• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Sonic

Amorybulldog

Bogey Member
Anyone throw this yet? If so what do you think.

My take: I consider this a disc golf version of a fastback. The regular old frisbee we all used to play with when you got it free at the local parade. It is made of dx plastic and is pretty flexible. How does it play? I like this disc, it is slowly becoming my go to putter on long shots. I normally putt with Classic Rocs so I am a little different anyway when it comes to putters. This disc can deliver on the putts that are to far out of reach to putt. I have hit a lot of long putts with it with minimal effort. Makes for a very straight approach disc but you have to finesse it to get any distance out of it. It turns over in a hurry, faster than a beat up stingray. You have to be careful not to push it to hard.

Let's hear what others think about it.

Hmm.. I'll have to pick one up at some point to try out although I may not get a chance to use it for a few months. I'm not much of a winter player.

Sonic

I have been trying to work a sonic into my bag. Like the way it seems to just glide long putts, but the other day it kept hitting middle chains and falling off the basket. Kinda of weird, but just might have been that type of day for me. Have hit putts at 65-70 ft. with this putter, I agree you can't push it hard or it turns over at the end.

Hey discgnome, you're probably a strong confident putter. I am too. I putt with Classic Rocs mostly so I had to really back off this disc. Kind of takes some getting used to floating every putt rather than killing it. It has a terrible bounce back off the chains and the pole if you punch it it. I actually saw it bounce off the pole and glide out of the basket a few feet. Strange disc but like you I have hit some crazy long putts with it.

The Sonic is unique in that it does not hyzer out at low speed. Once you get out past the putting circle you have to fire an Aviar or Wizard pretty hard to keep it from taking that low-speed left turn. That leads to a lot of cut-through and bounce-back putts due to the speed that the disc hits the chains. Remember, the pole hole pre-dates the golf disc. The pole hole was designed to catch 40 molds and such, and those old frisbees could be tossed at the target. Once you had the Aviar and people firing it at the basket from 50 ft., you ended up with the problem of the dead-center putts that the basket can't catch due to the speed you need to throw that disc straight from that distance. The Sonic takes a step back and gives us a putter more like the 40 mold i.e. a disc you can take a lot off of and toss toward the basket that will float straight. It gives you a putter you can throw from 50-100 ft. and not have to kill it to keep it going straight toward the basket. It has some drawbacks: it is helpless in the wind and has limited usefulness as an approach disc. Depending on your putting style it may be worth trying out.
The other situation I have found it useful in is the longer putt with a drop-off or O.B. right behind the target. With the Aviar or Wizard, if you go for it in those situations and miss...you are in a whole heap of trouble. I've been carrying a Rhyno for years to throw in those situations. Since it is overstable and has virtually no glide, the Rhyno will kind of die and drop instead of carrying on past the basket. But, you have to throw a Rhyno hard at the expense of accuracy. With the Sonic you can aim and toss and get it to drop, hopefully in the basket. If you miss, you didn't throw it hard enough for it to sail on past the hole.

i know i'm bring back to life one of the oldest threads on DGCR, but has anyone else had the problem mentioned with the Sonic (of it hitting the chains and bouncing out)?

Yeah....it's the main reason I gave up on it. I have a very straight pitchputt/lob style of putting and the sonic was great at running a direct line....Only problem was it bounce out of the chains more often than not.

If you are in love with the straight flight of the sonic, but loathe the udder contempt the disc seems to show for the basket, then I would suggest trying out a Gateway Magic....I began using a supersoft Magic and never looked back :)

Sonic - Great frisbee, great straight flight. BAD putter if you touch anything other than the bottom of the basket :)

i liked using it as my turnover approach disc. i can comfortably throw it and expect turnover on the right turning holes for me. i also liked the lob and die the disc seemed to have when i would aim to get a easy finish putt. i didnt like using it for putting as i would overpower it.. it is also good for riverfront park, most holes being 200-300 feet...

I've been using my sonic for about 6 months now and I don't have any of the bounce back issues other people seem to be having. I pretty much use it as my trusty straight putter for slippery downhill putts that I don't want to leave far past the hole. Beyond that, it turns over much too quickly and I go to aviar.

Crazy thing is, I don't think it bounces out I think it glides out. The Sonic is made to fly by design, it is designed like an old timey frisbee. I have noticed if I putt it hard it sort of hits the chains and then glides back towards me like it still wants to fly. I use it for a guaranteed turnover approach only. Have no other real use for it but it stays in the bag for that. I like it for the putts when you can't afford a blow by and know it is out of range too.

Sonic and other "touch" discs

I've been screwing around with the Sonic lately and really like it for touch shots and anhyzer approaches and I can actually get it to 250+ which is farther than I thought it would go without flipping. I like the Rattler too but the deep rim is tough for my short/fat fingers; what is everyone else throwing for touch shots?

Polecat.

Edit: In reality I don't know if any of my discs classify as touch, maybe my Element.

I love working in a disc golf shop because as soon as someone talks about a disc I can go fondle it and take a few putts. :) Pole cat feels nice, my friend throws a Birdie a lot, in fact he throws the crap out of that thing he even has a couple of Champion ones.

The only disc I use right now for a touch shot would be my beat up aviar p&a. Although, I have been thinking about trying a rattler or polecat.

Polecat or Rattler is a good, safe bet. I used to use a Skeeter for touch shots but I'd probably defer to a Polecat nowadays.