• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Champ AERO ?

MrFixIt

* Ace Member *
I bought one awhile back, used it for a couple rounds, then took it outta the bag. Seemed a little unpredictable, but maybe I didn't throw it enough.

Anyone else have any info, or throw them?

I had one for a while and found the same thing. I've only seem them in 180g and that's what I had. I bought as a driving putter. With that much weight and that big of a disc I just figured that it was my inability to find the right combination of speed and spin. There were throws where it'd go straight as can be then the next throw turn over into the woods. I used it for about a year then traded it off.

Funny thing, I now have DX Aeros in 150 and 165g and find them much easier to handle.

I had an Aero for about a week, didn't like it.

I have thrown an Aero in the past, but it never found a niche that wasn't served better by something else. They are a great all-purpose disc. Went out one day with a QMS, a Magic putter and an Aero. Threw one of my best rounds ever. But again, if I have a full bag, I usually use something else.

I think by "unpredictable" you mean that they don't mask flaws in your shot. I know from experience. I don't use mine either. =)

i have a dx aero its my secondary putter. i love it. flies straight and i can control it fine...i guess the champ plastic might have some affects.

my gf has a star aero and continually out puts me and my dx aviar. Either she's good with the her disc or i'm aweful with mine..... probably both.

It's bascially an ancient (as far as disc golf technology is concerned) distance driver. Depending on how many putters you have it might be worth bringing along for practice sessions. It's a good disc to know how to throw because it will show flaws in you grip/form.

I like them, but I've got better discs for anything I would use it for. I didn't find it unpredictable at all. You were probably overpowering it. It has almost no fade, so you have to understand how that affects anything that you turn over. It needs a lot of time to fade back from anny lines. At a slower speed it is straight with more glide than any disc I've ever seen.

I had one that I unfortunately lost while throwing practice shots by a flooding creek.

I loved that disc although I mainly used it as a driver because that is where I found it to be the most consistent. I would start it with a ton of hyzer and it would flip to flat and go perfectly straight to about 325-375ft. I have never had a disc that has absolutely zero low speed fade.

It was really fun taunting friends about them being out driven with a "putter" even though it was originally made as a distance disc seven thousand years ago. It really is a good disc for taunting because it is just so slow that you have probably double the time of a normal driver to rub it in.

It is very much a finesse disc, I've played a few rounds with only it and have had as good of rounds as with a full bag. Come to think of it, I need to put mine in my car for emergency disc golf situations.

I think by "unpredictable" you mean that they don't mask flaws in your shot. I know from experience. I don't use mine either. =)

I like them, but I've got better discs for anything I would use it for. I didn't find it unpredictable at all. You were probably overpowering it. It has almost no fade, so you have to understand how that affects anything that you turn over. It needs a lot of time to fade back from anny lines. At a slower speed it is straight with more glide than any disc I've ever seen.

I have it in both Champ and DX and love it.

The Champ plastic took forever to break in but is now one I will never remove from my bag. As Zen said the disc will betray any flaws you have. But the contrast is that it will teach you to throw correctly. It can be easily overpowered and is a great turnover disc for 100 to 200 foot throws.

It is also a dead on putter. Especially on windy days. The only drawback I had here is that it has a stiff rim and chain outs due occur because of that. That is why I also carry a FLX Challenger.

It was originally a distance driver when it came out in 89 or 90. It even had the world record distance for about 2 years at over 500 feet.

It is a large diameter disc but for glide and dead straight it cannot be beat in putters.

When I was first starting, I thought a DX Aero would the perfect "straight" disc, and it filled that roll nicely. Now its my long putter, and I use a Star Aero for many 100-200 ft upshots. Never have thrown it in Champ plastic though.

Latest posts