• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is "Recreational" misleading?

Is "Recreational" misleading?

• Yes, it is misleading

Votes: 61 54.5%
  • No, it is not misleading

Votes: 51 45.5%

• Total voters
Not sure what problem is solved, but new ones are created.

Depending on how you define "Trophy only"---big players pack, or same fees but nothing to the players, or low entry fees?

At any rate, it's still the same problem: Saying that everyone rated below 900 is merely playing for recreation, because they haven't achieved a certain skill level (and implying that once they've cleared that 900 threshold, they are no longer merely playing for recreation).

Potentially problem solved due to the obvious no cash, no merch, just a trophy. Not really seeing how the term "trophy only" could be confused with players pack, low entry fees, etc.

Not sure what problem is solved, but new ones are created.

Depending on how you define "Trophy only"---big players pack, or same fees but nothing to the players, or low entry fees?

At any rate, it's still the same problem: Saying that everyone rated below 900 is merely playing for recreation, because they haven't achieved a certain skill level (and implying that once they've cleared that 900 threshold, they are no longer merely playing for recreation).

I sort of think that rec should be less serious and open to all level of skill... no money to be won, maybe a player pack since you have to pay to play... push a philosophy of fun and good will and just go out and have a great time... don't worry about score too much other than keeping track of it properly on a score card...

rec to me sounds like a soft introduction to the competitive aspect of the game... so it would be good for new players so that they learn the rules and etiquette, but also let them relax knowing that any skill level is welcome... let more skilled players join in with the understanding that playing rec means that we're here to have fun, learn, teach, and foster a good philosophy of play and specifically group play... so, it's like an intro to DG competition without all the negative aspect... if you are 1000 rated but just want to join in for the fun aspect, then by all means sign up in rec...

Anyway, I like the idea of a true rec and then let all the other levels be purely ratings based and pretty competitive.

Potentially problem solved due to the obvious no cash, no merch, just a trophy. Not really seeing how the term "trophy only" could be confused with players pack, low entry fees, etc.

Do you mean, players rated under 900 should play in a division where they pay the same entry fee as higher-rated players, but can't win anything? Or should play against higher-rated players, where they can donate to the prizes and probably not win anything? You'll simply discourage players from playing.

Or perhaps you mean something else, and I'm missing it. Because that's the problem created. What was the problem solved? An inaccurate name?

I sort of think that rec should be less serious and open to all level of skill... no money to be won, maybe a player pack since you have to pay to play... push a philosophy of fun and good will and just go out and have a great time... don't worry about score too much other than keeping track of it properly on a score card...

rec to me sounds like a soft introduction to the competitive aspect of the game... so it would be good for new players so that they learn the rules and etiquette, but also let them relax knowing that any skill level is welcome... let more skilled players join in with the understanding that playing rec means that we're here to have fun, learn, teach, and foster a good philosophy of play and specifically group play... so, it's like an intro to DG competition without all the negative aspect... if you are 1000 rated but just want to join in for the fun aspect, then by all means sign up in rec...

Anyway, I like the idea of a true rec and then let all the other levels be purely ratings based and pretty competitive.

Should players rated 850-900 be allowed to have a competitive division?

^that honestly seems like a good way to do it. I'm not current with the PDGA. I'm sure that my rating would be sub 900. I'm a consistently inconsistent disc golfer. I enjoy playing in our local weekly league where scores are handicapped and it allows all players to compete once they've played the 3 rounds required to determine a handicap.

A few years back when i was thinking about playing some tournaments here I think Rec wasn't even offered. I assume that most people play up and choose intermediate at least here.

Maybe that's changed now. I haven't looked to sign up for anything lately and I'd much prefer to go out and play than compete in a tournament.

I think for new players (especially those who haven't played a rated round) have a hard time knowing what division to sign up for because of the naming. Ex. If I've been playing for a few years and am just looking to play my first tournament but I'm not very good at disc golf but I feel like I'm ore competitive than "recreational" then I would choose to play Intermediate because I'm definitely not advanced.

Once you're a member and have a rating from what I understand that dictates the division you would play in a sanctioned event. Is that correct?

I don't see why not. I don't think rec should be competitive oriented...

I also know that rec is perceived that way by many new players and that they don't always know to research more on it to discover that they are wrong... Probably pushes a few of them away from going to them again.

It is what it is and I don't expect it to change... I'll add that if rec was actually recreational, I'd go to more of these

Since turning 50, I have learned that Advanced GrandMasters is the worst. None of these farts are masters at anything, and there's nothing grand about how they throw. Advanced? In age, maybe.

I don't see why not. I don't think rec should be competitive oriented...

I also know that rec is perceived that way by many new players and that they don't always know to research more on it to discover that they are wrong... Probably pushes a few of them away from going to them again.

It is what it is and I don't expect it to change... I'll add that if rec was actually recreational, I'd go to more of these

There are thousands of courses available on a daily basis for non-competitive play. Tournaments are about playing competitively, otherwise they would be called "disc golf parties". They aren't for everyone and there is nothing wrong with that.

I see that, though this doesn't get ppl together nor introduce folks to the rules and etiquette...

I see that, though this doesn't get ppl together nor introduce folks to the rules and etiquette...

How so? IMO it does both although my preference would be that players have rules/etiquette knowledge prior to playing PDGA events anyway. IMO leagues are the place for learning that.

(I realize my belief here is far from what is actually the case currently- there are tons of players whose first forays into tournament play are pdga events. It was not the case years ago when I started playing however which was well prior to the pdga making concerted efforts to be all things to all people.)

Do you mean, players rated under 900 should play in a division where they pay the same entry fee as higher-rated players, but can't win anything?

Yes. Maybe slightly lower fees if available. Players shouldn't expect anything at all in this [rec] division, it would be the true amateur division. Let intermediate be the division where merch payouts first become available. Plus for those 890+ rated players (like me) who ride roller coaster ratings, this would be the best way to combat those players who decide to play rec and end up winning by a large margin. Let them move up to intermediate if they want the chance to win merch, otherwise go win your trophy in rec.

The situation is as you say and won't change so accepting and adapting makes the most sense...

Why resist a true recreational division any way? It would be awesome to just go and play and be there just for the fun of it... A lot of ppl aren't all that competitive while others are... It would be a good thing to offer a product that appeals to a larger population... It would make tournaments more frequent and more profitable possibly...

To answer the "why not"... Some folks just want to get out to learn or have fun or even just to expand their social network... Recreational as truly recreational would appeal to them whereas it can turn ppl off now... I for one prefer this and am not all that interested in competing... If there were to be a true recreational I'd go to way more PDGA events

The situation is as you say and won't change so accepting and adapting makes the most sense...

Why resist a true recreational division any way? It would be awesome to just go and play and be there just for the fun of it... A lot of ppl aren't all that competitive while others are... It would be a good thing to offer a product that appeals to a larger population... It would make tournaments more frequent and more profitable possibly...

To answer the "why not"... Some folks just want to get out to learn or have fun or even just to expand their social network... Recreational as truly recreational would appeal to them whereas it can turn ppl off now... I for one prefer this and am not all that interested in competing... If there were to be a true recreational I'd go to way more PDGA events

If tournaments were any more frequent in this area you would have to start holding them on weekdays just to avoid the crush of already existing events. (Oh wait, there are people already holding weekday PDGA events around here- myself included)

I am of the opinion that having a subset of players in an event whose stated/sanctioned goal in said event is notably different from the rest of the field is a recipe for chaos. I am in full agreement with you that there is a place for non-competitive "just for fun" events (plenty of those around here as well)- i just differ in the idea that they should be simultaneous with more "serious" events on the same course.

So in this division, players wouldn't even keep score since it would be irrelevant? Sounds like a casual practice round.

They would keep score... I suppose it would or could be part of their record with the PDGA as well... Not sure on that and I know that it would require some debate/thought

They would keep score... I suppose it would or could be part of their record with the PDGA as well... Not sure on that and I know that it would require some debate/thought

Noill, I know you're a good guy and everything, but this is crazy talk! :p

Heh... Though I disagree

Anywhooo... I have talked to TD's that have a hard time filling events on occasion, so I can see a need for a boost... I won't go as far as discounting your experience with events in your area though...

I was under the impression that unsanctioned tournaments were ideal for giving newer players and the more recreational players a chance to get the tournament experience in a more casual setting. You get a chance to experience tournament pace of play and hopefully learn any rules you may not be aware along the way. I know that is the route I went when I wanted to get a taste of tournaments early on.

I also think it would be nice if Clubs and or TD's maybe ran an Amateur Only PDGA tourney once a year with low entry fees and trophy only to keep prices down for folks that may be on the fence about playing a PDGA event. Would be a nice gesture to help introduce new players to PDGA events and get some rated rounds to get an idea of where they stand in their area. Probably not going to be the most profitable event but would be a goodwill gesture for the Clubs to do once in awhile.

Otherwise I think Biscoe is right, it would be a recipe for chaos to have a super casual group playing on the same course as Open players and AM1/AM2 players. You don't want to alienate the more serious players while catering to the less serious crowd in a bigger PDGA event. Hate to make tournament pace of play any slower than it already is and frustrate a good portion of the players. Just might not be reasonable to think you can cater to all the various skill levels in a single tournament on one course.

Latest posts