• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm done paying out for Aces, metal, etc (521)

When I play a tournament, I no longer pay the extra $ for the ace pool. I never hit the ace & I got sick of always paying for somebody else to hit a lucky shot. If I do hit another ace (I've got one so far) I will be happy with the shot.
Beyond the 'ACE POOL', around here, people expect to be paid if you are present when they hit an ace (or chains or metal). It's called '521'. At first it seemed OK. Yeah, you made a hole in one. Pretty cool. I can give you some cash for that.What? I have to give you $5.00? Or $2.00 for chains or a buck for metal? Just because I was there?
Lately, it seems like I am always paying out cash for aces/metal, etc. I'm sick of it! Cant people just be happy with the great shot? I know I would be. I've only had one ace. It was over 4 years ago. When I hit my ace, nobody ponied up any cash for me.
I play with guys who hit an ace almost every time they play. Most times they at least hit metal or chains. This can get expensive! For those that know about '521' (me), you get guilted into paying. For those that dont know about it, they walk away with a full wallet.
Examples:
1) We're playing a 2 round tourney & one of the guys in my group hits 2 aces & 4 metal/chain hits. I had to pay him $16.00. I'm not sure how many of the others in the group paid. He was working us all during the rest of the round about '521'.
2) I'm playing a round with some friends. One of the guys hits an ace. Bang, he's on me in the parking lot. "Hey man, you got that $5.00 for me right?". This guys done this twice with me. Others in the group were harrassed into paying as well. I dont know if they actually paid or not. Some escaped out the side exit maybe?
3) I'm playing a round of doubles & one of the guys in my group hits metal on one basket & then aces another. Later he says to me: hey, '521'? I remind him that I had also hit chains one time during the round so that's a two dollar push. I then say I "dont have the other $4.00 on me right now", hoping to skate out of this crap. My partner & I end up in a tie with them & we have a playoff for 3rd place. We win the CTP & my share is $4.00. Cool, at least I made some money back. Perfect! Up walks my 'ace buddy'. Hey dude. It looks like you can pay me now:D. The crapper here is that my partner was a noob & didnt know about '521' so he walks away free.
4) I'm in a group during casual play. My buddy hits an ace. I did not see or even hear it. Yet here he comes with his hand out. Hey man, I didnt even get to see it & I still have to pay you $5.00. That's crap!

How do you get out of paying? Or does everybody just pay & I'm a tight wad?

Sounds to me like you need to start playing on longer and more difficult courses. As for the 5-2-1, that game is garbage!!! An ace, maybe a coulple of bucks but if they occur that often at your course then forget about it!:wall:

I nicked the chains on a near skip-ace on Sunday. This was during a monthly singles event my club runs, so it would be the right environment for "counting" that stuff. One of guys in the group offered me a dollar, but I told him "I don't want your money." I think it's kind of cheesy to ask people to pay you for a good shot when you've already got money on the round and in the ace pot. And I'd rather be parked quietly under the basket than nick it on the way 50' past it.

You can just opt out of 5-3-1 and say you don't do that.

That's really the end of it. Just make it clear prior to the round that you don't play that way anymore. If people give you crap about it, you really need to re-assess whether they worth playing with. DG is all about having a good time. Don't let others kill your buzz.

Really though I don't see the problem with 5-3-1, I play it with almost all my friends of equal skill level. I don't play it with my Am friends though b/c it doesn't seem fair considering I have more aces than all of them combined. We also usually don't play on really short courses, Kentwood being a good example, b/c most of us are ace running all the holes we can for fun and would be paying out money on half the holes.

This reminds me, who else here does Quarter Holes once a round? It's pretty fun when done on the right hole.

Just tell 'em, "no 521 for me" when you get to the course. End of story. If they don't like it, oh well.

Is it nice to get paid for an ace? Sure. Do I expect people to pay up on an ace I hit? Not at all. Whatever the rule is I am a fan of thinking of the rule as a suggestion, not the law. I was so shocked when I hit my first and only ace at my first tournament that I told everyone to keep their cash. I still walked with $37 from the 90+ registered entrants. So, don't expect a gift but be thankful for what you get.

I only pay for aces; $5. Actually, if it's a good friend; I'll offer up $1 for chains; which is often refused. It's nice to make a pay day if you hit an ace. I payed out for two in March; not on easy courses; but on an easy hole on two different courses. Can get expensive; but it should all even out in the long run. No one around here expects everyone to pay...if you're in, you're in; if not, so be it...it's rare that everyone you're playing with pays. But, it is nice; if you're playing some gang golf; to end up with $30. You are them semi-obligated to buy a round or two at the bar after play; if that's where the group is headed.

You guys must play some easy courses, I've hit a couple aces in my days but they've all been on 250-350 ft holes and a couple out of the thousands of times I've played is a really low percentage. I dont get courses designed with multiple holes under 200' unless they're in thick woods. Just doesn't seem like real DG to me if you can play the whole course with a Roc.

I have played what you call "521" before but it was specified BEFORE the 1st disc of the round was thrown. If somebody I was playing with didn't say anything before the round started, and still expected me to pay them for an ace, I would tell them to F**k off!!!

Btw, my friends and I call this "dirty dollars" b/c we all throw $1 on the ground before every hole... and we play $3 for chains.

how'd you come to call it dirty dollars? I wonder cause that's not quite how dd goes. Not tryin to hate, just wondering. If you want clarity on dd let me know.

I'd like to know about these dirty dollars, I like any way to gamble on DG as long as its just a couple bucks.

Really though I don't see the problem with 5-3-1, I play it with almost all my friends of equal skill level. I don't play it with my Am friends though b/c it doesn't seem fair considering I have more aces than all of them combined. We also usually don't play on really short courses, Kentwood being a good example, b/c most of us are ace running all the holes we can for fun and would be paying out money on half the holes.

This reminds me, who else here does Quarter Holes once a round? It's pretty fun when done on the right hole.

LOL 521 or 531 on Kentwood is asking for hustles.

Which is exactly what is happening in the OP. Sorry to say, but you're getting the panhandlers because you keep letting it happen. You've just got to put your foot down and stop funding it, your friends are probably trying harder to ace run everything just because they know you'll pay. You're not a bad person or a miser if you don't want to drop $10+ every time your "buddies" throw a piece of plastic at a piece of metal.

Alternatively, you could tell them "ok I'll play 521, but every time you don't hit anything you give me a quarter."

You'll make that $$ back :D

I was just reminded of a time I played with a local group of guys when I lived out in So Cal and there was one hole they all wanted to pay out like this. It is basically a blind hole that was easy enough to hit. I declared before hand that I couldn't pay or that I didn't want to pay. Of course, I was the only one to actually hit metal, lucky enough to slide into the post for a drop in deuce. They all gave me a hard time but honestly I was just glad to show up those guys on the hole.

Whatever happened to a buck for an ace? That's all I've seen. Chains/Metal is still a miss.

Thanks for the advice! Sorry, I aint payin' is what I'm gonna be sayin'

Funny (?) side note: I'm playin with one of the aformentioned guys who I've paid a bunch of cash to. I throw my drive & while it's in the air, heading for a possible ace, he blurts out real quick: "I'm not payin out". My shot ultimately does not go in for an ace but is that messed up or what?

What I've come to realize is that this is extra income for some of these guys. Hey, if your good at something, why not make some cash while your at it? Especially since the economy is so bad. It's like a second job to a real good player. But once you turn pro or money gets involved with a game, it no longer is as fun. Unless your winning!:D

I'd like to know about these dirty dollars, I like any way to gamble on DG as long as its just a couple bucks.

It works best in mob golf. At my league, there's a mob that anyone is welcome to join. At Hudson mills, there's two courses so they rotate. It's cool cause you can make $20 on one hole.
So when you walk to the tee, you decide if you want in.
Everyone that's in tosses a buck on the ground and some dirt is tossed on em.
Whoever has the ctp AND hits thier birdie gets the stack:)

Latest posts