• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Sonic

noob question:

what is a "touch shot"

A throw that takes smooth forward moment, and tons of snap. Relies on glide and stabilizing spin to make a disc go where you want. Usually it's with a slow, stable to understable disc that is thrown with a low amount of velocity.

A short 100' upshot with a forehand around a corner is straightforward, getting a backhand to float up and take a gentle right turn to pan out at the basket would be an example of a touch shot.

I use a Lat64 Fuse for this shot. Lately I have been just throwing a fh hyzer with a driver though because the Fuse seems to fly too far most times. It is still a great disc though and can really kill this type of throw but requires serious control.

I use a Lat64 Fuse for this shot. Lately I have been just throwing a fh hyzer with a driver though because the Fuse seems to fly too far most times. It is still a great disc though and can really kill this type of throw but requires serious control.

yeah a fuse is not a true "touch" shot

I mean a putter (challenger, aviar, magnet) at minimum can be a touch disc.

but a mid does not have the glide and its too fast.

I mean we are talking about birdies and pole cats and 86 softies.

yeah a fuse is not a true "touch" shot

I mean a putter (challenger, aviar, magnet) at minimum can be a touch disc.

but a mid does not have the glide and its too fast.

I mean we are talking about birdies and pole cats and 86 softies.

Yeah I know it's not really a "touch" disc thats prob why it always goes waaaay past the basket. lol. Is the Birdie really in that class? I throw my friends at the practice basket sometimes and that thing drops like a stone. Also what weight would be best for a "touch"?

You can't really get a feel for how a disc flies by taking a few putts with it. Putts are more about how it falls, honestly. You need to try it on some approaches and drives before you can really tell how it works best.

Would my Magic count as a touch disc?

Been liking it as a putter and about every approach I can think of. I've been using it for all my touch shots and putts and when its off, it pretty much tells me that I am what is off because theres no drop, no fade and only turns as much as I want it to.

Thoughts on the Sonic

So I really like the Innova Sonic but I can't keep one because of a design flaw that makes them split along the thumb track as soon as you hit a tree. Are there any sturdier discs that fly similarly? I know there are "better" general putters out there (Aviar, Magnet, Wizard, etc.) so no need to point out their superiority. I'm looking for similar putters to the Sonic. Also has anyone else had the problem with fragile sonics? Thanks!

It has a comfortable feel, but I hated it. My dad uses one occasionally. He replaced his with a magic, and a Hydra but they are not a close comparison.

Have you thought about the Aerobie Arrow? the disc is thought of as a joke, but so is the sonic. They feel similar.

Last edited:
What are you trying to replace, the grip/feel or flight pattern? As far as flight nothing is as flippy as the sonic except for an ultimate disc, lol. Birdies have a thumbtrac or Discraft's Banger GT has a groove for the thumb if that's what you want for feel. As far as flight, well by the charts a Wedge might be almost as flippy but a bit faster. A lightweight Magic might also work.