• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a correlation between how far you can throw a putter vs a driver?

Donald Smith

Bogey Member
Hi,

It would make since that if you can throw a putter x distance, that you should be able to throw a driver X+Y distance, or a LOT farther. So let's say a person can throw a Pole Cat 160', how far should they be able to throw a driver? I know that will vary depending on the driver, the wind, and other variables, but in your experience, can you throw your driver 2x the D of your putter? 1.5X your putter? What about your mids? are they 2x the putter and your driver 3x your putter?

I can throw my Putter 150 to 160', my mids are aren't that much shorter than my drivers, about 200 to 225, and my drivers are around 250 to 290. I'm 52 years old so I don't see me getting much more D, but I would like to be able to throw 300+ consistantly. But that's a subject for a different thread.

I guess what would really help, is if you would share how far you can throw your putter, mids and drivers. Then I could see other's relationships in their D.

I use a Pole cat, and just got an Aviar, Mids are Coyotes, StingRay, Sharks, Drivers, Wraith, Valkerie, Archangle, Viking, TeeBird, Dragon, Leopards.

I would assume that different discs would go further, just like using different clubs in golf. IF you get the same throw. Yet I've had my Val, and Wra land with in two feet of each other. I've had my TB go further than the others, sometimes it just a really good throw, or I've had bad throws with my Wra and Valk. The Arch and TB are becoming my favorites, and I like the Dragon and Leo too. My nephew threw a Leo about 20 to 30' further than he did any of my other discs, but I think he got a really good throw in that one time.

Thanks!
Donald

I can throw putters about 200ft.

I can throw mids about 275ft.

I can throw fairway drivers(Teebird and TL) a little over 300ft.

I can throw drivers(SL, Beast and Orc) about 325ft on the better throws. But when I do field practice, sometimes my drivers don't go any farther than my fairways which tells me I probably need to work on my form.

I throw putters up to about 265', mids up to around 295', fairway drivers up to 315' and distance drivers to about 350'.

Learning to drive with a putter definately helps your drives with anything else. putter will turn over easy so it will force you to slow down when throwing. This will lead to better control. I think I need to get off of the computer and go to the field and throw some putters right now!!

For me I can't really throw my mids any farther than my putter. I am ordering a lighter weight mid to see if that makes a differance as all my mids were 180g.

I think if you can throw your putters 150-160 with control you are doing just fine. I can throw longer than most of the people I play with however it is rarely an advantage. Say the hole is 350. I can reach the hole however the majority of the time I will still have a 30-40 foot putt which I will miss and still make a par. My friend will throw 225 feet on his drive, then throw a 125 foot approach shot and make the ten foot put still scoring the same as me. Also if I would have hit a tree on my long drive it would have put me deep in the woods leaving me a bogey or worse.

Last edited:
I've never gone out and just tried to bomb a putter but I use it within 250 feet. (Wizard)
Mids, I can throw my Wasp about 300-325.
Teebird over 350
Crush has been up to 400
Surge is barely longer than Crush.

I've never gone out and just tried to bomb a putter but I use it within 250 feet. (Wizard)
Mids, I can throw my Wasp about 300-325.
Teebird over 350
Crush has been up to 400
Surge is barely longer than Crush.
Mine is similar to that.

The distances in the OP sound normal to me.

Putter (Aviar) up to 250
Mid (Roc) up to 300
Drivers up to 400

Comparing a few of us throwing putters 250 and drivers 400. That's a 1.6 ratio difference of drivers over putters. If you would consider that a standard (it's not) then based off your putters you should only be throwing your drivers a max of 256 feet. Which tells me your efficiency with the putters is not what it could be. You are probably masking problems with your drivers by having such a huge gap between your putters (150-160) and drivers (300, 2x as long)

Interesting. One thing I've noticed, I've been working alot with mids and putters lately, increasing distance with both. It hasn't translated yet to drivers (I know it will, could well be the cold and less-then-sure-footing on tees in winter) Distance has been capped at about 340ish or so

But I have reduced the "gap". Before, my putter only came out for shots less than 100ft. I pushed that to near 200 by fall (some form and some confidence), and since I've really worked on it, use it up to 240, when it makes sense to use the line it gives me. Rocs are now pushing 280, with much cleaner releases...I hope to see 300ft from my Rocs by spring.

Mine hasn't translated yet either. I'm would say putters 240 but I played an entire 24 with em and stretched em way further. Mids 280. Drivers 320:(

And I thought I had work to do! Thanks, you made me feel a little better. Keep chucking, it will get better.

Thanks for all the replies. I took and averaged the answers together and 1.5 is the magic number for the average. Some are a little further, some shorter, but if you can throw a putter 100 feet, then you should be able to throw a driver 150. Or if you can throw a putter 200' then you should be able to throw a driver 300'. I'm looking at 150' for a putter, the polecat, don't know about my aviar, it's white and there is snow on the ground. I just got it for Christmas, so I don't want to loose it like I did my brand new white Beast that I also got for Christmas. It's in my yard, so unless my dog carries it off, I'll find it when the snow melts.

I"m looking forward to springier weather so I can get outside and try to see how far I can throw my aviar. I don't think comparing D on a polecat to D on a aviar is comparing apples with apples.

We shall see.. :)

Thanks again for all the replies! and have a great, safe and fun filled year playing DG.
Donald

Putters - 175-200
Mids - 225-275
Drivers - 275 - 315

(The first distance is my max controlled D, then my Max D)

I'm sure there is a correlation, but I don't think throwing a driver far neccessarily translates into throwing a putter far.

I throw Aviars on shots up to around 320' or so depending on what I need, but don't throw my drivers much further than that these days. Probably a max of 425' or so these days.

I never used to throw putters so far until I pulled all the midrange discs out of my bag. I think the distance only improved after a lot of practice specifically with the putters.

I'm sure there is a correlation, but I don't think throwing a driver far neccessarily translates into throwing a putter far.

I throw Aviars on shots up to around 320' or so depending on what I need, but don't throw my drivers much further than that these days. Probably a max of 425' or so these days.

I never used to throw putters so far until I pulled all the midrange discs out of my bag. I think the distance only improved after a lot of practice specifically with the putters.
My guess is that on the low and high end of how far people throw the ratio probably changes.

I'll also say that not having a ratio similar to what people have mentioned here can point to a specific problem. For example, if all of your discs fly about the same distance you're probably throwing nose up. If you're able to throw distance drivers 320'-350' but can't get a putter to fly farther than 150' without flipping and rolling you probably have some pretty severe OAT problems.

Latest posts