• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is brand loyalty stupid?

What do you think about brand loyalty

• I like it and will only use discs from one company

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • I think it's stupid and will use whatever disc I want

Votes: 207 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^^ HAha....I just mean, using only 1 brand always and forever, is dumb....You may miss out on something that works very well for you. BUT If you have been there and done that with all the brands and just want to go 100% one brand for the fun of it, then go for it. I just meant, Only using/buying one brand and bashing all other brands just because its not the one YOU have is dumb. That is all....I have a buddy who is 100% innova and likes to trash talk, and a buddy who is 100% prodigy and has no interest in any disc if its not Prodigy.....so....I think thats kinda dumb.

I started with all Innova because it was hard enough to not buy new discs with only 1 manufacture...let alone the masses to compare to. I have since branched out quite a bit and am picking up a few others here and there - with a trilogy challenge to add to the mix as well. But for now, I have in the bag (mold wise):

Innova: Nova, Roc, Roc3, Teebird, Firebird, Roadrunner
Lat 64: River
Legacy: Bandit
Discraft: Comet

Throw what makes you happy, if that happens to be all Trilogy plastic, well go ahead. None of these people actually care what you throw, so don't base anything off of their opinions. In my very-amateur opinion, you really need to be asking the pros if they absolutely hate being limited to one brand. I betcha they'll say hell no. Keeps their mind on their game and not "Gee, wonder what other discs are out there from the other 30 manufacturers..."

^^ HAha....I just mean, using only 1 brand always and forever, is dumb....You may miss out on something that works very well for you. BUT If you have been there and done that with all the brands and just want to go 100% one brand for the fun of it, then go for it. I just meant, Only using/buying one brand and bashing all other brands just because its not the one YOU have is dumb. That is all....I have a buddy who is 100% innova and likes to trash talk, and a buddy who is 100% prodigy and has no interest in any disc if its not Prodigy.....so....I think thats kinda dumb.

Well, re-stated, that makes a bit more sense.

I think there's a distinction between just throwing one brand, and throwing one brand while claiming it's the best, or trash talking others.

I started out with Innova, Gateway and Lightning plastic then I slowly moved toward Discraft. Something about Elite-Z plastic I like on the release. Always kept one or two Innovas and Lightning discs in there as well. Now as my bag is, It's Discraft Distance drivers and a couple drones. My putters and mids are made up of MVP/Axiom discs. I still carry a #2 Hyzer and my old Dragon for those water shots, during a casual round.
If it works out for you and you like to stick with one brand then go for it. I think it's more important to have more discs of a certain mold than to have several different molds but as far as brands go, just throw whatever fits your drive/putt. And if there's something out there that you'll never try because it's not your brand, If it's a good one I guess that's your loss and someone else's gain. It's always good to keep an open mind and step out of your "brand box" but if you wanna throw one certain brand, do what ever the hell you want. I'm not going to loose any sleep at night over what someone else throws.

When I started I just got what was available. My first disc was a Shark....that eventually was tossed and landed in a street during rush hour....it moved 200+ feet in the wrong direction as it was flown around by passing cars and eventually taco'd. Haha it was hilarious.
Anyway, then I got a Surge, Buzzz, Banger GT....Picked up a Wraith...Teebird....from there it was a blur of discs I found and discs I got second hand....soon I had about 20 randoms mostly Discraft and Innova as what was available at the time. Learning what discs do, and what 'type' of discs exists was a big learning period. Now, I know what I look for in a disc etc etc....so, yeah I don't bash other brands for the obvious reason that....different things work/feel comfortable to different people.

Plus, having never tried a Lat64 disc, I picked a couple up and really liked the feel and flight...same with DGA, MVP, etc. They all have good disc.....If I was forced to use one brand I could...I think anyone COULD....but......i like having a mixed bag....That way I'm on everyone's team....except Gateway....F gateway....KIDDING!! totally kidding.....F Lightning tho ;)

Not really. (Although I am going to add the Flying Squirrel to my bag now and then)

We all have our reasons for choosing one brand over another. And nobody can say that those reasons are "stupid."

True. You still need that Pure friendo

True. You still need that Pure friendo

I currently only bag the Ion as my putt and approach disc. (I rarely drive with it)

IF I was going to add another putter to the bag, here is the order which they would be added, starting with most probable first:

1. Envy
2. Anode
3. Zone
4. Zeppelin
5. Arrow
6. Magic
7. Wizard
8. Now...maybe I'd pull the trigger and buy a Pure. In the meantime, I have plenty of putters already purchased and lined up in case my Ions need company. :D

Not really. (Although I am going to add the Flying Squirrel to my bag now and then)

We all have our reasons for choosing one brand over another. And nobody can say that those reasons are "stupid."

Since I always like playing devil's advocate, you may want to rethink that. If someone only threw Discwing because it had the word "wing" in it, and they thought that would make it fly farther, I would call that a stupid reason. I'd actually call that a stupid person. Point being, there are stupid people, with stupid reasons, for doing stupid things.

I have found that discraft works great for Me. I have used innova and gateway as well in the past but I'm such a big fan of Z plastic. Also I have found that sticking to one brand makes understanding and mastering the the flight chart that much easier.

Since I always like playing devil's advocate, you may want to rethink that. If someone only threw Discwing because it had the word "wing" in it, and they thought that would make it fly farther, I would call that a stupid reason. I'd actually call that a stupid person. Point being, there are stupid people, with stupid reasons, for doing stupid things.

I totally see your point.

But we should educate our ignorant friend that the word "wing" will not affect the disc's flight. If he still likes the name, and only wants to throw Discwing, then let him.

I currently only bag the Ion as my putt and approach disc. (I rarely drive with it)

IF I was going to add another putter to the bag, here is the order which they would be added, starting with most probable first:

1. Envy (relatively untried)
2. Anode (not as long)
3. Zone (too overstable)
4. Zeppelin (too understable)
5. Arrow (Lolz)
6. Magic (too short)
7. Wizard (solid but still not as long)
8. Now...maybe I'd pull the trigger and buy a Pure. In the meantime, I have plenty of putters already purchased and lined up in case my Ions need company. :D

Here ya go :D

It makes more sense to me to have a bag full of only one color if only for identification.
Otherwise, why would you limit yourself willingly?
Being sponsored is a totally separate thing. That's just business, and those folks aren't effected as much as us noodles!

after the way i threw today... i'm thinking about : "reverse sponsorship "
they will pay me NOT to say i throw their brand... lmao

I believe in using what works for you.

Of course, my bag is 100% MVP. What they have out works for me. Doesn't mean I won't use anything else, just that I don't need to.

I started all Innova -- that's the beginner set I found, that's what I got. Got a Wizard because everyone said it was great (it is). Got a Buzzz for the same reason. Fiddled with a bunch of different discs - got some from Birdie Bashes and Ace Races, got some because they were on sale/X-outs/whatever. I still have four Innova discs in my bag, but three of those are negotiable. I will NOT give up my Stingray.

Vibram is the manufacturer I carry the most right now -- a driver, a mid, and three putters (I'm still not sure the Ridge is going to knock the Wizards out, but I'm giving it a chance). 2/3 of the Discraft I carry are Ace Race discs (the third is a DGCR Hornet).

So I guess it's:

Innova: Eagle, Teebird, Roc, Stingray (all DX)
Discraft: Ace Race Mantis, Ace Race Zombee, Z Hornet
Vibram: Trak, Ibex, Ridgex3
Gateway: Wizard
MVP: Inertia

If I was going to carry one manufacturer, I guess it would end up being Vibram. The only Discraft that I absolutely have to have in the bag is the Hornet, and the Inertia has earned a spot as well. Those two and the Stingray would be the only exceptions, though I may keep the Wizards in too.

Brand loyalty is OK, but I've found it limiting. I'd rather throw what I want and what works.

Last edited: