• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

Waterworks Park - Des Moines
Oakdale Campus Course - Coralville, IA (Could still exist, but not listed at DGCR)
Lake McBride DGC - Solon, IA (Wooden Box targets. Could still exist, but not listed at DGCR)

I'm not sure these qualify for "best" extinct courses. Except maybe in a Land Of The Misfit Toys kind of way - har har.

Crucible was played in the Flying Eye event from 2003-2010.

i actually found an old article from the athens paper a while back...had info on the temp course and even the guy's phone number who ran some of the tournaments or was at least involved in the course. i tried to annoyingly get in touch with him. never worked.

I'm not sure these qualify for "best" extinct courses. Except maybe in a Land Of The Misfit Toys kind of way - har har.

Yeah, this thread has turned into more of an "Extinct courses I've played" thread than "Best extinct courses". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yeah, this thread has turned into more of an "Extinct courses I've played" thread than "Best extinct courses". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ooops! Sorry about that, I got sidetracked and listed ALL the extinct courses I played.

Best ones were Emerald Isle and Riverside.

Wildflower Park in Albuquerque, NM. I never got to play it but I know the park that it sits in. It is right next to Balloon Fiesta Park. It was our only championship caliber course in ABQ. Was pulled because of the a-holes in the neighborhood association wanted the park to themselves. Bummer..

Crucible was played in the Flying Eye event from 2003-2010.

And I ran the GSSS Events there from 2008-2010 until a local screwed up and got the rights to use the course without 1000's of dollars in fees and restrictions added - which basically made it impossible for Doug or myself to be able to run Events there ever again under the current county and park rules, thereby making the course Extinct.

By the way as nice as Flyboy is, the CRUCIBLE ranked right up there with it course wise and challenge wise (Water scenery is nicer at FlyBoy) without homes around the course and using only all natural or park boundaries as OB's.
It was a par 68 masterpiece of design by Doug Porter - and it is truly a shame that it no longer exists.

Alot of design styles used there and at FlyBoy are also in play at North Georgia Canopy Tours to maximize the use of the lands features as those 2 courses did.

And Big Run in Columbus was a blast also.
^^^solid course

I miss The Red Hawk. It was far from the best technical challenge, but the beauty, optional golf carts, and a few really good holes made it a special experience.

The original Kensington course. I only got to play it once, but it was a great course.
Agreed. Played in many times.

My #1 would be the original 36 at River Bends......Course was used for 1992 Worlds and was changed just afterwards. Only a few of the West Course holes remain.

#2 Woodstock Rocks in NY

#3 Kensington Original

Haven't gotten a chance to play the current Stony Creek course but I did love the 9-hole course that was there even before this

Last edited:
Don't be fooled by the longevity of Bill and Flip City, all private courses are headed for extinction...

I think for disc golf only facilities, you are likely correct. There's not enough money to be made.

If it's something like Selah Ranch that has a lot of other activities available, as well as cabins and lodges and the like, there's a better chance of staying afloat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that Sugaree was open when Rich was posting in this thread, then ended up closing shortly after. Thank God it's open again!

Love the resurrection, but all threads must die.

Holler in the Hills is the only extinct course that I've played that qualifies. A truly amazing piece of land for DG; with some tee and basket positions that liability concerns would prevent from ever happening at a public course. I played there last October and am sad I won't be returning.

It's not in the same class, but I also really enjoyed the old layout of the Miami of Ohio course in Oxford, OH. Not surprised it got redesigned, probably due to close proximity of walking paths.

Lake Park in Lewisville, TX is essentially extinct. Whatever becomes of it will be a wholly different course.

Anyone remember playing First Baptist Church I think it was in O'Fallon MO? The course was set in some woods behind a nice church. The course didn't stay in the ground very long before it was pulled. Nothing to fancy, just an 18 hole course that I'd say was probably rated around a 3 out of 5 stars.

Hahahahahahahahaha! Good job, Mando!

Be honest, Grodney, if the thread wasn't dead it was in a three and a half year coma before I inadvertantly started a similar thread a few days ago. Didn't mean to step on toes, though. I just thought that it was an interesting topic that I hadn't seen discussed before, as I've only been here about three years. Got to thinking about it, since my playing partner and I had recently stopped by Bryan Park.

My favorite course is extinct, and I do not understand why. It's still there, and can be played. It's just been swallowed by the building of a two course layout.

Sierra Pines DGC was a lot of fun. I was sad to hear that it was closed. Hope it comes back and we get to play it again someday.

1044828_10152362613600353_83248057_n.jpg

Love the resurrection, but all threads must die.

It's not in the same class, but I also really enjoyed the old layout of the Miami of Ohio course in Oxford, OH. Not surprised it got redesigned, probably due to close proximity of walking paths.

New construction projects forced the redesign of Miami University. It was a great campus course. Glad I was able to play it before half of it was removed.