• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Improving Release Accuracy

mubhcaeb78

Par Member
200+' long 8' wide tunnel shot.
You stand and deliver knowing x step may get you off a bit and cause you trouble..
You do a few practice movements, elbow leading the line, your hand going out pointing at the narrow path..

You mentally see the shot, then you throw.... and you end up releasing too early or too late... disc hits a tree deflects away from fairway.. this par 3 just turned into a 4+..

To get down to the basics.. what is a good way to time your release so you aren't more than 5-10 degrees off of straight?

Practice practice practice.

I've gained more and more confidence in this type of shot as I spend a lot of time hitting tight lines in the woods. I've been able to hone my throw to figure out what my tendencies are. Once you know your tendencies, you can adjust foot placement and body position to account for it.

Same I think its practice, I just started so I tend to spray discs a lot but its getting better. Also I think it could be form and snap....I think, and it could totally be wrong, but if your form and snap are good the disc should consistently rip out in generally the same place

But when the disc goes in the direction I wanted it to its usually when it was a really good throw from wise...I can tell when Im off now....

Last edited:
Bend your knees

stay on your toes

You won't miss

be athletic

Most people do one or other but not both. Depending on how far the distance is you turn your toe away from the target(with the heel or side of foot facing the target) to open/close the hips to help increase/decrease power generation. This part takes practice

I have to agree with all the respondents. Muscle memory and knowing how your disc will behave with the needed pull. I visualize the throw, mentally check my mechanics and look to make a smooth, strong pull. Nothing but chains, man.

I'm in the same boat. Many times I'll release later (left) of my intended line, despite what I feel is a reach back on my path. It's upsetting, but I'm still relatively "new" to BH throws when thinking big picture. I'm sure it will come with time and practice. That time just needs to be now. :)

It seems to me that I have the most accuracy when I throw 75-80%. That is where most of my muscle memory is at (through practice). Dialing back power and suddenly I am concerned if I have enough snap to compensate for a slower arm movement. Do I have enough to keep that disc flying straight without it fading out too early? Too much power and suddenly I allow even the tiniest errors in my technique to be amplified.

So, in that situation I am looking at what disc will match that flight at that distance at that power. In this particular case, I am most likely throwing a putter on a placement line or a neutral mid like a Tangent on a run.

In the past, and sometimes I still do it, I will stand and deliver a Pro Leopard. At 200 to 250 feet I do not need to move my feet and hardly my shoulders. It is almost all snap with minimal arm movement. I can keep it low and at that reduced power the Pro Leopard flies laser straight and lands flat. However, if I have any issue with my wrist (sometimes my wrist does not fire when trying to generate a ton of snap, resulting in griplock), that disc is going high and deep right. That is why more often than not I will reach for my Tangent or Ion and power them up to a more comfortable body motion. This does often require at least one step, but not often a full X-Step run-up. It does, however, require some hip and shoulder movement.

At the end of the day, though, it completely comes down to you trusting your disc. That all comes back to practice and knowing what it will do at what power and at what angle. Despite me saying that at that range I will likely reach for a Tangent or Ion, I also have a Champion Leopard that I trust so completely that I do not fear powering down and putting it on lines I would normally only trust mids on. However to all this, I do not think I could keep these Champ Leopards straight on anything less than 275 feet. On dead-straight shots, I only trust them from 275 up to 350.

Latest posts