• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is Infinite the new Discmania

Omega4
Max Weight: 175.1gr
Diameter: 21.1cm
Height: 2.0cm
Rim Depth: 1.5cm
Rim Thickness: 1.0cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 19.0cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 7.1%
Rim Configuration: 58.00
Flexibility: 8.86kg

P2
Max Weight: 176.0gr
Diameter: 21.2cm
Height: 2.1cm
Rim Depth: 1.5cm
Rim Thickness: 1.0cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 19.2cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 7.1%
Rim Configuration: 58.25
Flexibility: 7.03kg

Will Colten, Perkins or even Simon and Eagle even get any signature discs this year?

Rememeber that Perkins was very happy about his royalties from his NIGHT STRIKE.

Maybe give them a Infinite tour series disc in 2021 ;)

https://europe.discmania.net/products/royal-rage-2-leo-piironen-signature-series-vapor-instinct

Piironen is starting it off.

I dropped all my Discmania when I couldn't find replacements in 2018. I didn't like the molds that much to scour the web or pay stupid prices from collector groups for more of them.

DRIFT!!!
Millennium is very underrated. The OLF is basically a 9 speed Eagle. The Millennium Standard plastic, their version of pro, is some of the best driver pro plastic from Innova I've felt. Highly suggest picking up an OLF. Most of their other molds are winners too. Heimburg is chucking the Draco around. If I didn't have a stack of Enemies, I'd try it.

SKKKKKKRRRRERR! More drift.
Interesting fact, the Roadrunner was molded for Millennium, but Houck thought it overlapped with the OLS.

I should have said 'I vaguely remember some other discs having the anhyzer top...but I barely remember Tuesday'

It might have been one of the Infinite molds for all I can actually remember.

The anhyzer top used to be on most. Like PD, DD etc. But yeah the Originals are all tweaked/mismatched mold parts from Innova. I am sure someone with tenacious enough web search skills can come up with a pretty comprehensive list. I cant be bothered to look it up right now.

The real question: why isn't there a big disc factory in Finland, the disc golf mecca, most courses per capita, etc? Discmania and Westside would both have benefitted.

The real question: why isn't there a big disc factory in Finland, the disc golf mecca, most courses per capita, etc? Discmania and Westside would both have benefitted.

Because Sweden. It would be like wondering why Discraft doesn't also have a factory in Wisconsin, or a second Innova in Nevada.

Last edited:
Prodiscus makes their discs in Finland. Not sure about their capacity. A lot less I would say than what Discmania would need for example.

In any case, in short, because of globalization, very few products are manufactured in Finland. At least low price products. Cheaper to make them somewhere else. I dont know how the Swedes do it, what is the difference that makes it worthwhile there. But for sure the Active line discs cant be very expensive.

These recent posts remind me of trying to find an S Line FD for quite a long time, couple years. True I never went to boutique shops or wanted to spend the secondary market prices on ebay, I just wanted to try the disc but eventually gave up.

I don't know the specific details of the FD mold, what top, bottom, exclusive to DM or not but I can't help wondering when Infinite or possibly Millennium will produce a disc from that mold if it's nonexclusive or very similar, seems like as popular as the mold was across such a wide skill range that it could become a nice money maker for either Infinite or Millennium.

These recent posts remind me of trying to find an S Line FD for quite a long time, couple years. True I never went to boutique shops or wanted to spend the secondary market prices on ebay, I just wanted to try the disc but eventually gave up.

I don't know the specific details of the FD mold, what top, bottom, exclusive to DM or not but I can't help wondering when Infinite or possibly Millennium will produce a disc from that mold if it's nonexclusive or very similar, seems like as popular as the mold was across such a wide skill range that it could become a nice money maker for either Infinite or Millennium.

Can't imagine that Millennium would look to add another FD type disc to their lineup. There's quite a bit of overlap between the Polaris LS and the JLS, FD would just clutter that further

hadn't seen this discussed yet in this thread, sorry if I missed it!

reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/ni3aci/dismania_announced_they_are_increasing_disc/
dydhapvtjj071.jpg

Lol. I guess the other MFers will tag on. Or maybe this is what happens when you outsource production?

one of the comments on reddit said: "I heard through the grapevine that innova was also raising their prices. Claimed they hadnt done so in 10 years or so"

not sure if that's true or not...

I was talking to a grade school buddy of mine this weekend, who works for a plastic manufacturing company. We were talking about Covid stuff in general: things that have become norms now, things that will probably fade away, the crazy housing market and lumber costs, stuff like that.

He was saying their costs had went up, not necessarily sure what drove that though. I'm guessing whatever chemicals they use as a starting point for their reactions. I honestly didn't ask if those were made stateside or brought in from China or someplace else. I believe he had told me previously that most of their plastics are used in the automotive and medical industries. Not sure how those would differ from plastics used for golf discs.

If plastic costs are increasing there's no way the manufacturers are going to absorb that at a cost of reduced profit...especially when demand is the largest it's ever been. Absolutely zero chance. I skimmed the Reddit thread above...typically I avoid Reddit but kinda wanted to see what the dumpster fire looked like. Couple people mentioned Prodigy and Innova raising prices, but I can't say I've noticed yet. I also can't say that I've really been looking at places online for new discs right now.

I know we've beat this to death at this point, but relying on another company to manufacture your product has its limitations. You can't forget the other side of that coin though, it also has advantages, which are extremely attractive as a startup company. You're not dumping tons of money into injection molding equipment and the molds themselves, which allows you to use that money elsewhere to grow your business.

Keep in mind also that Jussi came from a marketing background prior to Discmania. He didn't come from a plastics or engineering background like the MVP boys. A production partnership probably made the most sense from a financial and knowledge base perspective.

I don't know if JCass would comment on his experiences within RDG, but he's probably dealt with similar situations on a smaller scale.

We'd all say right now they'd benefit from being able to manufacture at their own desired capacity, but in reality that's probably several hundreds of thousands of dollars invested to have "adequate" capacity. Right now I don't know if anybody is producing discs in "adequate" capacity to fill shelves in stores and start filling the warehouse racks again.

There were Originals inventory issues way before the Covid boom. The biggest difference was fewer people throwing DM then, so the restocks lasted a while before selling out. You'd see most models getting ran once a year or so, maybe slightly more frequently for more popular molds. The partnerships with Latitude and Yikun were pitched as international supply chain partners and a means to expand the brand to new markets. I think there's definitely some truth to that, but think about it...if they needed increased production what would the optics look like using another US based company...who is a direct competitor to Innova? If the Lat/Yikun partnership allegedly upset Innova imagine if Discraft had been chosen instead?

I think early on there are definite advantages to having somebody else manufacture your products, but at a certain point growth wise it becomes a hindrance. The tough question is where do you draw that transitional line and how do you approach it. I don't have any clue how many discs Yikun sells a year, but I don't think it's out of the question at all that all things being equal that more DM Active line discs could be sold than actual Yikun branded discs. If I'm Yikun how do I feel about making a fraction off a disc that is competing directly with a disc that I make 100% of the profit from.

We are about to see a pretty good sized price hike across the board, no matter where the discs are made. Plastic has gone up a bit and shipping has increased 3-5x in the last year. Days of any disc below $10 retail are probably over as of July. I would say $11-14 for base/pro type plastics and $19-24 for normal premium runs will be the new normal retail prices.

Price hikes in supply will be less noticeable to the consumer with many discs already going for prices above MSRP.

Aside from the secondary market where are you seeing that?

Stock stuff at the Innova Factory Store is $17.99 for star, $16.99 for champ, $15.99 for gstar, $14.99 for driver pro, $13.99 for kc and xt, and $9.99 for dx. Dick's had always been on the high end, and maybe your random one off shop that carries a small selection, but most online retailers seem to gravitate closer to the minimum advertised pricing.

I'd assume wholesale cost will go up, but don't know if they'd update MSRP though, or keep it constant and then you'd see retailers raising prices up closer to MSRP and away from minimum pricing.

Aside from the secondary market where are you seeing that?

Stock stuff at the Innova Factory Store is $17.99 for star, $16.99 for champ, $15.99 for gstar, $14.99 for driver pro, $13.99 for kc and xt, and $9.99 for dx. Dick's had always been on the high end, and maybe your random one off shop that carries a small selection, but most online retailers seem to gravitate closer to the minimum advertised pricing.

I'd assume wholesale cost will go up, but don't know if they'd update MSRP though, or keep it constant and then you'd see retailers raising prices up closer to MSRP and away from minimum pricing.
I was implying that the inflated prices for tour discs and other new release discs seen as collectible would disguise or offset less noticeable price increases. It doesn't surprise me that stock sale prices would be stable for a while due to retailers being desperate to move what stock they do receive.

Latest posts