• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Kite

c_a_miller

Birdie Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I was thinking about investing in a Kite. Is it a good beginner disc? I have only been playing for a few months and wanted something with a lot of glide. Also, should I spend the extra amount and go for Star Plastic or stick with the DX plastic?

The Kite is an interesting disc. It's extremely understable and loves to roll. Get it in Star plastic so it's a touch more stable and a lot more durable and I think you'd be happy with it if you learn how to put a little hyzer on it.

I love my kite for the glide and anhyzer shots. The disc can be touchy at times but feels good in the hand

picture.php

I played a few rounds with one in the past but it was touchier than I liked so it came out of the bag quickly. I imagine it would be great in a stiff tailwind.

if you want to try one I have 1 or possibly 2 stars that I could send you for not a lot of money

both are probably 8/10 or so

Get a Skeeter. IMO they are a little better than the Kite. Not quite as unpredictable. Star Skeeter are decent. Champ Panther is also a good disc in that speed and class.

I tried a couple kites and they were so understable that I had to really really watch how hard I threw them or they would turn into a roller. I just ended up not using them, as a putter was more reliable and easier to throw father.

Cheers - Koffee

Oh yeah, Stingray would be a good alternative tot he Kite also. Skip the Kite. It is not the best of the under stable mids.

I used a kite when I first started out, it was flippy even when I had no real arm speed or power. Now I can't even throw it without it turning over and rolling. It's great for thos brand new players but I switched to the shark and stingray quickly from the kite. Star plastic is nice though!

Had an echo star kite. Caught soo much glide and turnover it sailed into oblivion... or another discers bag.
I have an xout champystar stingray that's very much stable unless you huck it on a mad anhyzer to start. Interestingly enough its stability allows for quick forehand shots that flip straighten and still fade ine the end.
Ps its one of the most inked discs I've come across

skeeter or mako or shark for that matter.

My 180g Glow Champ Mako's amazing. Have a 150class DX Shark that can do almost anything

Skeeter is not a disc I have much experience with

I bought a first run dx when they came out second worst purchase of my life right behind the t-bone and right in front of the groove all junk the molds should be melted down and shot into space

I love mine. I have 3. Great for rollers and reliable as an understable disc. 2 in DX and 1 in Star. The Star is less understable so I have gone back to my DX.

I love my star Kite. I use it as my putter, and approach shots under 100 feet. I only try to throw straight shots with it. If thrown too hard it can be understable. I think a lot of the people complaining about it are throwing it at higher speed than it's designed for.

A lot of lower-speed discs have too deep of a lip for me, and they tend to hold on to my fingers and take the wrong trajectory. The kite doesn't have this problem as much for me.

Get a Skeeter. IMO they are a little better than the Kite. Not quite as unpredictable. Star Skeeter are decent. Champ Panther is also a good disc in that speed and class.

^^ This. Kites are fun but that massive dome makes it harder for some people to get a good release. If you get one, do get star plastic...it'll still have amazing glide. I'd really recommend a Core, star Skeeter, or Buzz SS as a better beginner mid, in that order...and maybe a Fuse. Really, Panther is an excellent suggestion, too...almost a forgotten disc to most these days. lol. These are all neutral discs and easy to learn with and control. They give great distance and floaty glide, and are more predictable in wind. Still understable enough to be good teachers, but less sensitive than something really understable like the Kite or Stingray.

Latest posts