• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Indoor Disc Golf?

Seems I recall the Pontiac Silverdome being for sale for $500,000 a couple of years ago. It would have plenty of room.....but imagine the utility bills!

Actually, imagine the utility bills for ANY indoor facility.

A more modest pipe-dream might be an indoor disc golf practice facility. A dozen putting baskets with multiple floor levels to simulate uphill/downhill putting.....some driving nets to work on form, maybe with video cameras and monitors.....one or two short fairways to work on approaches, hyzer & anhyzer....and whatever else someone cleverer than me can conceive of in an affordable space.

I was thinking a lot of skylights (like more modern shopping facilities have) would eliminate the need for lights during the day.

A practice facility would be sweet, something like the PGA store has.

And beer.

And yes, the chicken coop hole is at N GA Canopy Tours.

Fun course, lots of walking and a pretty tough course, but fun.

I'd worry about the air conditioning or heating bills more than the electricity bills. That and the property taxes. You'd HAVE to have a liquor license to have even a prayer of breaking even. :)

Me and my friends were talking about getting suits and going to our local piggly wiggly (chain in wisconsin, idk bout anywhere else but its slowly dieing because of super walmart/pick n save) and asking them to buy it out to change it to a course. That would be so epic.

There's a several hundred-thousand square foot old textile mill where I live that has been sitting empty for several years. I think an indoor facility could draw players if it were close to a population center with lots of players and if it offer all sorts of normal outdoor activites inside.

Darn you....now everytime I pass one of those mills---and S.C. is littered with them---I'll be dreaming of the indoor course that could be!

The indoor course and practice area/driving range, putting range or whatever has come up multiple multiple times. Unless you're the owner of such building, and don't mind ever turning a profit. These types of places just aren't feasable at this time in the sport. It might be later, just not now. Possibly not ever due to the nature of this sport.

Indoor Tiki Course.. It WILL happen, someday. Oh yes :)

Probably be part of a space that includes a stage, bar and restaurant etc. In a few more years there will be enough wealthy disc golfers in the Ann Arbor area who are tired of playing in the cold and snow in the wintertime.

Darn you....now everytime I pass one of those mills---and S.C. is littered with them---I'll be dreaming of the indoor course that could be!

David...I would bet we could get one of those abandoned mills to let us use them for a week to 10 days. Set up a course inside...one weekend to practice and then a one-time tournament.

In some small communities the local Development Authority has control of those old buildings. Might be able to get that one time use.

What we really need in South Carolina is for Millikin Textiles to turnover all their abandoned properties to the Disc Golf Community. In Clemson, there is about 50 acres owned by Milliken on Lake Hartwell. The mill has been torn down and Milliken still maintains the property..they cut the grass and tend to the flowers. Beautiful piece of property.

I bet if you could pull it off you could charge x amount to play, but you would need to make it worth it. But a place like that would be great for kids and youth groups. You may could score enough off them to actually pay the rent. But that is crazy amout for rent.

Terry Miller tried this in Franklin, WI a few years back. i dont believe it went very well. you could try contacting him here. hes the Disc Golf Blog Guy on PDGA. very very helpful and kind. hes a busy guy but im sure hed find some time to answer your questions.

the amount of space you would need to make it fun is just not economical doable. as a 'mini' course i could see it being popular for a short amount of time but the gimmick gets old fast.

I took a tour recently at Duke Energy's Lake Keowee plant. Some their multiple story high rooms with those giant turbins would be an awesome place to play.

David...I would bet we could get one of those abandoned mills to let us use them for a week to 10 days. Set up a course inside...one weekend to practice and then a one-time tournament.

In some small communities the local Development Authority has control of those old buildings. Might be able to get that one time use.

What we really need in South Carolina is for Millikin Textiles to turnover all their abandoned properties to the Disc Golf Community. In Clemson, there is about 50 acres owned by Milliken on Lake Hartwell. The mill has been torn down and Milliken still maintains the property..they cut the grass and tend to the flowers. Beautiful piece of property.

i am so down to help :thmbup: .. i have thought about this so many times.. like bill said with the camo nets, fake grass, even throw some small tress in there would be a blast just so expensive

Hmm, so would you put little above ground pools for water hazards?

If you were really stacked you could do it like old school malls with all the lame ass water features.

Speaking of which, an old school mall would make an incredible indoor course. Anyone have a shut-down one near them?