• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Interesting video on Stride Angles

HyzerUniBomber

* Ace Member *
This is forehand related.

Jerome in this video definitely takes a wider stride during the FH, and at about 1:50 you can see his external arm rotation, which to my fairly untrained eyes - looks like a full 90 degrees.

Very informative.

Very cool! This could also be applied for overhand thumbers and tomahawks I would think. Thanks for the video!

Pretty well out of my depth on thumbers & tommies, which I throw somewhat rarely... but the trajectory is so much higher w/ those shots - that I think all that forward momentum would be kinda useless?

My focus w/ thumbers has always been on more or a driving the elbow down and getting the disc to spring forward around the thumb hook.

I max out at about 250' with a 165g Firebird... I've wanted to try a really light and OS disc for some longer thumbers.

I've posted some of those videos before, they got some good nuggets in there. The main issue is that increasing range and stride angle is for the elite that already have great sequence. The vast majority of players struggle with sequence. As for thumbers/tommies they are thrown higher more like what pitchers for long toss, and yeah a long stride makes it harder to throw high.

With the bit of OH talk I have a question on thumbers/tommies. I rarely throw them but I would like to learn them a bit more properly rather than just try to throw them hard like a baseball...I can see that I am maxing out with arm speed rather than technique so something has to change, seeing that good OH players can throw 300' without much issue and I'm not near that at all, but I can throw a ball fairly hard.

I'm guessing firstly the focus should be on a clean snap at the end like a FH throw, rather than trying to get massive arm speed like in a pitch. Secondly...I have found that tomahawks feel natural to me because of the grip, I can throw it like a baseball with the snap of a forehand. However I have recently found that thumber flight is easier as the disc rotates clockwise from a natural 1:00ish arm swing, so it rolls over easily and consistently even with a very OS disc. I can see why people throw them more often. However I hate the grip.

On a thumber grip is the whole thumb segment on the inner rim from knuckle to tip, or is the thumb more pinching with just the tip so it is turned closer to 90 degrees pointing right? I just feel like I can't get as much on the disc with a thumber because I can't extend through my fingers like is possible with a tomahawk grip.

I pretty much throw my OH's like a long toss in baseball, it's loose and relaxed. I also prefer the tommy grip to a thumber grip, but much prefer the throwing position of a thumber. I pinch the thumb between my index and middle finger on thumbers, not a standard hook thumb grip.

I finally got to watch the OP video. I am crazy curious to see what we can figure out as to the translation into disc golf. HUB, do you want to shoot some more video and work on this with me?

In your opinion(s) do you think this can be applied to backhand successfully? So far as sequence, stride, hip rotation, angles, etc?

Last edited:
In your opinion(s) do you think this can be applied to backhand successfully? So far as sequence, stride, hip rotation, angles, etc?

Sure, it just comes down to good slow motion video and taking the time to measure out the angles. SW does it quite often with some dedicated software.

Takes quite a bit of time and energy though, so you guys better pony up! :D:D