• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it ethical for pros to play in their local tournaments?

Open division, open to anyone who wants to pay and play. No ratings ceiling for the Open division, so anybody from McBeth to Weema can enter and play. I cant seem to find an ethics violation here, care to elaborate on your post?

We've had top pros at our local C-tier, and even unsanctioned events. Trust me, nobody objects. We're honored, and the top local players like the challenge of competing against them.

Surprisingly, even though they're earning a living touring the big tournaments, some of these guys also enjoy playing disc golf.

This. Most players would love the opportunity to meet, play against, and potentially even be on the same card as some of the sport's best and brightest stars.

To answer in a simple, forthright manner,
Yes, it is ethical because they compete by the same rules as everyone they play against.

If it bothers you, that's okay, just don't sign up for that tourney.

??? Is this a serious question? Try playing MA40 or MA50 in SC. SC is loaded with baggers in those divisions who refuse to play against players with the same skill level.

??? Is this a serious question? Try playing MA40 or MA50 in SC. SC is loaded with baggers in those divisions who refuse to play against players with the same skill level.

I can't NICE this post hard enough :clap:

excellent point. this is a much bigger problem than sub-900 players competing in MPO.

If you want to be play against players in the same skill level, then play MA1-MA4.
If you want to play against players in the same age bracket, then don't gripe that someone else in that age category is playing in their age group.

Or with duffers who refuse to play against players with the same skill level (MA3? MA4?), then cry "bagger" in an uncapped division.

Is this serious or are you being sarcastic? :confused:

Those are AGE protected divisions, not RATINGS protected divisions. One can not sandbag in a division that has no ratings cap. So your statement is no different than the OP's question.

Is it ethical for really talented players to play against less talented players simply because they are in the same age bracket? :doh:

Luckily Krupicka provided you with the answer, if you want to play with similar rated players then play in ratings protected divisions. If you want to play with folks your own age then be ready to play with a wide variety of rated players.

I used to love it when somebody like Ron Russell showed up to our tournaments! Just looked up one to make sure my memory didn't fail, and yep, found a B-tier in 2000 pretty quickly.

#9999 beat me by 35 from the same tees on two rounds at Kensington's original 18. Always was a thrill to compare myself to the world's best players no matter how wide the gap. Hey...That's less than one stroke per hole!

Last edited:
Try playing MA40 or MA50 in SC. SC is loaded with baggers in those divisions who refuse to play against players with the same skill level.

lol.. here in the DFW area we have a group of 940+ rated ma50 players that refuse to play in the advanced division. Merch - keeping am pros in business. lol..

lol.. here in the DFW area we have a group of 940+ rated ma50 players that refuse to play in the advanced division. Merch - keeping am pros in business. lol..

Maybe the 50-year-olds would rather hang out with other 50-year-olds all day instead of players their kids' age?

Yeah...

There is no 'problem'. Anybody can play anything they are eligible for. My guess is you played a tournament and got rightfully bested by someone better than you.

I also had this same thought...I generally try to be charitable in interpreting the motives of strangers on the internet, but it's really hard to read this OP's post as anything other than being butthurt about getting whomped by a better player in a recent tournament.

****, if a Wysocki, or GG, or hell, even one of the second or third tier touring pros came to shoot a tournament that the locals generally populate, we'd all lose our damn minds with glee.

Last edited:
I also had this same thought...I generally try to be charitable in interpreting the motives of strangers on the internet, but it's really hard to read this OP's post as anything other than being butthurt about getting whomped by a better player in a recent tournament.

****, if a Wysocki, or GG, or hell, even one of the second or third tier touring pros came to shoot a tournament that the locals generally populate, we'd all lose our damn minds with glee.

Agreed, when the big names show up to a small event I get jacked that I actually get to test my skills, or possibly play with them, or maybe learn something from someone who is probably better then me. For me it would make a W that much more meaningful. And when I lose, then I lost to someone who was better then me.

Whaaaaaaaa!!:mad:

Good players should stay at home so I can get my own little unique snowflake of suck trophy.

Hey you, over there! Yes you, the guy that has worked hard and become an elite thrower. You're not wanted here! Go play with your own kind and leave us 250ft Destroyer throwers to our own tournament. :D

One of my favorite tournament moments (I have only played a handful) was warming up on the putting green before a C tier with Andrew Presnell (and a bunch of other people). I tried to watch and study his routine to learn whatever I could. Not only did it kind of pump me up for the tournament, but it kind of made it feel more "legit" to me.

Maybe the 50-year-olds would rather hang out with other 50-year-olds all day instead of players their kids' age?

To each his own... but nope, not buying that argument, never have. Not for the higher rated guys, lower rated (rec) guys in it just for the social experience, sure.