• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Is there a beadless Comet?

Finally got myself a Meteor to test. It's a Z Meteor at 176g. First, it's the most comfortable mid I've ever held with a BH grip. It did seem a little bit faster than my Comets and that's why I thought it was more stable at first. Once I got the speed dialed down I was able to hit nearly identical lines as my Comets. Not saying it's a beadless Comet but I think it's as close as I'll get.

Theory from axiom is just a slower meteor FWIW. I liked the meteor but got annoyed by the faster speed when throwing some shorter mid/finesse shots. It has a weird turning point of no return yet needs decent speed/hyzer to stay straight too.

Finally got myself a Meteor to test. It's a Z Meteor at 176g. First, it's the most comfortable mid I've ever held with a BH grip. It did seem a little bit faster than my Comets and that's why I thought it was more stable at first. Once I got the speed dialed down I was able to hit nearly identical lines as my Comets. Not saying it's a beadless Comet but I think it's as close as I'll get.

Kind of the same way I felt about the Legacy Gauge. It's a bit faster than a comet but can hold all of the same lines - but it's still less of a finesse disc because of it's speed.

The comet was actually the very first disc I ever bought and I still throw the original one I purchased. I have stuck to it for years and not messed with too huge of a selection of mid ranges. I usually only throw a Roc, Comet, and Pain. The closest other mid range that I have thrown that reminded me of a comet was a Lat64 Fuse. According to the stats, is it a touch faster. To me, it was a just a bit more under stable than the comet and has less glide.

You may want to give the Fuse a try.

I liked the meteor but got annoyed by the faster speed when throwing some shorter mid/finesse shots. It has a weird turning point of no return yet needs decent speed/hyzer to stay straight too.

I really noticed this today. Played a round with the Meteor and then did some field work with it. I actually had a hard time getting a decent turnover with the Meteor even while putting some good effort into it. It was wanting to straighten out right at the end almost every time. Never had that issue with the Comet.

One thing I really didn't expect about the Meteor is that it can handle a FH on a hyzer release. I was cranking FH hyzers with it in an open field and getting it to flip to flat and hold a laser straight line. Not sure right now where or if the Meteor will find a place in my bag.

Between my 400g M4 and 350g M4 I could never ask for more. I won't comment on the 400g as all has been said about it. The 350g is flippier and seems a touch slower. Holds an anny amazingly even at low speed throws. Hyzerflips to right turns at high speeds, whereas the hyzerflip with the 400g flips to straight or to a barely slight drift right. This is an awesome combo for me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Used to bag Comets, while the rim feels like a cross between a Mako and Stingray, a nice pop top premium plastic Mystic will hold up nicely against it, in particular in the woods. Gateway has been doing them in Platinum, even has some tye dyes now, usually Element and Karma are the mids people think of with Gateway, but this and it's flatter straight stable brother the Scout (Mystic is a concave rim of this with domey Element top) are underrated discs.

I love everything about the Comet except it's bead. Is there a mid out there that flies just like the Comet but is beadless? My favorite thing about the Comet is how I can hyzer-flip it for dead straight shots in the woods. I've considered checking out a Meteor but am worried that it would be too understable and not hold dead straight lines.

Anybody know of a beadless Comet clone? I'm not interested in an X-Buzzz because I like my throwers in premium plastic so they keep their flights a long time. Not into seasoning/cycling. Also, I only consider discs made in the USA (no Trilogy).

Cobra or the Stingray. Stingray right now is only found in DX and Cobra has only ever been found in DX.

Check out the Gateway Mystic, has the same top as the Element with a beadless bottom, and for me Elements fly like shallower faster Comets.

Has anyone talked about the Sol? I don't think it has a bead, and it sure seems to have the Comet Glide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone talked about the Sol? I don't think it has a bead, and it sure seems to have the Comet Glide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, the Z production run seems to be less power hungry than the Comet for me if that makes any sense.

casey take a break, this thread is three years old and you're wrong multiple times... again.

The Stingray is the Comet equivalent in the same midrange speed that is without a bead. However not having a bead at that level of US means the Stingray will not hold up to wind. However I seem to be only finding for now the Stingray in DX.

The Stingray is the Comet equivalent in the same midrange speed that is without a bead. However not having a bead at that level of US means the Stingray will not hold up to wind. However I seem to be only finding for now the Stingray in DX.

No, stingrays are way flipper than comets, especially in dx

Last edited:
I found the Star Stingrays to be quite a bit more stable than the DX runs, for me they were a different disc.

Latest posts