• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Innova Understable DD

Gmtata01

Eagle Member
I currently bag a XT Nova, Star Mako3, Star Leopard3, and 5X JK Valkyrie for my understable discs. I am looking for a understable Distance Driver(10 speed +). I only throw Star and Gstar destroyer to throw in my stable and Overstable splits currently. Possibly a Tern... would love suggestions on Innova discs and also plastics. Thanks

Terns are great, Shrykes for more speed.
If you don't want to beat in a Destroyer (my recommendation), a Tern could work. The Stars are more understbale than the Champs. I know a lot of people like the Tern, I personally don't like how shallow the rim is. A Discmania TD could work. I don't have much experience with them, a friend of mine likes his a lot though.

Mamba is flippy out of the box. Roadrunner is my go to innova turnover disc, but it's only a speed 9.

Monarch is a decent step up. It's a fantastic disc, that doesn't get a ton of love.

Another vote for the Tern. I'll also suggest a light weight Pro or G Star Wraith. They're usually stable to slight OS when fresh but beat into and stay US for a while.

The Champ Tern is good, but I dig the Shryke a bit more. Based on hand feel alone.

They aren't always plentiful but a 160-165 Star Orc feels and flies beautifully.

I toss a Star Archon when i want some decent flip. Starts out a tad flippy then once you beat on it for a while it turns into probably the most understable disc I know of, and i use it almost every round.

Last edited:
I recently lost my understable star destroyer and it is hard/time consuming to replicate it. So I am wanting a innova understable distance driver to be my destroyers counter part until I beat a new star destroyer in. So shryke and Tern r the two options so far.

Star Sidewinder is a nice turnover disc - or Roadrunner.
If faster I'd say Mamba. If looking for max distance understable Tern. But a Sidewinder/Roadrunner is very useful in the understable driver slot

I love my Discmania C-TDs for understable distance turnovers and rollers. Great discs that feel and fly like a slightly faster Roadrunner. However, they tend to be a bit flippy and get DESTROYED by wind. For air shots that aren't super flippy, the Shryke is my flex line bomber and turnover disc. I used a bunch of S-DDxs when they were in vogue, but while they definitely had the understable high speed stability I wanted for a flex/US disc, the LSS bit down HARD. They'd flip flat or turn right (RHBH) easily and glide like a kite, but then when they slowed down, they bricked out like The Commodores. The Star Shryke gets the same easy flip and turnover lines, but likes to fade back to center and gently hook up instead of such a harsh fade.

i'd say a 1 time champ beast, a great mix of over and under stable, especially when a little beat up.

I think the Tern is the best speed 10+ understable driver out there. The wing is a little odd though and not everyone likes how 'thin' it feels.

Slower than speed 10 you get a ton of really good options: Mongoose, Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Fury, Orion LS, Bandit, Nemesis.

Mamba is flippy out of the box. Roadrunner is my go to innova turnover disc, but it's only a speed 9.

If you wanted to go really understable the Mamba would be my choice too. Yes its flippy, but it glides well and has great distance capability. If you only want moderate understability I'd go with the Tern or Shryke.