• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it Worth it to mark up a Disc?

It is worth it. You might get a call, and the disc might come back to you.

If you do not mark up your disc, you will NOT get the call.

Even if you see your baby in another cat's bag later on that afternoon it becomes an unsolvable problem that you could have avoided with a little effort.

I call every number on the discs I find because that's what we want, our discs back in our bags!

I won't waste my time trying to cross reference PDGA numbers with phone books and internet searches, though. Nice that you're proud of your membership and all, but if you really want that disc back from me, you won't rub it in my face.

Of all the discs I lost and abandoned unwillingly only a few have come back to me. I won't stop inking my deets on 'em, though. Sour grapes are a lose lose. You don't get ANYTHING back and other players don't get the chance to be heroes.

Here's a twist.... One of my buddies found a brand new Pro Valk. He doesn't throw Valks but I do.
I asked to throw it and at the end of the day... it ended up it my bag. It's got a number. Do I call?
Do I return it to my buddy who found it and didn't call?----

I've got at least 4 leopards mia in town with my number and have never been called.
This Valk seems like karma. To throw or to call...

It flies nice.

Last edited:
I used to write my name, phone number, and PDGA # on discs... but now, I just consider it a "donation to the course." I watch my discs meticulously and if I can't find it, it's a donation.

I've only lost 2 discs in 2 years now... (both in the last month - in water - after I started dyeing my own) Usually, I'm the one watching and finding other group member's discs... The courses in Michigan, while heavily wooded, are not that difficult to watch flight patterns. Losing discs outside of water hazards is usually only because of players not watching discs until the end of flight and landing. Hence, only two lost in two years. Those were both in water and I didn't want to get soaked.

If you are attentive, I don't see the need to mark up a nice disc.

Cheers.

I hadn't gotten a disc back in a few years so about 2 summers ago I started going with just my mark, which if you find a disc with 2 mountains, the right being taller and snow capped, feel free to hit me up. You can actually see me skiing on said snow capped mountain in my avatar :thmbup:

I think the last straw was when dude called me but then made a huge deal about it being a great hassle to get me the disc back. I even offered to meet him at a destination of his choice or have him drop it off somewhere if he was uncomfortable meeting me. I figure if I can't even get a disc back when somebody calls me, there's no point. I normally wouldn't care and would tell them to keep it but this was an SDS Destro that I had given to my buddy and I knew he wanted it back.

I always ink them and have gotten a few calls. My thought is that balancing rim ink trade devaluation vs the chance of getting a beloved disc back it's definitely worth it for anything that makes the bag...especially since I only throw stock discs.

I probably get 25% of my lost marked discs called back, and it's probably 75% of the time from someone I know from dubs or tourneys. Some discs I'm sure have never been found and maybe never will. Strange fact, I've lost my Roadrunners 5+ times and gotten 100% of them back. If a course has a lost and found like mine, a marked disc gets called and put in the box, so there's a good chance you would get your disc back because there's no "hassle" to return them really.

If I'm traveling I usually carry unmarked discs or discs I don't care about, because there's little chance I'd go pick it up. I've gotten a few calls from lost travel discs and I always tell them it's yours now.

I guess Madison is a good place to lose discs, or I am unreasonably lucky. Of the last dozen or so discs I have lost over the last 2 seasons, I have got all but one back, and even that one I got a call on.

I got a call on Sunday from a guy a hole behind who came across my disc. It was a new disc, premium plastic (an Underworld). Chatted with him briefly and found out that he calls numbers on inked discs the same as I do--and this time I benefitted from somebody doing it. :D

Here's a twist.... One of my buddies found a brand new Pro Valk. He doesn't throw Valks but I do.
I asked to throw it and at the end of the day... it ended up it my bag. It's got a number. Do I call?
Do I return it to my buddy who found it and didn't call?----

I've got at least 4 leopards mia in town with my number and have never been called.
This Valk seems like karma. To throw or to call...

It flies nice.

Yes call. I always call and or text. I was playing out of town and found a beat star Boss. I called and the guy was really excited, the disc was beaten in just how he liked it and thought he'd never see it again. He even offered me money which I refused. He drove right to course and picked it up. I found a nasty faded dx Orc at my local course. I sent the guy a text and he wanted it. I was going playing another round so I told him it would be on my drivers side tire. Got back after the round and there was a note on my windshield wiper. Opened it up and there was a $5 bill inside. Hell the disc wasn't even worth $5, but to him maybe it was... maybe it flew just how he liked it.

I've gotten about half of discs I lost back. I lost my longest disc, a really nice flag dyed Starlite Tern, in some really thick palmettos and thought I'd never see it again. Late one night, weeks later, I got a text- a nice young guy found it. He even dropped it off at work for me. :clap:

There is an unwritten code among most disc golfers that you attempt to return found discs. Seems to me most follow it. :thmbup:

Last edited:
I have lost about 10-12 disc. I have got back about 6-7. I guess I am pretty lucky.

I do not ink my phone. Some discs do have a small M with a / through the M inner rim in pink sharpie.

-I do not care about clean look. Some of my favorite discs I received used with ink.
-I do not lose much
-Most discs I carry have direct backups plus
-disc return chances fairly low
-the return process can get cumbersome sometimes
-my writing is crap and I hate to see it

This is probably not a popular opinion but I do not write my name on any of my discs and I lose about as many as I find. I also don't call on discs that I find. I figure what goes around comes around and I pretty much break even on quantity, but it seems like I lose sweet drivers and only find orcs and beasts. The people that own those discs probably didn't want them back anyhow.

This is probably not a popular opinion but I do not write my name on any of my discs and I lose about as many as I find. I also don't call on discs that I find. I figure what goes around comes around and I pretty much break even on quantity, but it seems like I lose sweet drivers and only find orcs and beasts. The people that own those discs probably didn't want them back anyhow.

nice that you gave them the choice

oh, wait

you're one of THOSE guys...

I don't ink other than initials for tourneys. If I lose and you find happy birthday. I find enough and I have enough so losing one sucks but maybe it's a way of saying they needed it more than me. Happy throwing.

Darren

801.02 Discs Used in Play

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc. Each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw.

Just sayin'.

I've gotten 3 discs back in the past couple of years, since I started signing them. I think I've lost 8 total.

Thanks. Glad you're breaking even. :thmbdown:

To play a sanctioned event I know you have to mark your discs, but...

When I started buying discs I began adding my name and phone. I have yet to recieve a call on a decent discs. I have printed small under the rim, large, GIANT, all over the back plate, all over the front plate. Only a couple of calls on cheap, beat discs.

Thinking of not marking with anything but a small identifying mark. Because it does not matter, if I lose it I never get it back anyway.

Anyone else decided phone number etc is not worth it?

Why not do it? How much effort is it to mark a disc? Even if there's a slight chance it gets returned, how could it not be worth it?

Unless you hope to sell it later, or just aesthetically prefer a clean, unmarked disc.

And if you care about these things, but still want to play tournaments, note that the mark can be pretty inconspicuous. Doesn't have to be your name. Could be just a couple of dots inside the rim, not likely to affect either.

To play a sanctioned event I know you have to mark your discs, but...

When I started buying discs I began adding my name and phone. I have yet to recieve a call on a decent discs. I have printed small under the rim, large, GIANT, all over the back plate, all over the front plate. Only a couple of calls on cheap, beat discs.

Thinking of not marking with anything but a small identifying mark. Because it does not matter, if I lose it I never get it back anyway.

Anyone else decided phone number etc is not worth it?

You will get more back by putting your number on than by not putting your number on. What is worst that can happen?

I don't ink my discs. I like clean plastic and if you try and trade or sell them, no one wants the inked discs. Besides, I only have lost a few discs, average about one a year (although last year I lost two). Just not worth the hassle to me anymore to try and connect with a lost disc.

Latest posts