• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

Among others, notables if not the best, that come to mind are the loss of Swope Park in KC, and the endangered Pendleton King in Augusta, GA. Both hosted Worlds in the past.

He told me last week it's closed for good, unless he gets new knees which is unlikely. :(

Certainly understandable. I can't even imagine the time, effort, expense, and physical toll it takes to be the caretaker of such a special place, like Sugaree. I will always appreciate MANDO for his work and dedication, and the joy he has allowed so many to experience on his masterpiece. I'll always consider myself extremely fortunate to be one of the last guests to play before it closed. Thank you Rich, we are all thankful for what you gave of yourself.

One of the disquieting aspects of this thread is that one of our goals for Stoney Hill is to make this list, one day, hopefully one distant day, when our time passes by. But by then, so many fine courses may have gone extinct that we won't have a chance.

It was a maze of intersecting tunnels with fairways of extremely fine sand that found it's way into everything... found it's way into compartments in my bag that were zipped shut the entire time.

Sounds like the same "sand" I encountered in Saudi Arabia and Iraq during Desert Storm. Months after returning I would still get "sand" on the Qtip after taking a shower.

One of the disquieting aspects of this thread is that one of our goals for Stoney Hill is to make this list, one day, hopefully one distant day, when our time passes by. But by then, so many fine courses may have gone extinct that we won't have a chance.

I hope the day never comes when Stoney Hill is on this list. But if it does, you will certainly be on my list of Best Extinct Courses.

Among others, notables if not the best, that come to mind are the loss of Swope Park in KC, and the endangered Pendleton King in Augusta, GA. Both hosted Worlds in the past.

I didn't realize PKP had hosted Worlds. While I enjoyed PKP, it did not strike me as a championship level course.

I didn't realize PKP had hosted Worlds. While I enjoyed PKP, it did not strike me as a championship level course.

Am Worlds, sometimes in the mid-late 90s. The challenge level of Worlds courses wasn't the same then. Plus, PK has been re-designed since (I haven't played the current design).

I hope the day never comes when Stoney Hill is on this list. But if it does, you will certainly be on my list of Best Extinct Courses.

Thanks. Though with private courses, tied to the owners' lives, it's almost inevitable. Hopefully, about 30 years in the future, when I'm senile and won't notice.

Thanks. Though with private courses, tied to the owners' lives, it's almost inevitable. Hopefully, about 30 years in the future, when I'm senile and won't notice.

I get it. Another favorite private course is teetering on the edge. Tar River is a fun private course but the upkeep is getting to be too much for Hawk. For now, friends and neighbors are helping out. Hopefully the help keeps coming because it would be a shame to lose a Franklin County course just when Louisburg has the new River Bend DGC and another town course may be on the way soon.

Am Worlds, sometimes in the mid-late 90s. The challenge level of Worlds courses wasn't the same then. Plus, PK has been re-designed since (I haven't played the current design).

I played it 3 years ago on the Christmas trip when we got rained out at Stoney Hill. I suspect that is the new layout. Old school Am Worlds makes more sense. The way the current field of top level Ams play with todays technology, I doubt it would be very challenging.

Two of the miracles in this category have been Harmon Hills, which continued after the owned died, and Flip City, for its longevity.

Am Worlds was held in Augusta in 1996. Pendleton King was also used for Pro Worlds 2006 in Augusta. Back then, Steady Ed was the only course at the PDGA Headquarters and it was not played AFAIK.

Any reason why PK is going extinct? I thought that course had a lot of local love. <3;)

Any reason why PK is going extinct? I thought that course had a lot of local love. <3;)

As I understand it, the land was donated, held in a trust to be a park in perpetuity. The trust has decided to sell it to a developer to build apartments.

There's lots of local government drama going on---though all I've seen is the Augusta disc golfer's facebook posts and petitions, plus a few local news articles they've linked to.

It's not completely extinct, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to play the limited-access Blue Gill DGC during a tournament a few years ago. It's a gem of a course that more than lives up to its rating. Out-of-towners should definitely play one of the handful of tournaments held there each year.

As I understand it, the land was donated, held in a trust to be a park in perpetuity. The trust has decided to sell it to a developer to build apartments.

There's lots of local government drama going on---though all I've seen is the Augusta disc golfer's facebook posts and petitions, plus a few local news articles they've linked to.

No sooner had I posted that, than a judge ruled in favor of it continuing as a park.

Forget I said anything.

No more Dirty Discing @ Mountain Lake, VA :(
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6420&mode=ci

What a spectacular view of the Blue Ridges from the old clubhouse behind hole 15 @4000' above sea level:
10310961_10208727008356625_1502391779868419417_n.jpg

Never played it myself, but Bucksnort may be the highest-rated course to pass away:

http://bucksnort.healthtrains.net/

Although I read in another thread a hint that they're holding out hope for the future. It's currently listed as "unplayable" on this site.