• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a quick and easy way to learn to throw a roller

ShaZaun

Eagle Member
I am somewhat a beginner to disc golf. My drives range from 220 to 300 feet pretty consistantly. I've entered my first tourney and some of the holes are very long (450 to 700 feet). I heard that if I learned to throw a roller it should get me some extra distance. I've been practicing some of the stuff I find on the internet but with no real results. If I don't get it down I'll just play my norm game ( read to that on a diff forum...love this sight );). Any help will be put to good use.

if you anhyzer a really understable disc (monarch, roadrunner, etc) you should be able to get it to turn up and land on it's edge and roll...

Rolling can get you some extra distance, but if you don't have the time to work out the kinks in your rollers, I'd stick with what you know. Depending on how the hole is laid out, a poorly-thrown roller can get you into more trouble than coming up short with an air-shot.

Personally, I like to throw understable discs with anhyzer (like mentioned above) for my rollers, but you can roll almost any disc...you just have to get out in a field and test them to find the right combination of anhyzer angle + power it takes to get each particular disc to roll well. A few things that helped me out when I was learning rollers was to lean your body back a little and to adjust your grip so that the edge of the disc is sitting closer to the base of your fingers (as opposed to sitting in the crease of your palm). It'll also help to focus on following-through after your drive...this should help you maintain your anhyzer angle longer. These are things that have worked for me, but the best advice I could give anyone is to just grab some discs and hit the practice field.

if you're having trouble throwing a roller, I think one thing might help you get started. Instead of trying to roll with an understable driver, why don't you go get an understable mid-range, such as Innova's Stingray or Discraft's Stratus. These are both good, high-turning discs that will flip easier than most drivers. Also, changing your form might help out. if you make your release point higher, that will usually force you to throw the disc with the wign a little higher. The roller throw is similar to an anhyzer throw, but you want to find the disc that flips over too much and becomes a roller.

If you have anyway to film yourself and post it on here or youtube, that would help others see what you're doing and what you might need to correct.

A few things that helped me out when I was learning rollers was to lean your body back a little...
This advice was also given to me and helps. Just to clarify: make sure your upper body is leaning back when you release the disc, not just on the approach.

ERic

How many rollers do I throw in a game? Hmmmmm, None! They are too unpredictable. Rollers have their place but rarely for long drives. Keep throwing straight 200-300' drives. Work on your technique & they will be 300-400' & so on. Disc Golf Rules!!

My drives range from 220 to 300 feet pretty consistantly.

Is this a triple oxymoron?

Honestly if you can't thow over 300' you probably don't have the technique to put the kind of power on a disc to turn it over enough for it to roll. Try the Scott Stokely distance secrets DVD. It will give you some good basic techniques and you will almost imediately start turning over your understable discs.

I also use a Stingray for rollers, though I agree that if you are throwing <300ft, you should stick with your drive and just keep going at it in the air. As noted, rollers are unpredictable and difficult to throw with consistent positive results. When do I throw rollers? When I out in an open field practicing throwing rollers. Very rarely on the course.

I use my beat up DX Cheetah forehand for rollers. Throw it flat and it rolls straight and left. Throw it slightly annie and it rolls straight and right. I only use rollers as a last resort.

How many rollers do I throw in a game? Hmmmmm, None! They are too unpredictable. Rollers have their place but rarely for long drives. Keep throwing straight 200-300' drives. Work on your technique & they will be 300-400' & so on. Disc Golf Rules!!

This is funny.I can roll with just as much accuracy as an air shot.
Take your money with it too LOL.
Seriously,This IS a must know shot.There are some shots where nothing else makes sense to me.
And I can roll on some holes much farther than if I were to air.
Rollers RULE.
Beat up Stingray short,Roadrunner Mid,Sidewinder Long

Does anyone have any advice or better vids on how to throw a FH roller? I do believe this is a perfectly usable shot, I think most people just give up on it.

I tried throwing rollers for a while and then decided to focus on my air shots. The rollers just seemed to unpredictable...maybe that is just how I was throwing them. I can certainly see them being helpful in the right circumstance but for me they are a last resort.

I have accidently thrown some killer rollers. One with a #2 Roller, a huuuuge disc. One with a #3 Driver.

Latest posts