• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Insurance for Non-PDGA Event

jenb

* Ace Member *
How do you go about obtaining insurance for a non-PDGA event? What companies will insure disc golf tournaments?

Insurance agencies that handle business insurance, can issue event policies---liability policies for a single event. However, they have minimum premiums that can be a financial hit. I'm in insurance but not this end, but around here I think the minimum premium is $400 or more.

If an organized and incorporated club is running events, it's probably more cost effective to get an annual policy covering everything the club does. Again, an insurance agency that writes business insurance would be a starting point.

Thanks.

IF a club has an annual policy, is it possible for the club to let someone run an event under their policy?

Thanks.

IF a club has an annual policy, is it possible for the club to let someone run an event under their policy?

I'm not an insurance person, but I think it would depend on the policy. I would think that it covers all club activity, as long as you were a member of the club operating with club consent/approval, you'd be covered.

But it is probably a question better asked of the club's insurance provider or whatever club member is responsible for dealing with the policy.

Exactly.

And their answer will be subject to what you mean by "somebody else" and "run". But if the club's not responsible for it, the liability policy probably won't cover it. If the club is designating a club member as T.D., running the finances through the club, etc., it's probably good.

I have never heard of $400 for insurance, that seems really high --- maybe just a regional difference.

What I would suggest is - if it is more than $100, just sanction the event through the PDGA.

$50 C-Tier sanctioning fee
$50 PDGA insurance fee

Just a thought.

I have never heard of $400 for insurance, that seems really high --- maybe just a regional difference.

It could be high, or could be regional (insurance varies greatly state-by-state). I'm in the insurance business, but haven't dealt with event policies myself.

But I wouldn't bet on it. These are commercial liability policies, and all have minimum premiums.

What I would suggest is - if it is more than $100, just sanction the event through the PDGA.

$50 C-Tier sanctioning fee
$50 PDGA insurance fee

Just a thought.

FYI: The extra $50 for the insurance through the PDGA isn't always necessary. ALL sanctioned events are covered by the insurance policy. The $50 is only if you need them to generate a certificate listing the covered entitities. Some parks, counties, and cities require this certificate for the event. Some don't.

Insurance is expensive. DISContinuum Disc Golf Club has yearly insurance and it's around $300 per year. All we have to do is ask for specific event to get a certificate of liability.

It's much easier PDGA sanctioning to get insurance.

I am an insurance agent who specializes in business insurance and do the insurance for a lot of disc golf clubs and events.

The typical minimum premium is around $300 per year (ours is $285).

As to the question at hand, the liability provider for the disc golf club wouldn't provide coverage unless they were notified of the event. Insurance for disc golf clubs typically does not include tournaments unless specifically endorsed or stated to the company/agent. So even if a member of the club or club president is running a tournament, you'd need to make sure the liability policy for the club actually extended to tournaments. A lot of not for profit clubs just have a liability policy but don't have a liability policy that actually covers events.

If anyone has any more specific questions feel free to email me at [email protected]

@20 years ago now, it cost me $250 for a single day, disc golf event, with the insurance agent giving his time at no cost; so I could easily see $400 as a cost today. A rather large softball program I am involved with, pays more than $7,000 a year for insurance! And...(and I'm in the middle of this right now) we are required to get waiver's of liability from @ 1,500 participants! What a nightmare!

Last edited:
@20 years ago now, it cost me $250 for a single day, disc golf event, with the insurance agent giving his time at no cost; so I could easily see $400 as a cost today. A rather large softball program I am involved with, pays more than $7,000 a year for insurance! And...(and I'm in the middle of this right now) we are required to get waiver's of liability from @ 1,500 participants! What a nightmare!

So ... am I reading this right? You have to pay $7k a year, and everyone has to sign something so that insurance doesn't have to pay if they are injured?

So ... basically you pay 7k so that the injured party's insurance company tries to sue another insurance company and loses, as opposed to suing you and losing?

I won't go into the details of "insurance" as the whole thing is hilariously scary....and I won't discuss the required waivers and their validity, because I don't want anyone getting ideas....

Our club researched getting event insurance in our area. Capital Region of New York the cheapest we could get was ~$300 for a 1 day event. We sanction all our tourneys with pdga now because of the cheap insurance.

Morning,
which insurance company can insure a non-PDGA event at this time at a reasonable cost?

Morning,
which insurance company can insure a non-PDGA event at this time at a reasonable cost?

Insurance is, for the most part, done on a state-by-state basis. So you'd need to check in your state. Other than that, the advice from a decade ago still applies.

You could also google "event insurance", which is what you're looking for. I have no idea how the online companies work, or what they cover, so you'd want to be very careful that any policy gives you the protection you're looking for.

Our club researched getting event insurance in our area. Capital Region of New York the cheapest we could get was ~$300 for a 1 day event. We sanction all our tourneys with pdga now because of the cheap insurance.

We are selective of which park and/or park system we use for tournaments. A couple of them provide insurance as part of the rental fees.

Morning,

You might want to check with the park and/or the city where it is being held. Parks probably have insurance to cover anyone getting hurt while using the park and they could probably add your event to their insurance or let you know of what company they use. If the park is owned by the city, same thing there.....

Your event wouldn't be covered by their existing insurance, but it would be a start....either you would know who they use or maybe get your event included in their coverage for the short period of time.

Latest posts