• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a correlation between how far you can throw a putter vs a driver?

My guess is that on the low and high end of how far people throw the ratio probably changes.

I'll also say that not having a ratio similar to what people have mentioned here can point to a specific problem. For example, if all of your discs fly about the same distance you're probably throwing nose up. If you're able to throw distance drivers 320'-350' but can't get a putter to fly farther than 150' without flipping and rolling you probably have some pretty severe OAT problems.

Words of wisdom.

I was able to get drivers to the 320-350 range, but struggled with the putter. The drivers were masking the bigger problem. It took quite a bit of work and patience, but my putters can hit over 220 now, with a nice clean flight. Same with mids up to about 280ish now, nice and clean. Hasn't translated yet to increased distance, but I expect it will. Time for a couple putter only rounds...

Hi,

Sounds like working with putters and mids only will show a lot of mistakes, and improve D better than just throwing drivers. I used to carry a full bag of discs, but lately I've been selecting a putter, mid and driver and playing with just three discs, sometimes 4 if I carry to drivers. I've never thought of playing with a putter only. I bet that would be an interesting round of DG.:doh:

Thanks for all the input!
Donald

Personally, I can't throw a putter accurately past 150' but I can huk them out to 200'. I HATE throwing putters for distance b/c my tiny hands hate power gripping the domey bastards.

Other distances: Mids ~290-300', Drivers ~330' (semi-controlled), ~390' all-out shooting my wad D.

I have Burger King hands too and at first struggled til I realized my fingers don't have to touch the plate. I can now get my magnet 250 with supreme accuracy and huck it even further. Try a ringer for more low profile

Words of wisdom.

I was able to get drivers to the 320-350 range, but struggled with the putter. The drivers were masking the bigger problem. It took quite a bit of work and patience, but my putters can hit over 220 now, with a nice clean flight. Same with mids up to about 280ish now, nice and clean. Hasn't translated yet to increased distance, but I expect it will. Time for a couple putter only rounds...

Putter rounds are such a great practice technique for so many different reasons! It definately helps/forces you to smooth out your release which hopefully in turn allows you to get some consistant and longer drives.

Personally, I can't throw a putter accurately past 150' but I can huk them out to 200'. I HATE throwing putters for distance b/c my tiny hands hate power gripping the domey bastards.

Other distances: Mids ~290-300', Drivers ~330' (semi-controlled), ~390' all-out shooting my wad D.

Try usin a fan grip for drivin putter brother dave! ;) I can get em out to 250' easy that way (DX Aviar)

P.S. And don't forget to hyzer flip!!!!

Putters- 320 easy used to go 350 when I threw all Gateway.

Mids- I only use them to 350 or so but can throw a Buzzz about 380'.

Fairways like a Tracker, XL, Cyclone up to 400'

Drivers- Golf D avg around 425.

putters = 200ft and in
mids = 300ft and in
fairways = 350 and in
max drivers = 350+

I can get more than that out of each class if conditions are right, but typically I would rather move to the next class because my personal release has shown optimal control at the above distances.

Thanks for all the replies. I took and averaged the answers together and 1.5 is the magic number for the average. Some are a little further, some shorter, but if you can throw a putter 100 feet, then you should be able to throw a driver 150. Or if you can throw a putter 200' then you should be able to throw a driver 300'. I'm looking at 150' for a putter, the polecat, don't know about my aviar, it's white and there is snow on the ground. I just got it for Christmas, so I don't want to loose it like I did my brand new white Beast that I also got for Christmas. It's in my yard, so unless my dog carries it off, I'll find it when the snow melts.

I"m looking forward to springier weather so I can get outside and try to see how far I can throw my aviar. I don't think comparing D on a polecat to D on a aviar is comparing apples with apples.

We shall see.. :)

Thanks again for all the replies! and have a great, safe and fun filled year playing DG.
Donald

Welcome to the club man.
It's an awesome sport. Full of nature and activity.
A lot of the folks on this forum are tournament players.
Many others, like myself, are recreational.
You can get ANY info and feedback you need here.
Good times.

Putters- 320 easy used to go 350 when I threw all Gateway.

Mids- I only use them to 350 or so but can throw a Buzzz about 380'.

Fairways like a Tracker, XL, Cyclone up to 400'

Drivers- Golf D avg around 425.

Though my distances are far from yours, my putters are creeping on my mids. When do you reach for your mids? Is it for a lower line?

Though my distances are far from yours, my putters are creeping on my mids. When do you reach for your mids? Is it for a lower line?

Low lines and shots where I need to manipulate the flight a good bit. Like I said I used my putter a lot more when throwing Gateway but plan on working it in more this year so I can rely on shot more since when I threw it all the time my stroke was pretty much perfect every but since I reach for it less now I am a little less confident when I do.

Basically I need to decide what I personally feel better with on specific shots instead of being 50-50 when I step up to the tee. It wouldn't hurt if I would practice a bit too.

Try usin a fan grip for drivin putter brother dave! ;) I can get em out to 250' easy that way (DX Aviar)

I agree with that. When I tried a fan grip "some yeas ago" it helped me smooth out the flights of both my midrange and putters. I tend to throw heavy Roc's for a mid and older black super soft Omaga putters.

Altho, if I'm wanting to throw my putter 250 or more. I'll grip it like a driver and throw it hard and fast with alot of hyzer. It will tend to roll up to a level plane around 100' or so and then fly straight.

putters = 200ft and in
mids = 300ft and in
fairways = 350 and in
max drivers = 350+

I can get more than that out of each class if conditions are right, but typically I would rather move to the next class because my personal release has shown optimal control at the above distances.

Understanding distances and your own throwing limitations is key to consistency.

very respectable distances. Not pro length, but long enough to be fairly competitive. (You beat me by 25' on all accounts.)

The snow has melted and I found my Beast, it was about 2' farther than I thought, and on the other side of the fence. FWIW, I love my Beast. I can throw it consistantly farther than my Wraith, Crush, Orc, TeeBird or Valkeri. It also behaves the same when I throw it back hand or side arm, unlike, my Leopards which even with hyzer, will rotate to the left and turn into rollers when I throw side arm, but fly beautifully back hand.

Now that my pasture is snow free, I've been going out after work and tossing a few discs around. I watched a video about trying for a smooth step and throw instead of throwing as hard as you can. I took my Roc, Stingray, Coyote, and Shark out this afternoon, and the best I did was 210' with the Roc and Stingray. The others are only 10 to 15' short of that, but the grouping was nice and tight.

Still haven't thrown the Aviar as far as I can to see what kind of D I get with it.

It's amazing to me that you all are getting some of the D that you are with mids and drivers. Right now I'm working on accuracy, and just getting a smooth release. I figure D with come with time, and if it doesn't, I'm okay with consistant and accurate 250 to 275' drives.

Donald

I can throw my putters out to 340'= X and my mids out to 360'=X+20 and my drivers I can throw over 450' = X+20+100+Y.SO then it would be like this,PUTTERS= X, MIDS= X+20, DRIVERS= X+20+100+Y(Y= and some more)

Latest posts