• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In need of a driver recommendation

SpyderPride

Par Member
Hello everyone, I am relatively new player and this is my first DG-related post anywhere.

I just need some feedback on what you think is a good driver for me, so I'll give a little bit of a background. Right now I own a DX Gazelle 175g, a DX Orc 173g, a DX Aviar 147g, and an S Wizard 175g. I figured I would go with the heavier weights because its generally pretty windy where I play. The Aviar is the exception and is actually a carry-over from when I played several years back, I figured I would use it for approaches when I need it to float at a fairly low speed such as when I need to stay under a branch or something.

I feel that I throw the Gazelle pretty well, it typically stays in that 10-20' range off the ground and goes out to 280-300' when I make a clean and level (or slightly hyzered) release. It usually goes pretty straight or with a little turn early then fades a little at the end.

The Orc goes a little further on average, but not much. It has more of a S-shaped flight when i throw it well... that is, until recently. It seems that lately it wants to do nothing but turn over and crash into the ground. It doesn't seem like it is terribly beat up, but one part of the rim is definitely warped from when I hit a tree pretty hard. I tried to bend it back but it just seemed to make the rest of the disc messed up and left the warped part the same. The thing about the Orc when it was flying well was that I pretty much needed to start it on an anhyzer or risk having it fly way left if I didn't get all of my speed on it. Now even if I start it on a hyzer it will probably turn over.

I am still trying to figure out how to "snap" the disc and generate more spin. I am feeling that it will come sooner or later because I practice quite a bit and have been reading up on all the instructionals online.

So anyway, I am thinking I could use something like a mid-160's Valkyrie or Teebird. I don't have a lot of money to spend on trying out a lot of different discs, and right now it seems that "try-before-you-buy" is not really an option around here.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

A Leopard is a great disc to start with.

I know you didn't ask, but it sound like oat. That Orc shouldn't be flipping. Practice with what you have, one you get it straightend out, it'll open up more options.

Other than that, leopard/xl

A Leopard is a great disc to start with.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have a friend that has a Leopard and I've thrown it a bit. I don't really have a problem with it, but I can throw the Gazelle about the same distance without such a pronounced S-curve.

When begining, most discs, reguardless of speed, will fly about the same distance- thus slower discs are better to start with than faster.

I know you didn't ask, but it sound like oat. That Orc shouldn't be flipping. Practice with what you have, one you get it straightend out, it'll open up more options.

Other than that, leopard/xl

Like I was saying, I think the Orc is damaged but it could very well be OAT. I can usually tell when I flutter it badly then it turns out even worse than usual. I don't have the same problem with the Gazelle so I guess the difference could possibly be my grip on the different rim widths.

At your distance the Leopard shouldn't really have that big curve. (unless it's really beat in) It's another indicator that your form may be off.

It's really helpful if you can post some video.

It sounds like your comfortable with the gazelle, a natural progression would be an eagle. Sounds like you ruined the Orc and if you had to anny hard to get distance before the change then a valkyrie would be a tad to fast at this point.

At your distance the Leopard shouldn't really have that big curve. (unless it's really beat in) It's another indicator that your form may be off.

It's really helpful if you can post some video.
Its a fairly new Leopard. It isn't a really big curve, its just more than the Gazelle. And yeah, I am pretty sure my form is very beginner-esque... I have been considering getting some video as soon as I can.

Your Orc sounds like it is used up. Maybe try a Leppard or TL in premium plastic. It's more expensive but they last alot longer.

You're better off sticking with the Gazelle, it's one of the best disc you can get. Beginner friendly, and works very well after you advance. Don't bother with buying new disc till you can throw the ones you have. Your problems are mostly form related. So no amount of new plastic will make that any better. The Orc is possibly bad, but the Gazelle is all you need anyway. Buy a mid range and just stick with the Gazelle, mid range, and Aviar or Wizard. Whichever you feel more comfortable with. You won't progress till you change your form. Or you can buy all the disc you won't, it's your choice.

You'll see better results practicing with your putters and Mid ranges than pretty much anything else.

Thank you, everyone that has provided me with some feedback or advice. I will get some video and continue working on my form instead of buying something to replace my (possibly) damaged Orc which I was never quite ready to throw anyway.

Any idea on how far I will need to be throwing the Gazelle before a faster driver will yield significantly more distance?

Until you're throwing the Gazelle 380', it won't make much different what you throw.

Like I was saying, I think the Orc is damaged but it could very well be OAT. I can usually tell when I flutter it badly then it turns out even worse than usual. I don't have the same problem with the Gazelle so I guess the difference could possibly be my grip on the different rim widths.

Or the fact that the Orc might be a little bit too high of a speed for you right now. I second the leopard idea. STicking with your gazelle would be a perfectly fine option as well.

Or the fact that the Orc might be a little bit too high of a speed for you right now. I second the leopard idea. STicking with your gazelle would be a perfectly fine option as well.
I figured that. A few weeks ago when I was looking for a driver for the first time, the guy at the store recommended a Valk, an Orc, or a Wraith. Upon seeing the flight charts and what people are saying, it seems that the Wraith would have been a really bad choice and the Orc wasn't too good either. I asked about the Leopard and Cheetah, he told me that he generally recommends those for little kids and women (I am an average height, slightly overweight adult male). My friend, also pretty much a beginner, walked out of there with a Z Avenger which we later found out is nearly impossible for either of us to throw even forehand. Moral of the story, don't trust salespeople before doing some research online.

Last edited:
Gazelle's are awesome drivers, I absolutely love my DX Gazelle. I would grab another DX Gazelle and in the mean time keep throwing the one you already have. Beat that sucker in a bit and you'll have a nice turnover/anny disc and then put the new one in the bag for a stable fairway driver. Gazelle's can pull off almost any shot needed off the tee, they are very workable discs. Not to mention they are great for beginners, so if you can start throwing them well and getting them out near 350', your skills will carry over to faster discs down the road.

If you are looking to try out new plastic, I'd look into some of the different midrange discs out there. There are plently of great mids out there including the Roc from Innova; Buzz, Wasp, and Comet from Discraft; and the Fuse and Core from Latitude 64.

Tracker...elite X....very str8 very forgiving because of it's design....disc will put up with your advancing, as with other discs you may be tempted to go bigger if you start with leopard and gazelles, which are good beginners...gl:thmbup: