• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

Along with others in this thread and a related one, I miss Houck's CR and San Saba courses. I also miss playing a great course in Dallas that was vandalized into extinction, Crawford Memorial Park.

Well I appreciate this bump, for giving me the chance to mention the short-lived, but beautiful Coyote Trace.

Why was it short-lived?

And, at first the course title threw me. Coyote Trace in Poplarville MS is still open, and is anything but beautiful. :p

Terminal Moraine

4C's.....9 hole DG course. 2 tee spots per hole so could play 18. Wooded, elevation changes

super fun course with Innova Discatchers. On Community College grounds, but sadly

under-appreciated and trashed, littered into extinction. Someday I will get a light portable

cloth basket and go play it again. Topography of the course was carved by glacier, hence the

name Terminal Moraine.

Hole 18 at Rolling Meadow, Circle R Ranch, Wimberley TX. Tee was off to the back-right in this photo, so it was a dogleg-left-to-right tee shot over this pond on your tee shot. Then approach (or through) the wide gap on the left on your 2nd shot. Then up a little rise to the pin. Beautiful perfect 3-shot hole for 300-350 foot throwers. Photo from March 2001.

rmba45x9EjpYWuh1XfrV37jD5XqolV6lO_IQGQr6U8WYHvvyjcw3uX7Xv6yQ-Mw6Bk5EPnZlr8h9u7CA_nBMysHpjqrZ83PRuYVMw5XteD_hnzYz0D0dMC7TSXFYVxon_WyfsxW2Pb83x8WANNlLeos1-7KPTyH5xtKfD02QaGL6J8zYu9UUDlYhWp8k7Rh2CyWI74cPUHVyRhnjSubufZQEb3-Or8hAlTAJiugVgnB8bRKCFgQ7dz9TXj3e3r0RVhzhm5L_k1WeslvtLgtQVHbEpR3M37Jk5HKZDQlF9k2QTbvmdwDZM0Tjg_E4gDYIDU6DbMQu7xubQjIjx7sdp0uUyZb3jTuqV4CIVnrq3WxFgzePTEF-MGaSgCAcUKzp0ALDzq24n5bTwO-1uALL9UrjSwlHC38tfHwHYZM6SiZlBTMxc4_HR5xW8QUcHmgBY2s6XcwV_9QqKzIL2FEMCxETzuFY3g9wumV0vS57mua-8AsLnB9SS8Nee9NAv786Rc--7ZE4ve3842qs_F56UVWPOxlQd8m8hEGiEf9xngbcxo7egEzIUNXvuYuigOQXttZWxBsBjTaC1s7UKI0g5AA4CqcbqxtZY5vaJpz3=w640-h480-no-temp.jpg

Here's a present-day aerial. Tee was at the bottom of the picture.

BgwrnPrRo3gOdt3JBpUumLLUAqLuv_DrGH2LAnNCGs4iVwK1lCbB_N_sZm257P6bMY5FQmzJdlDe8_q3l-5kjO9nR291IESO8CZJoyjgSfyIbiC8CHOJRwbmJ3SPTW-qjLuKZadG_799pdosRFmRZUsBIbvYTTpaWN5dw_II4cZyY1weV8erNM94r1tcGA-pM2jmpGjU3r-eevql2DYF3x3R5MYiIw65mnH174UVleTc4uBTmJhpF8_Vnln-LwUei50FuFhPR-BoVMRbVywGo7niHmUM3H4XmKXQL2QORAfcRUZsUOmH47kRmdeC-eVjlzb-syPt3ay8faI771qsmh66Fsb5gsaBoeigEROWhRWL2p18CY8fVxrFE8tW_i9WO11I4wTfh6czLZqrHhNwoT0b5qFogOPR56U0fRpFgOXtUfDYVCXrRhOU1ke0hnfMXJuTr6pm4tkhsa32O0GwPPPeLXWXjhGS--78i1NAZVFcyp3hajmAC1UDgnbKsU0ravU_-2trdIQKP4yJmfnJNKyf11qQhekP8lGZiXDN0JDFALtU-VzFqm-VUoVsy1li_lEsBoh5fqdy3MtxM4BWMNBOlw3LW0gGviJ1mYR2=w789-h812-no-temp.jpg

Why was it short-lived?

And, at first the course title threw me. Coyote Trace in Poplarville MS is still open, and is anything but beautiful. :p

Iirc, a bad storm decimated the woods where the course was located. The baskets were bought by InnocentCrook so at least the course will live on thru there...

Along with others in this thread and a related one, I miss Houck's CR and San Saba courses. I also miss playing a great course in Dallas that was vandalized into extinction, Crawford Memorial Park.

We actually had a Houck course in Stonewall La, which is about 10 miles south of Shreveport. It was named Garland dgc and was on boy scout property. It is on the member Rustyp's played list. That's the only way I know of to look it up. I tried to play it when I heard the rumor of it's closing. They said that I had to be a member of the boy scouts.:( I think Rustyp just showed up and played and nobody noticed. I should have probably done the same. oh well, RIP.

Hole 18 at Rolling Meadow, Circle R Ranch, Wimberley TX. Tee was off to the back-right in this photo, so it was a dogleg-left-to-right tee shot over this pond on your tee shot. Then approach (or through) the wide gap on the left on your 2nd shot. Then up a little rise to the pin. Beautiful perfect 3-shot hole for 300-350 foot throwers. Photo from March 2001.

rmba45x9EjpYWuh1XfrV37jD5XqolV6lO_IQGQr6U8WYHvvyjcw3uX7Xv6yQ-Mw6Bk5EPnZlr8h9u7CA_nBMysHpjqrZ83PRuYVMw5XteD_hnzYz0D0dMC7TSXFYVxon_WyfsxW2Pb83x8WANNlLeos1-7KPTyH5xtKfD02QaGL6J8zYu9UUDlYhWp8k7Rh2CyWI74cPUHVyRhnjSubufZQEb3-Or8hAlTAJiugVgnB8bRKCFgQ7dz9TXj3e3r0RVhzhm5L_k1WeslvtLgtQVHbEpR3M37Jk5HKZDQlF9k2QTbvmdwDZM0Tjg_E4gDYIDU6DbMQu7xubQjIjx7sdp0uUyZb3jTuqV4CIVnrq3WxFgzePTEF-MGaSgCAcUKzp0ALDzq24n5bTwO-1uALL9UrjSwlHC38tfHwHYZM6SiZlBTMxc4_HR5xW8QUcHmgBY2s6XcwV_9QqKzIL2FEMCxETzuFY3g9wumV0vS57mua-8AsLnB9SS8Nee9NAv786Rc--7ZE4ve3842qs_F56UVWPOxlQd8m8hEGiEf9xngbcxo7egEzIUNXvuYuigOQXttZWxBsBjTaC1s7UKI0g5AA4CqcbqxtZY5vaJpz3=w640-h480-no-temp.jpg

Here's a present-day aerial. Tee was at the bottom of the picture.

BgwrnPrRo3gOdt3JBpUumLLUAqLuv_DrGH2LAnNCGs4iVwK1lCbB_N_sZm257P6bMY5FQmzJdlDe8_q3l-5kjO9nR291IESO8CZJoyjgSfyIbiC8CHOJRwbmJ3SPTW-qjLuKZadG_799pdosRFmRZUsBIbvYTTpaWN5dw_II4cZyY1weV8erNM94r1tcGA-pM2jmpGjU3r-eevql2DYF3x3R5MYiIw65mnH174UVleTc4uBTmJhpF8_Vnln-LwUei50FuFhPR-BoVMRbVywGo7niHmUM3H4XmKXQL2QORAfcRUZsUOmH47kRmdeC-eVjlzb-syPt3ay8faI771qsmh66Fsb5gsaBoeigEROWhRWL2p18CY8fVxrFE8tW_i9WO11I4wTfh6czLZqrHhNwoT0b5qFogOPR56U0fRpFgOXtUfDYVCXrRhOU1ke0hnfMXJuTr6pm4tkhsa32O0GwPPPeLXWXjhGS--78i1NAZVFcyp3hajmAC1UDgnbKsU0ravU_-2trdIQKP4yJmfnJNKyf11qQhekP8lGZiXDN0JDFALtU-VzFqm-VUoVsy1li_lEsBoh5fqdy3MtxM4BWMNBOlw3LW0gGviJ1mYR2=w789-h812-no-temp.jpg

Got to play these courses the last year they were in the ground at Am World Dubs. 2 of the best courses I have ever had the pleasure of playing. IMO both courses were better than the Selah Ranch courses.

What I heard was that it was a wind storm that blew down a ton of trees that the property owners didn't want to clean up to get the course safe to play again.

Looks like it was flash floods, not high winds...

COURSE IS CLOSED and we are pulling the baskets. We just do not have the time to repair the damage done by the flash floods earlier this year and to remove the remains of the ash trees we logged due to the emerald ash borer. Priorities have changed on our farm and we are moving in other directions. We thank all of you who played here and were so kind in your rating of Coyote Trace. It was a pleasure to have you here.

Looks like it was flash floods, not high winds...

COURSE IS CLOSED and we are pulling the baskets. We just do not have the time to repair the damage done by the flash floods earlier this year and to remove the remains of the ash trees we logged due to the emerald ash borer. Priorities have changed on our farm and we are moving in other directions. We thank all of you who played here and were so kind in your rating of Coyote Trace. It was a pleasure to have you here.

Yeah, I played it a month or two before he decided to pull it and subsequently sell me the baskets. He mentioned the flood and the ash borers while he was guiding us through our rounds but the course was in great shape overall.

I got the feeling he was actually hoping to make a little bit of money off the whole endeavor but other than a handful of folks, wasn't getting a ton of support from the local dg community. I remember him mentioning that he thought more people would have showed up to play. Based on the quality of the land and the design of the course I can't say I would blame him.

Ash borers have done a number on my property too, but luckily I'm not as far into the build (1/2 way done probably) and can work around it/with it. Based on when I purchased the place I knew it would be an issue in the future, just didn't think the future was only 2 or 3 years away. We've really had a TON of ash die off over the last couple years. Needless to say I have a lot of pre-seasoned standing firewood.

I played Coyote in KY and predicted it to become a top 10 in my review, it's sad I'll never be able to return.

It is interesting that a few courses have hosted a World Championship and are extinct, yet they've not sniffed a mention on this thread.

Looks like it was suh-weet! Lit up at night like night skiing? Yes please:thmbup:

There was better "golf" in the area, as elevation and OB made up most of the challenge at Verdugo, but the crowd at the Monday and Friday night weeklies, buying rounds at the beer garden, sharing highlights and sob stories of our round, made that place dear in the hearts of many an LA disc golfer.
o.jpg

And these ladies made a mean burger:

o.jpg

Latest posts