• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Kite

Yeah, but Ben turned everything over, and lost much plastic in the shule.

The Kite is not a very good golf disc. If you want something easy to throw with tons of glide, just get a lid, you'll have a lot more fun. Otherwise, any of the discs Sloppy recommended for actual disc golf usefulness and understability.

I used to throw Skeeters a lot. The best kind IMO are gummy, max weight Star Skeeters. The firm ones are a bit too driver-ish for my taste and the lower the weight, the touchier they get, for better or worse.

Quick, everybody get in your shelter! Me and brotherdave agree on something. The world must be coming to a quick end. Soon.

A Kite can do some very cool finesse stuff (easy hyzer-flips, turnovers, extreme anhyzers, rollers, approach forehands, etc. etc.). It is definitely one of those discs that will force you to learn good form in a hurry if you want to have any control with it, but would also fly very easily for a low-power thrower (newer player). It has glide, but don't expect stability; get it in Star if you want the little stability it has to last more than a few 'wooded' rounds. That being said, if you DON'T have good form and/or throw everything at full power - the Kite, Comet, Fuse, etc. are going to be pretty frustrating. There are also really glidey mids that are more versatile (I'm thinking mainly of the Warship here). :thmbup:

I was thinking about investing in a Kite. Is it a good beginner disc? I have only been playing for a few months and wanted something with a lot of glide. Also, should I spend the extra amount and go for Star Plastic or stick with the DX plastic?

Last edited:
Recently bought a DX Kite. It is exactly what I've been looking for. Instant flippyness, right out of the box.

I took it to the field and it performed much like it's faster cousin, the Archangel. It has awesome glide, will turn very easily, and is so easy to throw.

The Kite is what I wanted to Wolf to be when I bought it. But, the Wolf has ZERO glide. The Kite sailed so smooth with a little hyzer.

I'm looking forward to see what this disc can do once it beats in.

i found a star kite with no ink on it. i threw it for a little while there are just better discs for understable mids. i could throw the kit far but i just found the meteor to be Superior at everything except lower power throws. but then thats what the comet is for.

I love my star kite. I'm an amateur/intermediate player and it's a super reliable disc. If I throw it on a hyzer, it flips flat and flies completely straight for a midrange/fairway shot. If I throw it flat or with a slight anhyzer, it'll go right the whole way. You just can't throw it 100% power or it'll buckle.

I found a star kite with no ink a while back, and to my amazement, it was actually a pretty solid disc. For some reason it felt really good in my small girly hands. It had good glide and was pretty long for a mid. I lost it though, and didn't replace it. I'll probably end up with another one some day though.

i have had a dx and a star (both 175) and they didnt fly as understable as i thought they should
(beginner arm) the star just went pretty straight for me
i also had a 148 dx and i would use it for really soft floater shots

none of them are in the bag now

i would just get a pro-d buzzz or a leopard instead

I'd go with the stingray and/or X comet. The Kite is so uppredictable. I got a light one for my wife and even she turns it over randomly.

The X Comet is a sweet disc, but it is not flippy out of the box, so it doesn't compare to the Kite in understability.

Well, I guess since this thread re-emerged I should say what I think of the kite after having one for a little bit. The kite was great for me over the summer in my first few months of playing until the end of August middle of September when it would flip on me no matter what. The kite is now out of my bag but I would definitely suggest it so brand new players.

One of my very first discs was a 1st run Star Kite. It was ok, but ended up on a shelf before long...just not my kind of disc. (for some long forgotten reason)

Great disc for extreme downhill - just dip the angle and exaggerate the wrist snap more than the arm and watch it float on down. Fun shot shape to throw.

I got my first ace with a kite. And another of my first 5 aces. I threw them at ~5400' mainly, but bagged them from when I threw 220' through throwing 450', and found them to be wonderfully glidey, extremely predictable in how much they would turn (a lot), sneaky long, and very comfortable, especially as with how domey kites are. I usually don't like domey discs, but the kite is a good one.