• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm over backpack bag hype

jfrosty42

$5?! Maaaannnnn...
I really miss being able to access my whole bag while I'm walking to the next hole. With my old bag, I could put discs back in my bag with both shoulder straps on. Putters slipped into/out of the putter slot so easily while walking. My Grip bag is a different story though. Almost impossible to get my putter in/out without taking the bag off. Really annoying for tap ins.

If I'm playing a hilly course, it's hard to set my Grip down and keep it upright. Really annoying, especially if the ground is wet.

I do love the rainfly on the Grip - it's one of the reasons I got a backpack. I like my discs/towels to stay dry... but who doesn't? When I go back to a regular bag, I'll just end up buying the Fade straps with the rainfly.

I'd like to start rocking a 2 bag setup as well. A bigger one for everything my Grip holds right now, and a smaller bag for winter, short courses, mountain courses, etc. I'd just leave them both in the car and switch the straps/discs to the other bag if I needed to.

I used to rock a Revo Carolina bag with Phenix straps, but if it rained, it was hard to keep everything dry. I loved that bag, don't get me wrong, I used it for about 6 years. I like the storage pockets better on the Voodoos a little more, which is why I'm leaning toward them.

As of right now, I'm thinking of a Mojo/Karma setup. The Juju is a little small for me.. I like to have 2 drink holders and extra space for jackets, extra socks, etc. The Zulu is just ridiculously big.

Any thoughts?

Great story man. Get a grip A series.

:doh: I think if I were to ever get a backpack style bag again, I'd prolly get the Mahal - lifetime warranty with the ability to "shrink" or get bigger depending on what I'd need to carry for that course.

If you go the Voodoo route for sure get the Karma, it's a really great bag. Also check out Gorilla Boy, they make great bags also. IMO if you don't go the backpack route Voodoo & Gorilla Boy make the best bags.

If you go the Voodoo route for sure get the Karma, it's a really great bag. Also check out Gorilla Boy, they make great bags also. IMO if you don't go the backpack route Voodoo & Gorilla Boy make the best bags.

Gorilla Boy's website doesn't really have much info. The only bag I see is the Simian (not interested) and the Silverback.

:doh: I think if I were to ever get a backpack style bag again, I'd prolly get the Mahal - lifetime warranty with the ability to "shrink" or get bigger depending on what I'd need to carry for that course.

My point was that you're two main complaints: that you can't get your putters out for tap ins and that it doesn't stand up well, we fixed with the new series.

What you failed to mentioned is the lesser comfort and back strain that quadshocks will put on you. So you're not dropping a back with flaws for one that doesn't.

Good luck though, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

+1 for GB. Bags are SOLID. Never seen a voodoo in person. If you want a small bag with two cup holders 100% the GB squirrel monkey is for you if you can find it. Best bag for 8-10 discs out there IMO

I'm on the fence with this right now. I prefer playing out of a tourney style bag, and I have the Lat 64 Pro Bag, which is awesome. Plenty of room for discs, tons of storage and the things built of bombproof material. The thing that makes me want to get a backpack is I've just built up a commuter bicycle to start riding places, the course being one. A backpack bag would be WAY more comfortable on a bike....But I really prefer the Lat Pro....

My point was that you're two main complaints: that you can't get your putters out for tap ins and that it doesn't stand up well, we fixed with the new series.

What you failed to mentioned is the lesser comfort and back strain that quadshocks will put on you. So you're not dropping a back with flaws for one that doesn't.

Good luck though, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

+1 for GB. Bags are SOLID. Never seen a voodoo in person. If you want a small bag with two cup holders 100% the GB squirrel monkey is for you if you can find it. Best bag for 8-10 discs out there IMO

And I get 14 in mine, incl 3 Rocs and 2 putters!

I rocked quads on a Revo for 6 years, and never had an issue with comfort - even on 3 round days.

I'm not a fan of the new Grip. I don't like how it looks and it will still roll over easier than a tourney style bag.

My small bag would have to be bigger than the GB Squirrel bag. It doesn't seem to have much extra storage. I like the disc capacity, though. Something like the Voodoo Mojo is considered a small bag for my needs. Anything smaller (storage wise) is too small.

The GB silverback would be great, I love the squirrel monkey I have and am looking at picking up a silverback for more storage. Email Chris for more info about the bag, as the website is pretty sparse on info but the quality of these bags is great.

You can't go wrong with a Mojo either, I just like to push GB because of the great experience I had getting my bag and how it's held up

I have a Voodoo Zulu and i can carry 2 babies,a lunch,4 drinks and a book for reading.

Not sure if you need that much room though.

If I didn't have a "Glass Back" (my nickname before I retired). I'd be back sporting the Karma too. However, there is just too much of a noticable diff. in my back pain with my Grip (A&L). But I would say the Voodoo Karma is one of if not the! best disc golf bag out there. From the huge tub style frame, higher gauge of Cordura, and the use of sub pockets in the main pockets. No other bag came close to the quality and design of Voodoo. A great example, is that I can fit ALL the stuff from both pockets of my old Revo bag. Into just one pocket in the Karma, because of the "sub pockets" inside of the main ones.
I was never a fan of GB, but my Kong bag was one of the very first made. So I always use to say..."great quality, but it looks like some thing I could sew myself" It just seemed unfinished, but that was several years ago too.

I really miss being able to access my whole bag while I'm walking to the next hole. With my old bag, I could put discs back in my bag with both shoulder straps on. Putters slipped into/out of the putter slot so easily while walking. My Grip bag is a different story though. Almost impossible to get my putter in/out without taking the bag off. Really annoying for tap ins.

If I'm playing a hilly course, it's hard to set my Grip down and keep it upright. Really annoying, especially if the ground is wet.
It's shocking to me that anyone uses a backpack more than once. HATED it for the same reasons. Never again.

just attach the bag you have to a cart, less strain on your back easy access to everything. I have so much more left in the tank at the end of a long tournament day now that i'm not carrying my bag on my back.

Latest posts