• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Sonic

Not saying it would be the same, but my XT Polecat developed turn faster than any of the DX I've thrown. It wasn't extreme like the R-Pro did, but it definitely happened much quicker than I expected.

I may have come across some full weight star Sonics at some point via the black market...

They are surprisingly flippy and lack glide. Pretty much worst of both worlds. They are very durable on the plus side, so that crappy flight hasn't changed much since I acquired them lol

Supersonics are great, but a 150g supersonic would be ideal. The 130g is too light to drive with or use in wind. Also, at 130g the disc bounces off the newer stiff chained baskets. Nothing more aggravating than a 100' throw in bouncing off center chain barely making it wiggle.

st-sonic_tc19-ggurthie_pink.jpg

They're all 173g+.

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-sonic-garrett-gurthie-tour-series.html

Very interested and will have to pick some up. I wonder if star would split at the rings as easily.

Anyone know if it's just the mold Or if its the combo of the mold and dx.

Very interested and will have to pick some up. I wonder if star would split at the rings as easily.

Anyone know if it's just the mold Or if its the combo of the mold and dx.

The stars should not break but they will fly like hot garbage. If they are anything like the black market star Sonics I currently have in my possession that is.

The stars should not break but they will fly like hot garbage. If they are anything like the black market star Sonics I currently have in my possession that is.

Well that's good and bad news. Saw your earlier reply, hoping these don't fly like that but kinda expecting a different flight. Ordered a couple so we'll see.

Well that's good and bad news. Saw your earlier reply, hoping these don't fly like that but kinda expecting a different flight. Ordered a couple so we'll see.

The Star called something else and the Candy or Champion Sonic or Hero SuperSonic 215 (the discs are made by Innova's dog disc line), some disc are lightweight discs at weights 140 grams for the Star called something else as well as a 140 gram disc in the G Star=Gummy and the Candy=Champion 135 grams that will fly very different from the heavy disc golf disc Sonic as they are made for dog competition for a particular sized dog. Also the larger Hero Disc 235 is also leagal for disc golf as is the Hero 285 if that is still made but not the Hero 185 as it is 18.5 cm diameter as they use mm for the Hero discs.

Well if anybody here manages to try one out, please post a review! I'm going to hold off for now.

My classic 150g dx Sonics have been doing just fine anyways.

Took out the star sonics out today along side some other Dx ones in low to no wind. Very very happy with the flight and feel.

Molded up the same as Dx, felt identical in the hand. Rings felt the same. Height in the center was slightly taller.
Star feels like star, nothing much to say about the feel of the plastic other than having the expected premium feel/grip. I like it. Feels tough? Don't notice a difference too much with the rings.

Flight was also similar, if not the same. Nothing bad to say about it, very pleased. The Dx were 175+, stars were 175 as well. Stars might've been a hair more stable but if it's there it's negligible. Same glidey disc, great on low power, holds straight till the ground

Low power holds straight, with anny holds it the same as Dx.
Higher power with hyzer, flipped up and rode straight or drifted right till the ground. Forehands flip up and glide.

I couldn't tell a difference in flight. So if the rings don't split as easily because of the star this is best case scenario. If I get some time I'll post a video. Here are some pics along last year's dx.

http://imgur.com/a/Z8YLgxC

Took out the star sonics out today along side some other Dx ones in low to no wind. Very very happy with the flight and feel.

Molded up the same as Dx, felt identical in the hand. Rings felt the same. Height in the center was slightly taller.
Star feels like star, nothing much to say about the feel of the plastic other than having the expected premium feel/grip. I like it. Feels tough? Don't notice a difference too much with the rings.

Flight was also similar, if not the same. Nothing bad to say about it, very pleased. The Dx were 175+, stars were 175 as well. Stars might've been a hair more stable but if it's there it's negligible. Same glidey disc, great on low power, holds straight till the ground

Low power holds straight, with anny holds it the same as Dx.
Higher power with hyzer, flipped up and rode straight or drifted right till the ground. Forehands flip up and glide.

I couldn't tell a difference in flight. So if the rings don't split as easily because of the star this is best case scenario. If I get some time I'll post a video. Here are some pics along last year's dx.

http://imgur.com/a/Z8YLgxC

That's a great looking sonic, thanks for the review! I'm sure if these molded up to be glideless bricks GG probably wouldnt even bag them himself. Glad to hear they remain about the same.

Might have to check one of these bad boys out now...

Gurthie is definitely using the TS sonics, so he must like the way they fly. Threw a monster sky anhy and nailed a long putt with one in the front9 of the final round at Nick Hyde.

My GG Star is a brick. . my first two throws hit the ground after 50feet, feelt like throwing a putter upside down.

Need to take it out again and give it another try

Finally cracked the last of my DX Sonics from last year. Broke down and bought two GG Master's Cup Star Sonics to replace them. They seem to have a touch less glide, and are maybe slightly more stable. Feel better in the hand though.

Finally cracked the last of my DX Sonics from last year. Broke down and bought two GG Master's Cup Star Sonics to replace them. They seem to have a touch less glide, and are maybe slightly more stable. Feel better in the hand though.

Star plastic does tend to be that way vs. DX plastic. Hopefully your Star Sonic(s) will season in quickly to perfection for you.

Update: finally got to toss the GG Master's Cup Star Sonics extensively yesterday. Was throwing mine around after league yesterday with a 991-rated pro and an Ultimate player. Its definitely more stable than the DX ones, though that makes it much easier to control for 150'+ throws. I'd probably prefer the DX for running long putts though. Most importantly, it didn't crack when one of them overthrew me and the Sonic smashed into the side of a building. Just left a scuff on the rim, no indication of failure around the rings.

The Ultimate player loved it, BTW. Said it flew a lot like an Ultimate disc. He was even able to flick it smoothly without turning it over. Said it would be the best beginner disc he's ever seen for transitioning Ultimate players.

This is one odd disc. . i bought a Star GG one a few months back and i did not like it at all.

But after i started playing catch as warm up a few weeks back i brought the SONIC and started just throwing it as a catch disc.

Today i gave it another go at the course and this time it worked much better. . . on my first throw i put it inside the circle on a 75m hole and took a birdie. . . for me that max out a driver at 100m to throw the SONIC 70m is just insane

This disc can hit lines no other disc can :)

This is one odd disc. . i bought a Star GG one a few months back and i did not like it at all.

But after i started playing catch as warm up a few weeks back i brought the SONIC and started just throwing it as a catch disc.

Today i gave it another go at the course and this time it worked much better. . . on my first throw i put it inside the circle on a 75m hole and took a birdie. . . for me that max out a driver at 100m to throw the SONIC 70m is just insane

This disc can hit lines no other disc can :)

Sonic can hit those lines no other disc can because the disc is the most Catch/Ultimate like of the true Disc Golf molds outside of some lid molds in very light weights or the large diameter Zephyr.