• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] INNOVA Naming mistakes/mold change without a name change

yeah i'll have to make a master list and keep listing it until we are finished and then i'll have a mod update the first post so keep coming with this great info and i'll try to get all the info updated on each mold/disc until we have enough for a wiki or something like that.

yeah i think that was an honest mistake not a mold change without a name change...so valkings aren't on the list?

i wonder why editing your posts is not allowed..... sometimes this site is frustrating!

Along the same lines as the Valkings...
The Orion LS is a Sidewinder with an added nose spacer.
But the Champ Sidewinders I have bought and seen in stores have the nose spacer also. So they are OLSs misstamped as Sidewinders. But it is so prevalent that I'm wondering if Dave has decided to make this the standard configuration for the Sidewinder.

The one or two Star Sidewinders I looked at also had the spacer.
None of the 10 DX Sidewinders had the spacer.

FWIW I like the OLS better than the Sidewinder so I think it is a good move. But you should still tell your customers that you are changing something.

Let me get this straight from the comments so far, flatter destroyers are less stable than domier ones and domier firebirds are more stable than flatter ones? Is that really the case and if it is how would you make sense of it?

Let me get this straight from the comments so far, flatter destroyers are less stable than domier ones and domier firebirds are more stable than flatter ones? Is that really the case and if it is how would you make sense of it?

Plastic cooling and internal stresses and their effect on disc geometry.
No, it doesn't make things easy.

The best way to find out how stable a disc is, is to look at PLH. Gotta give props to Marmoset for figuring that one out.

from my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) but domey discs tend to be less stable but have more glide. So a flat 11x Firebird is more stable than a domey 12x Firebird.

What is PLH?

PLH is "Parting Line Height." Look at the side of the disc and you'll see there's a line that runs along the outer rim of the disc; usually it's a slightly different color or raised just a little bit. It's basically the "seam" that develops due to the molding of plastic. I don't remember the details, but Marmoset did a great job explaining and developing an understanding of its effects.

ahh.. OK.. Yes, I remember that now and did read that right up on it.

If I'm not mistaken, the original TeeBird mold was the modern day TL.

This is incorrect. I started a thread, which I'm having trouble finding, asking the question of which came first, and Three Putt said not the TL. The L mold of the T-Bird wasn't produced until after Innova started making plastics other than DX. The T-Bird (X mold) was already in production at this point.

the teebird and tl is easy to tell the difference you can noticeably see and feel the bead on the end

You may want to define what "different mold" really means. If it's just a change in the engraving but the shape is the same is that really a mold change or is it just a way to identify different runs? Different blends of plastic might cool differently and fly different, but is that really a mold change?

different plastics don't constitute different molds. Otherwise every run of gateway putters would be a new mold.

However in the case of Firebirds there is a noticable difference in dome shape between runs and plastic. However dome shape is largely an uncontrollable factor in most processes. Granted certain things can be done to encourage doming or discourage it in the cooling process. When it comes to Innova though I don't think they do anything for or against it.

You may want to define what "different mold" really means. If it's just a change in the engraving but the shape is the same is that really a mold change or is it just a way to identify different runs? Different blends of plastic might cool differently and fly different, but is that really a mold change?

i wouldnt count is as a mold change, I was thinking adding/deleting a bead would count

Latest posts