• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Is it more about the number of molds or total number of discs for you?

If there any exclusively gateway minimalist out there reading this I'd really like to read what you carry.

I just started this exercise.

Wizards (3-4)
Chiefs (2)
E Blaze
S Karmas (Only mid-range, trying to break a few in)
E Apaches
[E Proto Driver] Somewhere between an Eagle-X and Firebird
E Samurai (Rollers)

Where I live there are very few big shots, so I haven't needed anything more than the Apache. Will slowly start working in an Illusion or Slayer for longer/lower shots. I max out around ~380', so something faster doesn't buy me all that much.

Last edited:
I had a Gatway bag at one point.

Wizards-2
Element
Demon
Apatche
Speed demon

Kind of miss that bag, only took about $25 to get the discs too.

I typically carry 15-16 in my Discmania Grip. Currently using 10 different molds. I'm constantly trying to find reasonable ways to limit the amount of molds I carry but still have a bag that can have an answer for any course I step on. I do feel that I'm having issues with using too many different discs. I would like to be down to 8 molds. I really feel like I would benefit from being more zoned into fewer molds.

I was carrying around 30 different molds for a while. I have been trying to narrow it down.

I'm down to 12 molds. Occasionally switching some out. My score has gotten a little better. But the big thing I'm noticing is having much more consistency

I use to carry near 20 molds but some discs broke into the spots i used different molds for and i started a cycle so now i carry 10 molds. It hasnt changed anything wth my disc selection or ease of shot selection.. But i dont have to buy as many different types of discs now

I carry slots:

(Over)Stable Fairway, Neutral Fairway, Under-stable Fairway
(Over)Stable Mid, Neutral mid, Under-stable mid
One or two putters.

Disc selection depends on wind, course, number of holes, etc.

I'll carry a "water disc" if necessary, and often another disc I want to try out.

10 is about my max #.

I carry 20 discs with me at a time, but I primarily throw only 4 molds in different stages of wear. If I have only 1 version of a particular mold in my bag, it's there for specialty shots as opposed to regular use. I like to keep my molds low if possible.

If there any exclusively gateway minimalist out there reading this I'd really like to read what you carry.

While I'm not all Gateway, I've been going that way over the last year.

Right now I'm using a few Wizards (goes all over the flex spectrum from RFF to g9i depending on wind, moisture, temperature, etc) for putting and stable driving putts, a Magic for neutral and understable driving putts (hoping to replace this with a Shaman when it gets beat) and elevator shots. With mid ranges I pair the Karma and Element since they are variations of each other so they cover a range of flights (Karma also does great thumb rollers which is a life saver on wooded courses), you could also do this by pairing a Scout and Mystic since they are similar to each other. For driving it gets a bit tricky, I have been cycling out older Innova fairways and most of my drivers (I usually don't throw anything wider than a 1.9 rim) and using the Apache and Assassin for most drives since they can be controlled as well as most speed 6-8 discs on the market but used for most distance since I'm an under 350 ft guy. Other than that the only non Gateway I'm using is a Pig and Banshee for forehands, spikes, and overhand, which when they get beat could be replaced with a Demon and Blaze if needed (maybe get a lighter Spirit for overhand, I've heard it's the closest flight to an Epic you can get from a regular disc) and an Avenger SS for pure distance shots since I'm not hot on the Illusion (they are all over the place) and someone with my distance isn't really suited for the Slayer, though I have some from stocking up from when Altitude closed and bulk deals and they are awesome drivers (I would imagine this is what Innova had hoped the Teedevil could have been).

I'm a mold maximizer. Beating discs in takes too long.

This exactly! Plus i hate dx plastic.

I buy understable discs for understable slots in my bag. Fuse / leopard etc.

If you have enugh time to practice with your different discs, molds dont make such a big difference. I want different molds. The discs should fly differently.

I grabbed a double Nutsac about six months ago and love it especially for casual disc with my dog and a beer, I throw about 12-15 molds consistently but only put 6 discs in the bag depending on how I'm feeling. i.e. Tursas, Tangent, Comet, Axis all fighting for one sometimes two spots. Nothing wrong with dabbling in between molds they all relate, just don't pack them all around.

Last tourney at the home (public) course I started out with my 24 disc tourney bag and packed it around all day... next day I packed 10 discs in the double Nutsac... shot the same both times but I had a heck of a lot more fun packing less weight, fatigue can be harmful to your game. I've got a friend in his 50's who is convinced he needs 20 discs to play, and a chair, maybe a cooler, he's the only guy I know that's hired a caddy for tournaments... he's absolutely convinced he needs a certain disc for a certain hole. I gave him an ESP Comet and he only used it on one downhill hole he drives me nuts. Any time we play foreign or larger courses he gets beat, tired and whiny cuz he's packing 30lbs, I know I did it for years.

Not really concerned on total discs in my bag.. usually 21-24

But I have been working to minimize the molds in my bag. Aside from my putting putter, I have about 8-10 molds depending on the course. A couple are utility discs like the H1, PD2 and they are not always in the bag.

Last edited:
Molds.. i like to have under 10 molds if possible.. once i find something i stick with it and just find various runs or plastics of that mold to cover all my shots.. i dont like wide rims so once i find a rim thats comfy i rock it :)

I like keeping it light for the most part. 9-12 discs per rounds spanning no more than 8-10 molds. I've gotten to where I tailor my bag for tournaments especially courses I know.

I also bring spares out for different set ups. Like if it's a really windy day, I'll switch out some discs. If it's a shorter course, I'll go with a slower, more versatile set up.
I have like 5 main discs that are always in the bag, and others I just switch out usually at the course. If I'm playing a course for the first time, that's when I tend to bring 25-30
I generally slot
PUTTER
OS PUTTER
TURNOVER PUTTER
I drive with putters a lot.
OS mid
Stable Mid
Straight mid
US mid
US Fairway,
STABLE Fairway
OS fairway/Utility
US Driver
OS Driver
Stable Driver/ Bailout/ Trash Disc. - on rough terrain I don't like trashing my best distance drivers, so I bag a Lace, or Pro Katana to take the beatings so my nice plastic doesn't have to.

My bag has just grown organically to where it is now. When I first started I traded discs like crazy on here and discaroo and became familiar with most everything (all these new guys like Dynamic, Legacy, and Prodigy are hurting me though). I can go either way, either super mold minimalist (have thought about a DX cycle of Banshees, Eagles and Rocs for awhile) or mold gonzo.

I lean towards minimal just to keep discs I never throw out of my bag. I do find myself carrying more discs than I perhaps ought to b/c my game continues to diversify. For example I've added rollers to my game so although FH rollers are easily done by my de facto OS utility disc, a Ch. Banshee, I have to put a thrashed DX Eagle I like for BH rollers.

In addition to the sig, I usually carry a "loss potential" disc which is a beefy pink S.EX and a distance driver I've found recently (currently a Pro Wraith).

I tend to carry multiples in PDs and Eagles, debated getting another Sword. The only spot in my bag I'm not in love with is the EL which replaced a really beat S.EX I loved and lost. Been trying out a S-FD and G* Leopard there too.

Moods with as few spares as I think I can get away with based on the course conditions. I have 2 putters Omega super soft big beads 171 and 175g. Driving putter Discmania P2 175g, straight mid Champ Roc3 176g, overstable mid Z Hornet 169g, fairway driver Z Stalker 172g and a Champ Valkyrie for rollers 174g, drivers: Cannon - icon 169g main straight driver, Pinnacle 170 overstable; more overstable - Millenium metal flake Quantum Quasar 173g, Blizzard for downwind: Boss 153g and Katana 151. I carry one Pinnacle 170 Cannon for back up.

Last edited:
Four molds - Seven discs.

PFN Champ Banshee
DX Cheetah (will add a fresh one in or a Gazelle soon)
Seasoned DX Roc
Beat DX Roc
Soft Judge
2X Classic Judge

My bag holds 11 discs. I usually only carry 9 or 10, depending on the course.

I play best when I throw the same discs over and over again.