• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

Back when I was chasing a girl, i recall Ski Sunrise closed down in 2003 due to financial issues? And a disc golf course was placed on the adjacent mountain out in Wrightwood, CA. Wonder what course that was... Recall meeting Stork, they guy who used to do DG magazines and a guy who created the dg travelling book of courses before there was dgcr.

Perhaps lion can shed some light on my hazy memory!

Rick Rothstein as the guy who "did DG magazines?"

Stork (Scott Stokely) was a great person to meet also, he was probably the best player in the world for a number of years, other than Ken. Played forehand and backhand both, long before it was usual to do so....and he could bomb it either style.

Last edited:
Rick Rothstein as the guy who "did DG magazines?"

Stork (Scott Stokely) was a great person to meet also, he was probably the best player in the world for a number of years, other than Ken. Played forehand and backhand both, long before it was usual to do so....and he could bomb it either style.

Rick. Yea, kansas city rick. Thanks

Met stokely. Him n stork are two diff ppl

Stork's older. Dan Roddick.

Just rem this because what were the odds that 3 "famous" old time players in 1 spot..

Timberlee in Traverse City Michigan. Better than any of the other ski hill courses in existence today in Michigan. On an abandoned ski hill located in the middle of a sparsely populated subdivision.

And the old Kensington course, of course.

I don't really like the front 18 on the Black Locust except for holes 1 and 3. The rest is very meh. Holes 19-27 are the best nine holes in the state, though.

Back when I was chasing a girl, i recall Ski Sunrise closed down in 2003 due to financial issues? And a disc golf course was placed on the adjacent mountain out in Wrightwood, CA. Wonder what course that was... Recall meeting Stork, they guy who used to do DG magazines and a guy who created the dg travelling book of courses before there was dgcr.

Perhaps lion can shed some light on my hazy memory!

When Ski Sunrise closed, the baskets (18 of them anyway) were moved over to Mountain High. The course was the suck. One wide open tweener hole after another. I played it once on the way to Flagstaff worlds in '03 and never bothered going back. Mountain High purchased Ski Sunrise a couple of years later, renamed it Mountain High North and moved the course back to its original position. The other Mountain High course isn't really missed.

Just to list the ones I've played that are marked as "RIP":

Lakewood King County (original layout) - Somebody mentioned this already. The county decided to build condos or something on top of the original holes 1, 2, 3, 17, and 18, so they had to do a redesign. While the redesign has its flaws, it also includes two water holes and a pro shop.

Dalaiwood - If you don't know about Dalaiwood, Google it. I don't have enough time to write about it right now.

Bicentennial Park in Mountlake Terrace, WA - It was a joke, but it's still the only pole course I've played so it deserves a mention. They never officially closed it. Several of the poles and tee signs are still there, but a couple of those went when they did some brush clearing in the back of the park. It still looks exactly like it did the first time I played it, but it's done. Nobody goes there anymore. Terrace Creek is a mile away and actually fun.

Fircrest - One of only three courses I've played in the Seattle city limits. Fircrest was great for my friend because he lived nearby and was able to work on his drives and putts. It was a practice course though. Nothing more. There were a couple of baskets randomly placed in a field. No signage, no teepads... I never did actually play the course. I just threw back and forth between two baskets one afternoon to work on drives, and never saw the point in going back. I would now just to say that I've finished every course I've played, but the baskets were pulled a while back.

what happened exactly

Our local DG organization had a very good rapport with the County administration. And with the County's and the Parks help and support the Eternal Flame course was built. Ahh, but an election year and out with the old and in with the new. After this championship caliber course was meticulously installed with multiple tees and basket locations a local landowner who lived adjacent to the park wrote a scathing and largely erroneous editorial about the damage already done and the damage that would be done to the fragile (not true) ecosystem in his words pristine part of the park. The truth is that this rich influential fat cat didn't want to share what he considered his. This part of the park is designated as a multi use area. There are hiking trails and even horse trails in this part of the park. So a bunch of other non playing wealthy folks jumped on the travesty band wagon and sure enough the new County administration found that a key piece of paperwork was not properly completed. And just like that the course was pulled after barely 2 months of being opened.

What was the name of the REALLY long course on a Ball golf course that got pulled?

What was the name of the REALLY long course on a Ball golf course that got pulled?

Mission hills or mission something in the San Diego area.

Mission Trails golf course in La Mesa, just east of San Diego. Epic course. I was a member of the men's golf club there long before Reese Swinea came in and put the course in. Super long. 1500 feet par 5 hole on the back nine.

Riverside Golf club in Riverside, ca was in for a few years 2006-2009 and I played the 27 hole course a few times. Once I played it when everything was long, 27 holes played 17,794 feet. I have never felt more wiped out after just one round then that time. It was during the summer in SoCal. Tough course on windy days. Anyone else play this one.

What about the course that used to be in San Dimas California back in the 90's. at the regional park there near Raging Waters. Heard awesome things about that one. Anyone ever play the course in San Bernardino that was around the disability center?

Now that I live in Athens, GA I have heard a lot about an extinct course named the crucible... Anyone on here ever get to play it?

Now that I live in Athens, GA I have heard a lot about an extinct course named the crucible... Anyone on here ever get to play it?

Yep, it was a temp course set up on private property near Sandy creek Park.
Some of the top name touring pros rated it the best course in the SE (that was before FlyBoy of course).

And unfortunately, no, I didn't get to play it :mad:

Yep. I saw that some pro's listed it as their most favorite played ever and I look everywhere I figured out that it was used only once. Man I wish I could have played on it!!!

Margot Frankel Woods DGC - Des Moines
Theodore Wirth Park DGC - Minneapolis, MN
Waterworks Park - Des Moines
Oakdale Campus Course - Coralville, IA (Could still exist, but not listed at DGCR)
Lake McBride DGC - Solon, IA (Wooden Box targets. Could still exist, but not listed at DGCR)
Emerald Isle DGC - Oceanside, CA
Riverside DGC - Riverside, CA

Latest posts