex shots or moar fade(getting beat)
Champ Gator - short to mid utility shots(fresh)

DX Teebird - backup(fairly fresh)
Gstar Thunderbird - wind disc, long utility(fresh)
Blizzard Krait - max D(fresh)

I got a couple DX rhynos in my sale thread and a beat to crap DX Teebird that's really flippy. If you want them I'll hook u up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a couple purchases to try out, don't know why when I'm trying not to mix up the bag.

DX Rhyno - putter(beat)
DX Rhyno - x2 approaches & short drives(fairly freash)

Evo Scout - backup (fresh)
DX Gator - utility (trying to beat)

DX Teebird - x2 main fairway(fairly fresh)
DX Thunderbird - max D (fresh)
Gstar Thunderbird - utility (fairly fresh)

10 discs, 5 molds and the core is still in place. I doubt the Gator can ever break in to the tunnel shot master that the Scout is, even so I'm loving the flight. Also found out that DX Thunderbirds bomb with a strong forward penetrating fade. Even with no dome the DX out flies the Gstar by 20-30ft. Plus the DX of the Thunderbird is sweet, firm and grippy.

DX Rhyno - putter(beat)
DX Rhyno - x2 approaches & short drives(one dinged, other fresh)

Star Atlas - testing(dinged)
DX VRoc - testing(dinged)
Glow Champ Gator - utility

DX Teebird - main fairway
DX Dragon - hyzerflips(older run, tuned it to a flattop/more stable)
DX Thunderbird - max D/wind(freshish)

Gave up on breaking in a DX Gator, mainly since I lost it. Didn't think it would ever end up where I wanted it anyway. Plus, for how much I play, cycling would have been almost impossible. So, now I'm trying out some other Innova molds in the mid slot. As much as I love the Scout, I guess I'm trying to get to one brand, the easiest one to find. Even then, I'm working towards all DX, except for utility discs. I think I'm doing it because I'm pretty much set on what I like, but still want to buy new plastic. Oh the lure of new plastic. :eek:

The bag is still in flux, even after the intent to not change it up. I do feel like I'm dialing in on what I want. So it is the mid slot that I've been auditioning for, with the most recent being the Cro. I used to throw Cro a few years ago and always felt like they were missing in the range department. The Scout, what I'm trying to replace, is long enough it overlaps on my Teebirds short end. So far I've only been testing Innova as it is the easiest to find around here, so that I could hand pick backups. So far, the VRoc is the favorite out of what I have tested and that leads me to believe that it is time to give the Roc/Roc3 another chance. I never cared for the Roc years ago when I threw it, but times have changed and so many people can't be wrong. However, the Cro will stay in the bag for awhile and receive more testing so that it gets a fair chance.

DX Rhyno - putter
DX Rhyno - approaches, short drives

DX VRoc - BH mid shots
DX Cro - testing
Star Cro - Testing
Glow Champ Gator - old skool OS mid stuff
S Scout - tunnel shots

DX Dragon - pfn, flattened, max d, flips
Gummy Glow Champ Teebird - testing

DX Rhyno x3 - putter and two drivers/approaches

DX VRoc - straight mid
DX Roc - testing
Star Gator - OS mid
Glow Champ Gator - beef

DX Dragon - US fairway, max d
Gummy Glow Champ Teebird - OS fairway, utility

Finally got out and played the other day, wasn't much fun in the 30 mph wind gusts. Made me glad I had put the Star Gator in tho. Really wanted to get out and test the DX Roc and GGC Teebird, but the wind made it pretty hard. We played at the pitch and putt since my boys came and I doubt they enjoyed the wind either. But the Star Gator stepped up and took 90% of headwind shots and most putts. Never a good putter, but it was an easy adjustment to the Gator and I putted as well as normal despite the wind. Hope to get back out soon and really put the Roc to work.

Took this out this past weekend:

2x dx Rhyno - one putting & one approaching
Electron Atom - testing

Dx VRoc - straight mid
Dx Roc - testing
Andro C - testing
Star Gator - gator stuff

Dx Dragon - tuned to US teebird
Dx Teebird - straight fairway
Glow XG Champ Teebird - beef fairway

Taking this coming weekend:

3x Dx Rhyno - one putt & two throwers
Electron Atom - testing

Evo Scout - straight mid
Andro C - slight os mid
Star Gator - gator stuff

Dx Dragon - flip machine
Dx Teebird - main fairway
GGC Teebird - beef fairway

One of these days I'll get a Dx Teebird back to flippy and replace the Dragon. Flattening it helped it's stability but killed the glide. It's hard not to like because the plastic reminds me of Dx Thunderbirds. The Andro C performed well and I look forward to throwing it a bunch now that I have a better idea of what it can do. The Atom was hit and miss for me. It doesn't really have a place in my bag but I have been wanting to throw some Gyro. Had I known that Electron Vectors were coming I would have waited for them.

can't go wrong with a Krait for BH and FH drives, I've recently fallen in love -again- with my Gstar mcbeth Krait