• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm opening a DG Pro Shop!

Good luck! I would say pretty much what everyone else said.

From one owner to the next:
-Definitely 100% order the new releases as soon as you get word on their launch. People go nuts over anything new. BUT, on some of them, you'll have to try and make an educated guess on what will sell. It took me 2 months to sell 15 first run Innova Mystere, 3 months to sell 10 DD first run Criminal, but only 3 days to sell 40 Champ RocX3. Sometimes it's just a guessing game.
-I'm sure you have a decent idea as to what will sell well, but make sure you really pay attention to the trends in your store over the first 12 months. You obviously don't want to re-order something that you still have 5 of on the shelf from 2 months ago
-Keep your books clean and well organized. However you choose to do inventory, make sure you're able to track every single disc and weight class so you can see the trends and know exactly what you need to re-order.
-Don't focus a ton on special customer requests. As someone mentioned, you'll end up sitting on them. Probably 75% of special requests that I have fulfilled end up not being purchased by the person that requested them. I pretty much don't do it anymore unless it's something that I know I will sell if the person doesn't show up.
-An obvious statement on the money side of things, is make sure your time invested is worth it to you in your wallet and/or heart
-Something to think about, too, is if you can't afford to place an order, then don't do it. I have had talks with Innova/MVP/DD about retailers that require credit terms. That just boggles my mind. You'll never get out of the hole if you're buying on credit all of the time. You should have enough profit built in to your price points to pay your bills, order inventory, then pay yourself with what's left over. Sometimes, for me, that means not taking a paycheck for a month if I absolutely need to place an order.
-Another thought is to make sure your disc displays are easy to surf through and easy to stock and organize. I personally hate most of the wire racks out there that have the discs going front to back. I use PVC racks that I built. I think Glide uses some really nice wood boxes.
-Personally, I am anti Facebook groups, but to each their own. They're good for getting your name out there, but they are way too time consuming, and add an extra step to inventory each order. Do you have time to PM back and forth with a lot of people? If you get something special or rare in one of your orders, then FB is the place to go to make a few extra bucks for sure. If you run pre-orders on something that point the person to your online store, that works too. But overall, if you're running a brick and mortar, and an online shop, then direct Facebook PM sales are just a lot of time spent for meager sales.
-Finally, customer service is huge, obviously, lol.

Ignore the River Valley at your peril, there are many b-tiers down in the valley (Vintage Open, Arkansas Am Champ, Alma Greens, Hell on the Boarder) . And i do not think there is a dedicated disc only shop in Ft Smith or Little Rock most are side businesses that feature something else. In Russellville there is a place to buy discs in a bicycle and lawnmower shop, and in Conway it is in a table top gaming store.

Good luck! I would say pretty much what everyone else said.

From one owner to the next:
-Definitely 100% order the new releases as soon as you get word on their launch. People go nuts over anything new. BUT, on some of them, you'll have to try and make an educated guess on what will sell. It took me 2 months to sell 15 first run Innova Mystere, 3 months to sell 10 DD first run Criminal, but only 3 days to sell 40 Champ RocX3. Sometimes it's just a guessing game.
-I'm sure you have a decent idea as to what will sell well, but make sure you really pay attention to the trends in your store over the first 12 months. You obviously don't want to re-order something that you still have 5 of on the shelf from 2 months ago
-Keep your books clean and well organized. However you choose to do inventory, make sure you're able to track every single disc and weight class so you can see the trends and know exactly what you need to re-order.
-Don't focus a ton on special customer requests. As someone mentioned, you'll end up sitting on them. Probably 75% of special requests that I have fulfilled end up not being purchased by the person that requested them. I pretty much don't do it anymore unless it's something that I know I will sell if the person doesn't show up.
-An obvious statement on the money side of things, is make sure your time invested is worth it to you in your wallet and/or heart
-Something to think about, too, is if you can't afford to place an order, then don't do it. I have had talks with Innova/MVP/DD about retailers that require credit terms. That just boggles my mind. You'll never get out of the hole if you're buying on credit all of the time. You should have enough profit built in to your price points to pay your bills, order inventory, then pay yourself with what's left over. Sometimes, for me, that means not taking a paycheck for a month if I absolutely need to place an order.
-Another thought is to make sure your disc displays are easy to surf through and easy to stock and organize. I personally hate most of the wire racks out there that have the discs going front to back. I use PVC racks that I built. I think Glide uses some really nice wood boxes.
-Personally, I am anti Facebook groups, but to each their own. They're good for getting your name out there, but they are way too time consuming, and add an extra step to inventory each order. Do you have time to PM back and forth with a lot of people? If you get something special or rare in one of your orders, then FB is the place to go to make a few extra bucks for sure. If you run pre-orders on something that point the person to your online store, that works too. But overall, if you're running a brick and mortar, and an online shop, then direct Facebook PM sales are just a lot of time spent for meager sales.

Lots of good advice here, but I have to disagree with the bolded section.

Even if you have cash to pay for an order now, why would you if you can get 30 day terms? It's related to the time value of money. $1 dollar in your pocket is worth more than $1 dollar a month from now, because if you have a month to pay you could instead choose to invest the dollar (I know interest rates are minuscule, but the principal still holds). Credit terms are effectively a discount. If you can get a vendor to give you terms (probably difficult for a start up, but you can always ask after a few orders are paid on time); do it.

I work for a make to order manufacturing company. We have 60-90 day terms with the majority of our vendors and have 8 week lead times for customer orders. If we give our customers 30 day terms, we have a much smaller gap between paying for materials and collecting revenue than we would if we prepaid for materials.

Some of my experience from working in a non-DG hobby shop a few decades ago.

Definitely 100% order the new releases as soon as you get word on their launch. People go nuts over anything new. BUT, on some of them, you'll have to try and make an educated guess on what will sell. It took me 2 months to sell 15 first run Innova Mystere, 3 months to sell 10 DD first run Criminal, but only 3 days to sell 40 Champ RocX3. Sometimes it's just a guessing game.
You might try a promotional pre-order program. Offer a small discount if people order and pay for new stuff in advance. This might give you a better idea of how popular that new release will be and puts a little cash in the bank to help pay for the order on time.

Get a good computerized point-of-sale system. We had one back in the hobby shop in the early 90's. Even back then, it had some good reports we used to do inventories (hopefully you don't have much, if any, "shrinkage") and generate lists of stuff we needed to order. With the expansion of data science in the last decade alone, they should have some pretty nifty software for helping you with decision making.
Don't focus a ton on special customer requests. As someone mentioned, you'll end up sitting on them. Probably 75% of special requests that I have fulfilled end up not being purchased by the person that requested them. I pretty much don't do it anymore unless it's something that I know I will sell if the person doesn't show up.
Make them put their money where their mouth is. Don't order it if you can't at least collect enough to cover your costs in advance.
Something to think about, too, is if you can't afford to place an order, then don't do it. I have had talks with Innova/MVP/DD about retailers that require credit terms. That just boggles my mind. You'll never get out of the hole if you're buying on credit all of the time. You should have enough profit built in to your price points to pay your bills, order inventory, then pay yourself with what's left over. Sometimes, for me, that means not taking a paycheck for a month if I absolutely need to place an order.
...unless you get terms that are in your favor. The hobby shop I worked at usually paid their suppliers in cash (literally C.O.D.) because they gave an extra discount for immediate payment. If you don't get a discount and don't have to pay interest for paying later, then use your judgement.
These kind of go together. You might do some research and find out what your potential customers use. If a lot of them use Facebook, then it might be worth it for you to have a presence there.

Take your time and think through as many of the possibilities as you can. Work out those potential problems before you pull the trigger and open up shop. It will be a much more enjoyable venture for you if you do. The fact that you're seeking out advice in advance tells me that you have a good chance to make this work. You got this!

Even if you have cash to pay for an order now, why would you if you can get 30 day terms? It's related to the time value of money. $1 dollar in your pocket is worth more than $1 dollar a month from now, because if you have a month to pay you could instead choose to invest the dollar (I know interest rates are minuscule, but the principal still holds). Credit terms are effectively a discount. If you can get a vendor to give you terms (probably difficult for a start up, but you can always ask after a few orders are paid on time); do it.

I work for a make to order manufacturing company. We have 60-90 day terms with the majority of our vendors and have 8 week lead times for customer orders. If we give our customers 30 day terms, we have a much smaller gap between paying for materials and collecting revenue than we would if we prepaid for materials.

Very true. I guess I omitted an important piece to this puzzle. The discussions that I had with the mfg's was about how they have to put in a lot of work chasing down vendors that don't end up paying on time with many going to collections. They all gave me the impression that that is how a majority of vendors that use terms operate, which is why I was so boggled. But yea, by all means, if the terms are in the vendor's favor, and the vendor can and will pay within the terms with no problems, then definitely try the system.

Ignore the River Valley at your peril, there are many b-tiers down in the valley (Vintage Open, Arkansas Am Champ, Alma Greens, Hell on the Boarder) . And i do not think there is a dedicated disc only shop in Ft Smith or Little Rock most are side businesses that feature something else. In Russellville there is a place to buy discs in a bicycle and lawnmower shop, and in Conway it is in a table top gaming store.

I'm trying to make it to the Alma Greens. Beautiful course that really fits my game. Smart to hold in in Fall, will be beautiful. Plus in the Summer the heat is very prevalent on the first 7ish holes, out on those cliffs.

So, what your pointing out here is that Im talking about opening the first Disc Golf Pro Shop in the state? I guess theres not one at all is there?

I am not sure, i know there isn't one now in this part of the state, I dont know about NWA or Little Rock, but for its size Little Rock has very few courses. There might be one in Hot Springs, there are a few good courses there.

A quick lookup on Innova's Dealer locator:
Mizewell Games, Conway
Elk and Eagle Trading Post, Leslie
Ouachita Outdoor Outfitters, Hot Springs
Academy Sports , Little Rock
Dick's Sporting Goods, Hot Springs
Abby Road, North Little Rock
City of Bryant Parks and Rec.
Academy Sports, Sherwood
A to Z Sporting Goods, Alma
The Woodsman , Fort Smith
Academy Sports , Fort Smith
Play It Again Sports , Fort Smith
Midwest Sporting Goods , Fort Smith
Caddo Valley Landing
Fayetteville Funky Yardsale, Fayetteville
Play It Again Sports, Fayetteville
Pack Rat , Fayetteville
Southtown Sporting Goods , Fayetteville
Lewis & Clark Outfitters , Springdale
Ace Place , Fayetteville
Lyon College , Batesville
Lewis and Clark Outfitters , Rogers

Carr's Chain Reaction Russellville, Not on the list but i know it exists.

Just want to add that you should get a business credit card with some kind of rewards system.. Pay for everything you can with the card, and make sure to pay it off every month. Whether you want cash back, or airline miles, it will add up throughout the year..

I'm excited to announce that I'm currently building plans to open a Disc Golf Pro Shop in my community! I've been absolutely captivated by this sport since i started only a couple years ago and now I've decided to do make it the platform for my everyday life. My community has a booming Disc Golf scene but doesnt have access to the recouces needed for the avid Disc Golfer. I want to give it to them. I've never been more confident that the time and place is perfect and that this is what my life has been building towards for years.

Any thoughts, tips, advice or suggestions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

3 pieces of advice:

- Find what makes your store different than the 1000 others. Don't neglect your branding.

- Have a polished online store look and great customer interface. Don't half ass the website. It's not enough to just do brick & mortar anymore.

- Two words: Social Media. If you're not using IG and Snapchat extensively, you're missing the key demographic in disc golf. If it's not something you're good at, find a local kid with social media skills and bring him/her into the fold. You'll be leaving so much money on the table if you don't grind out the social media space.

A quick lookup on Innova's Dealer locator:
Mizewell Games, Conway
Elk and Eagle Trading Post, Leslie
Ouachita Outdoor Outfitters, Hot Springs
Academy Sports , Little Rock
Dick's Sporting Goods, Hot Springs
Abby Road, North Little Rock
City of Bryant Parks and Rec.
Academy Sports, Sherwood
A to Z Sporting Goods, Alma
The Woodsman , Fort Smith
Academy Sports , Fort Smith
Play It Again Sports , Fort Smith
Midwest Sporting Goods , Fort Smith
Caddo Valley Landing
Fayetteville Funky Yardsale, Fayetteville
Play It Again Sports, Fayetteville
Pack Rat , Fayetteville
Southtown Sporting Goods , Fayetteville
Lewis & Clark Outfitters , Springdale
Ace Place , Fayetteville
Lyon College , Batesville
Lewis and Clark Outfitters , Rogers

Carr's Chain Reaction Russellville, Not on the list but i know it exists.

K, so, this is exactly the opposite of what Im talking about. None of these are Disc Golf Pro Shops. These are all sporting goods stores that have a rack with some discs for sale. Besides, i know from personal experience, half of these places are out of business already and some of them no longer sell discs at all.

Im talking about opening a Pro Shop that is geared only towards Disc Golf. Sorry, but PIAS is absolutely not a "Disc Golf Pro Shop."

Have you done enough research to determine if the sport has grown big enough yet to support a dedicated "Pro Shop" like regular golf?

I don't see it yet or even in the near future. DG is still a fringe sport at the moment. I live in the Charlotte, NC area which has a comparatively thriving DG scene, yet I haven't seen a single brick and mortar shop dedicated solely to DG. Every one I am aware of has some other draw where they make their bread & butter. I've seen everything from Brew Pubs, Tobacco Shops, Vape Shops and RC Hobby Shops combined with DG but have yet to see an exclusive DG Shop.

If you have strong enough internet/mail order sales you could support the brick and mortar shop that way. Retail Storefront with warehousing for internet/mail order sales in the back.

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything just hoping you have thought this threw carefully before you take out a second mortgage on the house.

This http://www.anotherrounddiscgolf.com/ is about the closest I've seen to what I think you are talking about. They do a weekly web cast with visiting pros, they sponsor all kinds of local DG events including many inhouse events. But they also sell craft beer.

Best of luck.

It's a tough market.

I'm an owner of Another Round and we do everything we can to sustain. It's a total passion and the people are fantastic, but be prepared for a grind.

We definitely have our weaknesses, but we try to serve our community and understand our customers the best we can. As far as serving beer, it was something that just sets us apart and provides a unique environment. We happen to love craft beer too and the NC beer laws allow us to capitalize on it! It's still a disc golf shop #1 and always will be :)

Good Luck!!

So, I'm coming back to this thread three months later with an official update.

After research within my community, it was ultimately determined that it was the general consensus that a disc golf pro shop would not flourish eefectively to the extent of pursuance. In short, I have not opened a disc golf pro shop.

Most local players, including some pro players, ageed that "We're not quite there yet." Although I do not necessarily agree with that, it didnt seem as promising of a business model as I had hoped.

Other ideas did arise in the midst of all this planning. The idea of a disc golf themed bar came up. A local pub that has baskets instead of dart boards was sort of the feel for that one. Then you start getting into liqour licenses etc.

In the end, I want to thank everyone for your advice and support. I'm appreciative to have this community here on DGCR to bounce these kinds of ideas off of. I learned alot and I'm glad I at least tried. Ultimately, i'ts just not going to work right here right now.

In closing, thank you all again and good luck in your own adventures. Cheers!

We had a putting league at a local Brewery that ran for 6 weeks on Wed. nights, and was bringing in 30-40 participents. This was great for their business obviously. When the league ended, they were immediately wondering when a new one could start up. A bar with a putting league might not be a bad idea.