• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Insight on Raleigh, NC Courses???

I'll be Raleigh in October and have Rock Ridge listed on my wish list, is that best around the area? If not, what is? I despise lots of tight wooded holes but see John Houck designed RR so it must be good.

I'd agree with that being #1. I like Zebulon as well though I haven't been there in years and they have made some changes.

Buckhorn is the other top course in my mind.

There was some talk a few years ago about a course on Falls Lake. As I recall there was even a bond that we voted on (and passed) that was supposed to partially fund the course. Anyone heard any more about this course?

That would be Forest Ridge Park. Raleigh is building a 500+ acre park on land owned by the Army Corp of Engineers, so needless to say, the red tape is extra long. However, they have started on the first phase of the park, in the northern section, right where Old Hwy 98 ends. So they will be building it in stages.
The park Master Plan had the DG course in the southern section, near Wakefield HS, but I've learned, these Master Plans can turn out to be just suggestions.
A couple of guys from CADL scouted the site a few years ago, not sure if they are still involved or not. I've walked part of the land and there is some pretty nice elevation changes that close to the lake. It will probably be a few more years before they get to work on the other parts of the park.

They've been talking about a potential course in that park for almost 20 years. Good to see it come to fruition.

Well, hopefully it will. There is a lot of wooded land not being used in that park, hopefully they will have plenty of land to work with. :thmbup:

I'll be Raleigh in October and have Rock Ridge listed on my wish list, is that best around the area? If not, what is? I despise lots of tight wooded holes but see John Houck designed RR so it must be good.

Buckhorn is lots of tight wooded holes as well with a few water carries thrown in. That is just how most of the NC courses I have played (95) are set up. That said, Valley Spring in Durham is a good course moderately wooded. If you go to Zebulon Park there are at least a handful of open holes for you to air it out.

I would add that if you are willing to drive to RR (about an hour from downtown Raleigh) and are going to be in the area for a few days, you should check out Rockness Monster in Roxboro, NC (about an hour 15 min from Raleigh). It is a true hidden gem. Mostly wooded, never busy, easy to follow, 22 holes total, good elevation, water fall and 2 other course within 20 minutes- Sasquatch and Kraken. While I am not generally a fan of Kraken, the front 9 are all wide open holes. The back 9 get you into the woods.

Latest posts