• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm done returning discs

Could be. What is certain though is that imposing obligations wantonly and discarding personal property is similarly immoral. What gives anyone the moral authority to impose significant demands on others for their own carelessness, misfortune, or unwillingness to spend their own time finding their property? That is a similarly 'poopy'.

And what is up with the shaming? And why assert the false statement that it's 'other people's property' when it has been intentionally abandoned?

If we can't discuss this unemotionally, it's only going to make the community worse.

I love the noble intent, but from a practical standpoint, it just doesn't play out that way and it would be much more simple with much less moral baggage to return to finders keepers--which also seems more in keeping with the law of the land.

I'll hang up and listen.

a lost disc is not discarded. it is lost.

a lost disc is not abandoned. it is lost.

If a disc has someone's name and phone number on it then your "finders keepers" philosophy is BS. Would you keep someone's wallet, purse, phone, etc that you find on the course? :wall:

To find a disc and consider it "intentionally abandoned" is laughable.

Well this is going well. :p

If I found someone's wallet, phone, etc., of course I'd return it, as would any upright person. It's clear that they didn't know they dropped it and this is just the right thing to do. The other day someone dropped their purse with their passport in it and I spent an hour hunting them down because that's the right thing to do. I also think that, legally speaking, you are a bailee of that personal property because there was no intention.

I don't see it the same with discs. People don't just accidentally drop their disc, they throw it and when they give up looking for it, they leave it. That 'giving up' looking for it, to me, is intentional. When I quit searching for a disc a lost, there is definitely a moment when I decide to call off the search.

I accept that I am passing along a disc that I abandon to the next person, I hope they find it, and love it like I did. I hope when they see it, and see that there is no number on it, that they feel like they have found treasure. And I think it would be wrong of me to impose a moral and resource burden on them to take pains to return what I lost.

I don't see it the same with discs. People don't just accidentally drop their disc, they throw it and when they give up looking for it, they leave it. That 'giving up' looking for it, to me, is intentional. When I quit searching for a disc a lost, there is definitely a moment when I decide to call off the search.

I accept that I am passing along a disc that I abandon to the next person, I hope they find it, and love it like I did. I hope when they see it, and see that there is no number on it, that they feel like they have found treasure. And I think it would be wrong of me to impose a moral and resource burden on them to take pains to return what I lost.

what if somebody loses a disc just before dusk? as soon as they leave the course because they can't/don't want to search in the dark (for any number of reasons, such as safety) according to you they've abandoned it and you'd take it if you found it the next morning before they had a chance to come back and look again.

returning a disc ISN'T HARD. you're just trying to make up reasons about why it's different than other kind of property to make yourself feel better.

here's a solution to you if returning discs is too hard: don't pick up lost discs. let other people deal with it. maybe they will actually be decent people!

I text then hide the discs, if they don't pick it up that's on them, no matter the value.
I have had problems getting discs back to their owners also, most don't seem to want to put the effort in to get them back.
People can think what they want but my efforts to return a disc is going to be less than the owners effort, I promise that.

This seems reasonable.

Sorry, I just got super jaded about it from my experience. I see many others have had the same experience. It's all good, I like it when people are reunited with a dear friend. I don't think people should ink their discs is my conclusion...carry on...

don't say you're sorry when you're clearly not sorry. you're gonna do what you're gonna do but don't come on here and expect people to agree with it.

but i waste my time cuz this is obviously not a teachable moment

here's a solution to you if returning discs is too hard: don't pick up lost discs. let other people deal with it. maybe they will actually be decent people!
came here to say this ^ (though there have already been many threads with this conclusion)
ink (especially a phone#) on a disc means the person put it there expecting to get it back in the event they lose it.
so yeah, it does test the moral compass & conscience. for me, throwing someone else's disc w/o doing what i can to return it, doesn't feel right.
viewing judging others conscience is why these threads always get locked

Again, maybe I'm just in the right place at the right time, but I've had not only had good luck returning discs, but pretty good luck getting discs back.

I've been doing a fair amount of field work over the last month, and just in the last two weeks have managed to leave two discs on the baseball fields next to the course. The first time someone left it sitting on the course map board and texted me with a pic of where it was. Picked it up a little later, no problem. I was very happy about this one, because it has one of my (only 2, sadface) aces on it.

Just this week I again left one on the field, and someone texted to say they left it sitting on a bench sitting next to the first tee pad. The park was already closed at that point, so I went the next morning but it had been snagged by someone. Lo and behold that afternoon I got a facebook message from someone else saying they had found my disc on the bench next to #1 and asking where we could meet up so I could get it back. Turns out it was a guy I had just met the week prior doing a work day at another course. So I'm going to get that one back from him tomorrow.

Yeah, I've had discs not returned as well, but I'm not keeping score. Where's the point in that? It's nice to get discs back, but I would return discs regardless. John Doe did me wrong, so I'm going to take it out on John Owensdisk? Makes no sense.

This is not obligation, it's just taking a small step to make the world just a tiny bit better.

I return a lot of discs, two of my courses have ponds and gobble up lots of disc. I occasionally will dunk one myself and I will either rake or go in and look for my own discs and I will find always find several more. People are often very annoying with the whole disc return process. They want you to meet them somewhere and won't come to me. I live in Kansas City and we have two local shops that we can drop them off. One of them Dynamic Discs - Kansas City is about 35 minutes from my house and I rarely visit that shop, maybe twice a year. The other one is closer to my house and the courses where I find my discs and only about 10 minutes from my house, it's called Truly Unique.

So many people get mad at me because I won't drive to DDKC and will go to Truly Unique. I don't give them an option. I say it will be there and TU will text them that it was dropped off there. I stopped posting I found so and so disc in the ponds on FB or similar, because I will get hundreds of "did you find my disc in the pond requests". Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man. For the record, I am fairly well-known in KC so if I happen to lose a disc I get them returned. My favorite story was a new player who found my 2015 Sexton Firebird that I left on a course after throwing too many extra shots and not picking them all up. This was before the market completely exploded on Sextons, but already was a $100+ disc. He called and I loaded him up with about 4 discs to replace them and as a thank you.

I just returned a disc, literally 5 minutes ago. Had been playing text tag with the owner for a week or two -- busy schedules and whatnot. He finally made the drive to my office to get it. He was very happy to get his Destroyer back.

A few weeks ago, I returned a G-line PD that my friend found on the course. We text the owner mid-round, and he lives a few blocks from my in-laws' (where I was already going after the round) so I brought it to his house. He was very happy to get his disc back. He offered me $20 for it, which was unneeded.

It's not THAT difficult, folks. Or maybe I'm just ultra talented.

I'm just glad someone texted my about my Buzzz they found in the creek bed on Lincoln Ridge #15. That wasn't an easy retrieval. I saw it, but didn't feel sure footed enough to get it safely. I also saw someone else's purple disc down there, but again, that's a bit of a dicey location, and I'm not as nimble as I used to be.

Sending a mailer prepaid, addressed mailer out to them today. :)
Update: checked to see if the mailer I sent had arrived. Gotta love how USPS routed something going from Detroit to Cincy through Des Moines, IA. :confused:

LOL. Sometimes, I think their tracking is one of those "For entertainment purposes only" type of things.

It'll get there, when it gets there, I suppose.;)

On the moral aspect, it is not what someone else thinks or feels, it is what I believe and feel that counts.

If I return a disc and the receiver doesn't even offer a thanks, that would be on them.

I'm happy to find discs with no ink and try them out. Figure it as a gift from a friend I don't know.

If it's legibly inked a text and stash it on the course is a non issue.

possibly the most interesting part about hawgdriver's perspective is that he's not a new player who was told by other players that it's ok to keep found discs with contact info on it. I have to admit I was not good about returning found discs when I first started. that was largely because I trusted the people showing me the game to tell me correct info and I didn't pause for a second to think about whether they were right - I was too busy having a blast and being a newb.

when I got fully addicted to the sport it became something that I did not always with the same group of people that showed me the ropes and so I started to realize that they were just entirely wrong. so I did what I could to return the discs I had taken as a new player and did my best from then on to return discs.

hawgdriver doesn't even have that excuse. sad :(

Latest posts