• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is a Competition bag too much?

LeBryson James

Double Eagle Member
I am in need of a bigger bag but I don't know how much larger I should get. I was hoping to get a Deluxe but a got a great deal on a Competition. The only thing is that I have only been playing since May but I have been playing at least 3 times a week since I started. I have became really good and can hang with "the big-boys" in my community. I just want to know if I will be judged for having a large bag but being sort of inexperienced. I think when I see some one with a large bag I see someone that is great at disc golf not just an average joe. Okay what it comes down to: Will I be made fun of for not living up to the potential of what a bag like that brings to the table? Thanks DGCR peeps!

If you plan on getting better, buying and carrying more discs, and playing tournaments that involve storage of water/food/etc, then yes you should get a bigger bag at some point.

But you don't have to. All of these things can be done with a smaller bag. It's up to you, dont worry what the other people think.

Base your decision on what you want, not what others will think. If you need the extra carrying capacity, and don't mind the extra weight during a round, get the bigger bag.

Also, factor in what you think you will need down the road. I bought the Deluxe after palying for a few months only to get a bigger bag 3 months later.

I'm only average, and I carry the Competition bag. I only carry 12-14 discs, but I love having extra room for anything I might want to carry. I have a small, soft-side cooler that fits perfectly in the middle of my bag, between my discs. Don't worry 'bout what others think - carry what you want!

i own 4 bags...al different sizes...who really cares what anyone thinks...you said you could hang with "the big boys" so what's it matter anywho??

I'd say that's better than uni-bombers who carry one disc and flick every time cuz it "looks cool"

I dunno.. every once in a great while those 'uni-bombers' will surprise you. The longest hole on my home course is a fairly open 409ft.. and there's almost always a backup as it takes recreational players a long time to finish. So I was standing behind a group of (drinking) uni-bombers, watching the ~100ft. hyzer spikes, when one of them takes his one disc and flicks it 50ft. past the basket.. that was an eye-opener.

I dunno.. every once in a great while those 'uni-bombers' will surprise you. The longest hole on my home course is a fairly open 409ft.. and there's almost always a backup as it takes recreational players a long time to finish. So I was standing behind a group of (drinking) uni-bombers, watching the ~100ft. hyzer spikes, when one of them takes his one disc and flicks it 50ft. past the basket.. that was an eye-opener.

Ppl that can flick farther than I can throw backhand always gets me down

I am in need of a bigger bag but I don't know how much larger I should get. I was hoping to get a Deluxe but a got a great deal on a Competition. The only thing is that I have only been playing since May but I have been playing at least 3 times a week since I started. I have became really good and can hang with "the big-boys" in my community. I just want to know if I will be judged for having a large bag but being sort of inexperienced. I think when I see some one with a large bag I see someone that is great at disc golf not just an average joe. Okay what it comes down to: Will I be made fun of for not living up to the potential of what a bag like that brings to the table? Thanks DGCR peeps!

i went through the same thing

a big sack doesn't make you pro

i ended up just buying the simian. about as eye-catching as you can get

end result, i don't take any heat and i'm not embarrassed at all. in fact, on those loooooong hot rounds in the summer heat it's a common problem getting back to my seat after i throw before one of my friends takes it :D

my advice; get what YOU want, not what others want for you

Unibombers !

Unibombers ! Love it , never thought of that one !

Up here the unibombers almost exclusively throw tomahawks , 300 footers plus,I've almost been hit while looking for my disc off the fairway . Most often they're Aussie , kiwi , British , lots of funny accents out on course .

Put away the high speed drivers and learn to throw more lines with less discs. :popcorn:

I'm not a noob, but still just an average player, and I got the Innova Deluxe bag. Do I NEED to carry 18-20 discs in a round? Of course not. However, I like having the options. I can carry 4-5 putters with me for practice before a round. If I get a new disc or two that I need some practice with to see how they fly, I can carry them also. All of those on top of the discs I actually play with. And, I have room for a 32 oz drink, random stuff, and my golden retriever. But don't worry, I know the golden rule (and try my best to live by it). "It's not the size of a player's bag that counts, it's how they use it."

Just remember that it doesn't have to be full. I have one and I only care like 14 discs in it some of which are doubles in case i lose one or something. So I use the dividers to split it into 3 sections with the middle being open for towels, water, etc

Please just make sure that, after lugging around that gigantic bag full of discs, you have enough energy left...

- to carry your trash to the trash can
- to clear snow off the tee pad before turning it into packed ice and ruining the tee pad for everyone else
- to show up for a work night once in awhile

Some people with the gigantic bags seem to be too tired to help keep the course in good shape.

People will not make fun of you if they know you contribute something positive.

While you're taking all this good advice about not caring what other people think, I'd go further and advise you not to judge people you see by the bag they carry.

And I'll point out the obvious---a large bag works fine carrying only 10-12 discs. You don't HAVE to fill it and carry the extra weight, but you'll have the capacity when you want it.