• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a bag like the DD Trooper that is a little bigger?

Suspect

Birdie Member
I love the Trooper from DD. I'm looking for a bigger bag with features that the Trooper has...

-The Handle on top. This might be why I love it. I rarely use it as a backpack and just use the handle (I like the option). This part is sort of a must for me. I know I sound lazy here, but rarely bending over to pick up a bag strap/handle much closer to the ground is more work for a long event.

- Cup holder is amazing. I can fit a gallon of milk in that damn thing. I love the hole as well for spills.

- Pretty damn big and nicely built for a $40 bag. Bags that are around this price seem much smaller or just something I'm not into.

The one upper side pocket on the Trooper is not that great. It is skinny unlike the small bottom pocket. Putting stuff in and out of there can be a pain at times.

No feet for the ground, but I modified mine with rubber foam (then applied like 6 coats of Plastidip). This isn't a big issue, but I noticed on my old trooper bag that I gave to my dad had a little wear around the bottom.

If the Trooper basically had 1 bigger pocket to replace the skinny upper side pocket, a little bigger main compartment to add a rain jacket/hoodie (I usually carry 8-9 discs, Packit Cooler holding 3 or 4 drinks in it I would be very interested. The upper middle pocket is where I put my mini, clipboard/scorecard, earbuds, etc. is good.

I'd like to up to 125-150 max if possible.

I helped a buddy by caddying for him using a Gorilla Boy Simian. Holy hell thats amazing quality. I love the seat option. Its weird, but I would rather have a strong handle to carry it from shot to shot, with maybe using the backpack on longer walks.

I appreciate it, thanks.

You've got lots of options for that price range.

I just upgraded from a Trooper to a SuperHero, which I love so far. Actually sits upright when you put it on the ground, room for more discs than I need to carry, plus enough storage in the side pockets for a jacket or hoodie in case you get warm during your round.

I've never seen a backpack bag without either a separate carry handle or one integrated with the straps. Either work well.

I'd start by looking at the Innova Superhero and the Prodigy BP2.
I think they'd be closest to meeting all your criteria.

Thanks,
My one worry able the handle is that if I have a ton of crap in the bag with an okay handle....it will most likely tear/wear out. I'm guessing I carry around 12-15lbs using the Trooper. The stitching on it is nice.

You've got lots of options for that price range.

I just upgraded from a Trooper to a SuperHero, which I love so far. Actually sits upright when you put it on the ground, room for more discs than I need to carry, plus enough storage in the side pockets for a jacket or hoodie in case you get warm during your round.

Thanks, in your opinion is the handle sturdy enough to carry just by that or do you think it could tear easier than the Trooper handle?

Thanks, in your opinion is the handle sturdy enough to carry just by that or do you think it could tear easier than the Trooper handle?

I've only been playing with it for a month or so, but I pick it up by the handle all the time. Doesn't seem flimsy thus far.

Check out the thread for Voodoo spinal tap 3. I just sold my trooper to upgrade to this. Its alot bigger thst a trooper but the price (113$ shipped) is a crazy value

I love the Trooper from DD. I'm looking for a bigger bag with features that the Trooper has...

-The Handle on top. This might be why I love it. I rarely use it as a backpack and just use the handle (I like the option). This part is sort of a must for me. I know I sound lazy here, but rarely bending over to pick up a bag strap/handle much closer to the ground is more work for a long event.

- Cup holder is amazing. I can fit a gallon of milk in that damn thing. I love the hole as well for spills.

- Pretty damn big and nicely built for a $40 bag. Bags that are around this price seem much smaller or just something I'm not into.

The one upper side pocket on the Trooper is not that great. It is skinny unlike the small bottom pocket. Putting stuff in and out of there can be a pain at times.

No feet for the ground, but I modified mine with rubber foam (then applied like 6 coats of Plastidip). This isn't a big issue, but I noticed on my old trooper bag that I gave to my dad had a little wear around the bottom.

If the Trooper basically had 1 bigger pocket to replace the skinny upper side pocket, a little bigger main compartment to add a rain jacket/hoodie (I usually carry 8-9 discs, Packit Cooler holding 3 or 4 drinks in it I would be very interested. The upper middle pocket is where I put my mini, clipboard/scorecard, earbuds, etc. is good.

I'd like to up to 125-150 max if possible.

I helped a buddy by caddying for him using a Gorilla Boy Simian. Holy hell thats amazing quality. I love the seat option. Its weird, but I would rather have a strong handle to carry it from shot to shot, with maybe using the backpack on longer walks.

I appreciate it, thanks.

Try the Commander. It is a good bag that is most like a Quad straps and bigger type single strap tournament bag but modified into a Disc golf backpack. The bag can hold a bunch of discs but storage is a bit odd on that bag. Another is the Superhero bag, a H2O model is or was made for that as they lack a rain fly. these do not have a true handle like the Trouper but the new BP-1 v2 from Prodigy is a great bag, DGN on his Youtube page has bought one recently of those, they do take a bit to put togther.

The Comander does not have a seperate handle but one built into the straps as does the Superhero, H2O model. The BP-1 v2 I am not sure on.

Last edited:
Oh uh a cheap model the Athetico Disc Golf backpack has a side pocket that is more padded a cheap cooler though I had to on the backside of the zipper stop the bag side pockets from opening up all the way, the bag is not all that durable but it has feet though one might want to add some kind of strength to it, is just double the sides and the sides are thinner of the rough fabric type nylon that are a tad thin.

I'm a little torn over the Superhero and the Prodigy BP-2. How are these when its a rainy day? I'm guessing the Superhero is bigger by looking at reviews.

I'm a little torn over the Superhero and the Prodigy BP-2. How are these when its a rainy day? I'm guessing the Superhero is bigger by looking at reviews.

Not sure, never used either but I know from others that the Superhero in the H20 model (red and black only color) is the only one that is Waterproof/Repellent. The Prodigy BP-2 or whatever it is called I think comes with a rainfly? Anyhow that one is More and more of the non super high end bags come with a rainfly now. for the BP-1 V2.

I thought so with the BP-1, not sure if the 2 is even made anymore.

I decided to go with the Superhero bag. Looking forward to having more space.

Thanks all

So DD rebranded the trooper into an "MVP Shuttle" bag?

Are they carbon copies?

Latest posts