• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova KATANA

Funny that you found the champ version unimpressive since its the same thing that Dave himself said, but the champ ones look really cool. At least the ones I have seen.

I still havent thrown my pro Katana but the more I read, the more I want to, I just wont if the creek is running heavy. Thats the only time I have lost discs is with water. Even with the disc diver; if you cant see it and the water is flowing you are SOL.

Is that a Katana on the logo of the disc?

Anyways, if anyone wants to upload some side profile pics of the disc, I'd love to see them. Thanks.

Funny that you found the champ version unimpressive since its the same thing that Dave himself said, but the champ ones look really cool. At least the ones I have seen.

I still havent thrown my pro Katana but the more I read, the more I want to, I just wont if the creek is running heavy. Thats the only time I have lost discs is with water. Even with the disc diver; if you cant see it and the water is flowing you are SOL.

I got a Pro and Champ (Blem) and it seems like the Pro has alot less imperfections. The Champ just seems rushed and sloppy.

I have a champ that's not a blem as well, and it does have an air bubble in the flight plane. I agree they may have just done a sloppy job on the champs.

So i've played 4 holes, and have had about a dozen field throws with a 161 R-Pro Katana, my usual driver weight is 164-167, so I figure its comparable to my other drivers (Apache, Destroyer, Sidewinder, Genesis). With those drivers, I've been hitting 270ft... I know, I am one of those guys who should be throwing slower drivers, I am working on a Sabre and a Teebird but havent been able to get those past 230ft... but im working on it... thats not what this thread is about.

The holes I have played with the Katana have been wide open, after my experience with the R-Pro boss, I learned not to throw it when trees are in sight. The first couple of throws were hyzer flips about 10-15ft high... they flipped up quickly, turned and finished right at about 230ft. Then I tried backing off by slowing down my steps and pulling back on the power, and tried to throw at about 70% flat. Still turned quite abit, but it did come back for a slow fade that got it out to about 260ft.

Like I said though, I've only thrown it in open fields. As a max distance driver... meh, it doesnt do anything extraordinary, and I get better distance throwing a sidewinder without worrying about turning it over. I don't know its value is a long range turnover driver, so far it seems that it may do well, but the R-Pro plastic makes me fear trees.

UPDATE:

throwing with a crap ton of hyzer, probably 60 degrees down for a really long flip... I overshot my distance record on one of the flatter holes on my home course by at least 40ft. Good distance for sure... but more often than not this disc is turning into the ground.

Really hopeful about the distance possibilities if I can get the disc to come back... probably not going to happen with R-Pro though, so I may have to wait for more pro or the star version to come out.

I'm dying to know what Innova and Discraft are going to do after they reach the 2.6cm rim depth limit. Yes, Quest did it already with their Double-D but I imagine the PDGA's darling MFG's will get that limit lifted eventually.

Any Discraft Nuke News besides the tech standards PDF?

Finally threw the Champ, felt like it was a tad bit more overstable then the Pro, pretty much like the other guy said that it is a longer Valk and the pro is a longer Roadrunner.

Innova is laughing all they way to the bank with there 13 speed discs. At first when the Boss came out i picked up three of them and loved them...i got so much more distance out of every drive it wasn't even funny, 2's on holes that i never thought possible but there are so few holes anywhere i need that distance on. Then the groove came out. I didn't really care for the groove as much as the boss, don't get me wrong, i still have one in my bag and it does have a specific shot i use it for and it works well for that but keeping a disc for one shot isn't a reason for owning a disc. Now the katana is coming out and even though i'll probably pick one up just to check it out i'm not happy about it. Damn Innova and there marketing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Innova is laughing all they way to the bank with there 13 speed discs. At first when the Boss came out i picked up three of them and loved them...i got so much more distance out of every drive it wasn't even funny, 2's on holes that i never thought possible but there are so few holes anywhere i need that distance on. Then the groove came out. I didn't really care for the groove as much as the boss, don't get me wrong, i still have one in my bag and it does have a specific shot i use it for and it works well for that but keeping a disc for one shot isn't a reason for owning a disc. Now the katana is coming out and even though i'll probably pick one up just to check it out i'm not happy about it. Damn Innova and there marketing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL I know how you feel. I thineed down to nothing faster than a Teebird asside from a utility disc in the Flick, but I got that damned Katana in my bag because I havent thrown it yet and just cant resist.

How much are people paying for their pro katanas? I have a local course pro who is selling them for $22. Does that sound fair or crazy considering it is limited edition (although it is pro plastic)?

I'm amazed people are willing to pay so much for discs just a month or so before they come out at a regular price.

Back on the first page it's stated the Innova flight chart might read 13/5/-3/3 for the Katana. I'm assuming they're adding +1 to the speed rating for every millimeter of rim depth. Of course if that means the Katana is a speed 14 (Boss/Groove=13 @ 2.4cm and Xcaliber/Destroyer=12 @ 2.3cm) and the final depth of 2.6cm is speed 15...will that make people start to take them less seriously? I don't know.

Last edited:
Was about ready to finally let mine rip and my buddy talked me out of it to wait until next to go to a bigger course next Saturday so I can see its flight path and know what it is going to do.

I cant wait because I was clipping 300' through some narrow fairways and want to really try to bomb one out and see what I can do, without hurting myslef hopefully.

I took some more time to play with my R-pro, and Champion Katanas. The R-Pro one that I have is fast, and gets some huge distance for me on wide open courses. The Champ one that I have isn't quite as far a thrower for me, but it still managed to layup for a gimmie bird on hole 8 @ Pump 4 in the long position.

pro katana

Got two copper 175 pro's---very hot color. Threw two rounds with one and have to say that they do fly well out of the box. I normally throw 167-169 drivers but the heavier weight of the katana kept it from being to flippy. Broken in I'm sure this disc will turn over and stay there if thrown with any anheiser. It's fun watching it fly into the distance thrown flat, that little s curve is so sexy. When they are released for general production I will try 167-196 champ and see how they fly.

I played with a guy who had a 175g Champion Katana and it was sweet. I really want to get one. He threw it about 430' straight in line with the basket on a 415' hole. it has a great flight path.

Latest posts