• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is 200 inches of snow too much?

The picture is 100% real. It is in Japan, and there are other photos of it. I don't think those trees are growing on top of the snow, they're buried in the snow and we're only seeing the tops.

I would be a very frustrated commuter in that situation.

1. The road becomes impassible due to extreme snowfall.
2. We engineer amazing ways to clear the snow from the road to allow traffic to pass.
3. We block off the ability for people to use the roadway so that people can stand around and and admire our ability to clear snow for people to pass.

wtf?

I would be a very frustrated commuter in that situation.

1. The road becomes impassible due to extreme snowfall.
2. We engineer amazing ways to clear the snow from the road to allow traffic to pass.
3. We block off the ability for people to use the roadway so that people can stand around and and admire our ability to clear snow for people to pass.

wtf?

3...LOL

Looking at those photos again. How is that even safe? It just looks like a good spot for a block of snow to break off and crush some people. Especially if it's melting.

Relevant:

27545102_1586273681448393_8023489593954421735_n.jpg

And what do the Canadians think about their neighbors to the south :p

And what do the Canadians think about their neighbors to the south :p

The UP shares latitude with portions of southern Canada. You can definitely drive several hours mostly south from here and then go to Canada.

Northern Canada may as well be Alaska as far as I'm concerned.

Relevant:

27545102_1586273681448393_8023489593954421735_n.jpg

Actually 300 isn't all that common, maybe every 7 or 8 years. I think we average 200". Had 390" in the winter of 1978/79 which was pretty crazy. I was 14 and became a man that winter with all the shoveling!

Actually 300 isn't all that common, maybe every 7 or 8 years. I think we average 200". Had 390" in the winter of 1978/79 which was pretty crazy. I was 14 and became a man that winter with all the shoveling!

300" every 7 or 8 years is common enough to say that it happens sometimes. We only average about get 50" down here along Lake Michigan. You Keweenaw folk are a special breed.

The UP shares latitude with portions of southern Canada. You can definitely drive several hours mostly south from here and then go to Canada.

Northern Canada may as well be Alaska as far as I'm concerned.

True, my only experience with Canada is Vancouver and Victoria, both of which have very mild weather compared to my experience with Chicago winters.

G-

Getting to play calumet course this early fall was a real treat. Exploring that area made me want to move their so badly.

But now, it is a good reminder that maybe summer visits are more ideal coming up from the south!

Good luck with the curling action. Hope one day I make it up there to ski Mt.Bohemia.

G-

Getting to play calumet course this early fall was a real treat. Exploring that area made me want to move their so badly.

But now, it is a good reminder that maybe summer visits are more ideal coming up from the south!

Good luck with the curling action. Hope one day I make it up there to ski Mt.Bohemia.

Thank you for the kind words about the course.
If you should happen to get up this way in the winter, let me know. I'm president of the Copper Country Curling Club and a curling instructor with USA Curling and I'll give you a free lesson.
If you get up this way in the summer we can shoot a round.

Latest posts