• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Driver Question

888HUSKERS

Hello,

I'm relatively new to the sport and have a variaty of Innova discs in my bag already. I can throw RHBH between 250 to 300 on a good day and 200 to 250 on a bad day. I can throw side arm just as far as by backhand and use it once in awhile for left to right shots since I don't trust my backhand anhyzer shot enough yet. I have 3 Bosses ranging from 153g to 172, a 160 groove, a 175 destroyer, a 172 wahoo, a 150u beast, a 175 tee-bird, and a 150 leapord for my drivers.

My question is as a beginner everything I can see says I should be throwing an understable driver yet everytime I throw the discs I have the best control with and distance are stable to overstable discs. Should I be throwing different discs that are more understable? Even in my putters and mid ranges I throw overstable discs and seem to fair better with them than understable discs.

at your power level you should be sticking to slower discs. drop all your drivers except for the tee bird and leopard until you are reaching 300 plus with the tee bird. overstable plastic will hide bad form and hurt your game in the long run.

at your power level you should be sticking to slower discs. drop all your drivers except for the tee bird and leopard until you are reaching 300 plus with the tee bird. overstable plastic will hide bad form and hurt your game in the long run.
right on the money

images

But I'll bite ONLY becouse I started out trying a lot of different discs and plastics myself.

If your max D is 300' currently, put away these: "3 Bosses ranging from 153g to 172, a 160 groove, a 175 destroyer, a 172 wahoo," (some will tell you to throw away the groove on here as it's a fairly hated disc)

Those are all WAY too fast for your skill level right now. The 150 Beast is still too fast but you may get by with it being a 150 class disc. It probably still flies pretty overstable for you (RHBH starting straight then dieing fairly quickly to the left. Try a stingray, I hooked my buddy up with a lighter DX stingray and it was the best thing I did for him just starting out.

What midranges do you have?

There are a lot of good "form" posts on here and good advice to be found in the stickies, go throgh and read them all. I'm going back and dropping a lot of my overstable discs now and getting more stable/neutral to understable discs in my bag to help clean up my form and it's done wonders for my disctance and control. I have a few "one trick pony" discs just for those extreme shot or getting out of trouble but those are getting used less and less as I start hitting better lines and learn to play within my game/skill.

You have a nice group of discs, start out just using the tbird , Leopard and you're putters . The danger of using the boss or Destroyer out of the gate is bad form. You end up having to compensate with OAT to get the discs to go any distance.

This then translates into you not being able to throw putters, mids or any straight to neutral disc off the pad without turning them over. This is a huge disadvantage as you have taken all you're really reliable discs and exchange them with the most unreliable discs.

Just take some time and throw the leopard, Tbird, most mids and almost any putter from the tee and work on your accuracy, form and distance. This will help your game a bunch. Also do not be afraid to do this in a field over and over.

Then bring out the big guns

Cheers - Koffee

Yea sounds more like you have an issue with your form if overstable plastic works the best for you. Any chance you could post up a video of yourself. And I'm going to agree with mostly everybody and I say drop all of the driver except the teebird and the leopard until you get consistent D. Pick up a few straight to understable mids and put those in the bag in place of the distance drivers.

The best advice I've received during my "buying discs" phase, is to start throwing Gazelles and Eagle-X's (both in DX) as my main drivers, and take the time to let them season properly. Nothing has helped my game more than this. Both will help you work on your form when you know the expectations of what these do: the Gazelle will go reliably straight, and the Eagle-X will go way further than you would initially think it would. Try it out.

Grab yourself a Valkyrie in what ever plastic you prefer around the 171g area. This you will not regret.

I agree with this 100%. Once your form improves and you're flipping it over, then start using it as an anhyzer disc. Or you can hyzer flip that sucker and bomb it. I have never thrown bosses very well or a groove and have never thrown a wahoo. If you want to keep one of your heavier bosses or destroyer for hyzer shots, windy days, or shots that absolutely have to end left, I disagree that you should take them out. But if you talking pure distance and a straight line, then I agree to not use the faster discs. The other begineer friendly disc that I think is underrated is the star TL. A little easier to control than the teebird at first and is more versatile out of the box.

My question is as a beginner everything I can see says I should be throwing an understable driver yet everytime I throw the discs I have the best control with and distance are stable to overstable discs. Should I be throwing different discs that are more understable? Even in my putters and mid ranges I throw overstable discs and seem to fair better with them than understable discs.

The overstable discs are far more predictable. As a beginner, you probably don't have a very consistent shot and so the understable discs can vary from being either really good or really bad depending on how you throw it. The overstable discs will be consistently mediocre as they're going to have a more similar flight from throw to throw. The reason understable discs are recommended for beginners is that they are easier to throw far, but until you get the form down, you'll see more consistency with the overstable stuff.

The best advice I can give you is to work with the understable stuff as much as you can when it doesn't matter. It will teach you better form and eventually will bring more success. When it matters though (competing against friends, leagues, tournies, etc) go with what you feel will give you the most consistent results.

Guys I appreciate all the positive feedback. I have noticed once in awhile that I backhand throw my tee-bird better than my bosses, groove, and destroyer. I should have a video by Sunday evening of both my backhand throw and a sidearm throw. I would like to learn how to throw both correctly because it just feels like you have more control for a left to right shot with a sidearm then trying to do a backhand anhyzer throw but that could be poor technique in my case.

My brother in law and I are going to the Ice Bowl in Lincoln, NE this Sunday. Hopefully we can find someone there who is willing to give us some pointers. Thanks for the positive feedback!

You guys are all saying get rid of the bosses, but I'd assume the super light ones are either DX or R-Pro, which aren't stable at all. Keep any that are Pro, R-Pro, or DX and ditch any Star or Champ.

I'd also ditch the Teebird, Destroyer, and Groove, grab a 160's Star Vulcan, and Work that with the Leopard and Beast. Learn the Anhyzer with a Stringray or a Lat 64 Fuse it is more predictable than a sidearm, at least for me.

Look at my setup.
valk/teebird/leopard/banshee
should work great for you for all your needs.

I always felt like I'd be a better player today if someone had stolen every disc out of my bag except for a putter and a Z Buzzz for my first year.

Buzzz is the disc I tell everyone to use in your situation.

But even if I could travel back in time to tell myself to do that, I'd still not listen to myself. It's too fun to throw fast frisbees.

Speed kills. That's what you need to focus on more than stability. If you can't produce enough arm speed for a certain disc (Boss) it's going to act more stable than it truly is. So find out were you land in regards to your "speed" ability. Then you will be able to really gauge what discs are best for you.

I would listen to everyone on here and drop the high speed stuff. I know its a hard thing to do. It feels great to try and bomb a Destroyer but it does just hurt the new players growth. Teebirds can really bomb when you get a good pull. A Teebird had the world distance record for about 2 minutes until a Valkarie beat it by about 10 feet so there is plenty of potential and growth with that Teebird/Leo combo. Stick with it

A leo will not let you down one you get your power out to about 300, but closer than that, it can be kinda squirelly. Midranges and putters will do you wonders until then. Also, I found that by working on speciallty shots, you can tune in your control and also tune some different muscles, which helps you control that disc and help you with accuracy, which is more important than distance.

Say there is a 600ft hole. You can throw your mid 300, and your driver 350. Your putting is perfect inside 50ft for the sake of this example. why throw a driver here? it will rarely get you any improvement over the mid, and just lose you accuracy.

Slow discs are money. I love my leo, and just got a teebird and a predator to round out my fairway, and I am pumped. My buzzz is my go to disc for any line. I play with fewer discs, so respect the durability of Z/Champ, though that may start to change soon, as the collection starts to grow. :p I got a Katana and a Monarch as a noob, and I rather dislike them now, though the Katana's huge rim is great for rollers, and it stays in for that, as well as slicing FH anny spikes.