• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Innova Distance Driver for 300' of power.

If you can get a TB to 300 i would think the next logical step .. espec if you like the flight of the teebird.. would be the Orc like Stardoggy suggested.. or the PD both are very similar.. plenty of great options out there .. Viking is also very underrated ..have you thrown any faster drivers in the past?

Last edited:
I'll say Orc as well, but Valk wouldn't be bad either. I wouldn't take the Wraith jump just yet. This is coming from someone that tried a Wraith first before an Orc after throwing Teebirds for quite some time. Why not get dx or two at first unless you play heavily wooded courses. See how you like them. DX is going to give you a little more distance than the premium plastic. Pro wouldn't be bad either if you wanted to spend a little more on durability.

If you want to try branching out from Innova, give the DD Escape a shot. I did at a similar power level and I found my go to driver. As others have said, going from a Teebird up to a Tern (or a Wraith) is a pretty big jump. I bag a few Terns for Max D but when I want more control (and less nose angle sensitivity), there needs to be something in between. It all depends on the flight you are looking for. Understable flip to turnover shot? Try a Valk, Sidewinder or Roadrunner. Straight to fade try an Orc or a Pro Starfire (SL mold). A Pro Starfire might be a great choice actually. If Val Jenkins and Barry Schultz can use one, why not you? It will start off stable and beat in relatively quickly to a really nice s-turn driver that you can experience the life cycle of a disc with in just one season. For me, the Escape flies like a Pro Starfire but with more durability.

Last edited:
I use old champion orcs for this, occasionally paired with a pd or valk for different wind and courses. I am about the same power level, 300-325 easy with a teebird, and my longest orc will sneak past 400, but usually gets me 360 consistently. I have a pile of terns, destroyers, mambas, and others, but the orc is just what works for me. Pro wraiths are nice too, but I would have to try 10 or so to find 2 I liked.

The biggest thing that the orc or valk does for me that the faster ones won't do is handle higher lines consistently. I can throw about the same hyzer, straight, or anhyzer shot 3/5 or 4/5 times at any height. I can throw my terns on a straight low line drive all day and achieve a very pretty 350' foot shot, but go from throwing at 6-10 feet to throwing at 25 or more to make the disc work some lines, and I am just as likely to throw a cut roller as a perfect shot.

Oh also, I can't seem to throw faster than about speed 10 discs from anywhere but a tee box or an open field. I lose confidence when I can't work up a perfect drive. With the orc, I can throw it on absolutely any line, standing still, off the box, I even know what they will do on overhand lines where I normally throw a firebird or eagle.

get a brinster teebird.

you'll have less distance with it [compared to regular teebirds], initially, but you'll actually be replicating the hyzer and s-lines that you do with those speed 10-12 drivers like the wraith/tern/destroyer.

it'll teach you how to deal with the "beef" of faster drivers and you'll be breaking in a brinster teebird in the process to which you'll probably still bag forever anyway.

once you can handle throwing brinster tee birds on long hyzer lines/distance S-Lines for more than 300ft then going to PDs/Wraiths/Terns/ even destoyers is actually easy.

but honestly? Just go with a star wraith (maybe in the 160g range) if you've got 300ft power with a teebird. Especially if you can get 300ft on a pure hyzer line. It'll take a day to get used to the timing/weight/rim but you'll be throwing that wraith faaaaaaaaaar.

don't be afraid of jumping directly to the wraith... its only a disc.

Looking for a Distance Driver in the Innova family that will add some footage if I can drive a TeeBird 300'.

Thanks for the help.

Second longest disc in my bag is my TeeBird. The TeeBird actually set the distance record for a few hours before the Valkyrie held it for 10 years.

I can throw my TeeBird 300 ft on a good day downhill and I can throw my Blizzard Katana 335 (measured) to 350 (not measured). The TeeBird gets there with a more direct flight and can handle some wind. The Katana needs more room to move and no headwinds allowed. Most folks here will steer you away from a Speed 13 driver. So, with that being said, try a TeeBird in a different plastic or lighter weight.

I didn't use my TeeBird for distance until after many years of playing. TeeBirds were always control drivers or wind beaters in Champion plastic. I depended on them to have a good bit of fade at the end of the flight. Then one day I tried a Starlite TeeBird and the angels sang. I was able to get nearly the same distance as my longest Distance Drivers on a much straighter line.

Again, if you are getting good distance with the TeeBird, try it in a different weight or plastic and see if the angels will sing for you, too. ;)

If you're looking for max distance (while still having good control), the Tern is going to be hard to beat. Star Terns are flippy, and champ Terns are nice and straight. G* are right in the middle, and very controllable.

I agree with the Valk/Orc assessments. Valk if you like to hyzer flip, Orc if you prefer flat releases (in general).

When you get 350-400' with a Teebird, the Valk/Orc will still be useful on similar lines in the 380-420' range. And at that point, you can start using a Destroyer type disc for max D.

If Val Jenkins and Barry Schultz can use one, why not you?

Um. Because they are both multiple time world champions?

But I agree in principle. Val's new ITB shows that she's throwing Starfires and Terns for distance work.

get a brinster teebird.

you'll have less distance with it [compared to regular teebirds], initially, but you'll actually be replicating the hyzer and s-lines that you do with those speed 10-12 drivers like the wraith/tern/destroyer.

it'll teach you how to deal with the "beef" of faster drivers and you'll be breaking in a brinster teebird in the process to which you'll probably still bag forever anyway.

once you can handle throwing brinster tee birds on long hyzer lines/distance S-Lines for more than 300ft then going to PDs/Wraiths/Terns/ even destoyers is actually easy.

but honestly? Just go with a star wraith (maybe in the 160g range) if you've got 300ft power with a teebird. Especially if you can get 300ft on a pure hyzer line. It'll take a day to get used to the timing/weight/rim but you'll be throwing that wraith faaaaaaaaaar.

don't be afraid of jumping directly to the wraith... its only a disc.

Don't tell people to use OAT. It will only destroyer their form trying to "handle the beef"....

Star or G* Tern or Valk.

Champ versions of these are both a fair bit beefier than these two plastics.

When I was throwing with that amount of power, a nice Valkyrie combo worked great for me. Pair a lighter (165ish to 170) Star to start working in and a max weight champion for wind/extra stability.

I would say Viking for control D and Tern for max D. Wraith if you don't get the turn up to speed well enough. Krait may be a good choice for Max D as well.

Latest posts