• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this a real shot???

I'd throw a tomahawk aiming to have the disc hit the chains upside down over the hippy flip in that situation. I'm calling it worthless.
I'm calling you worthless.

I kid. I kid. :D

So, AGAIN, it works for me really well. YMMV.

More opinions stated as fact but I'll bite:

Let me start by listing my my criteria for using the shot in question. The direct putt line is blocked from eye level down and the shot is within 10'.

I'm not saying the turbo putt isn't as functional but in my experiences the amount of spin needed for an accurate turbo putt causes more inconsistency in the chains than the hippie flip at short distances. If I could guarantee to myself that I would always hit strong side on a blind up and over shot then I would go with the turbo. Since that doesn't happen I've become proficient with basketball style.

Outside of 10' the hippie flip is garbage and will start moving to the right for me.

Niche shot: yes
Worthless: no*

*INHO

meh everything on here is opinions - what people write on here as "facts" will be obsolete in 10 years as far as this game is concerned anyway. That's why you don't see the guys who have played for 20-30 years posting in "help my technique" threads ;) cuz they know.

I think I'm just mad because despite playing basketball for 20 of my 24 years on this earth (and while not trying to toot my own horn, I will say I'm a great shooter) I can't make that flat disc consistently go in the basket like that :doh:

I've always heard that it's a higher percentage shot when closer to the basket for those that practice it. Because of the way the disc is spinning, it will grab the chains and dump it down into the basket. I don't use it, but I've seen it used quite a few times.

It has its place - at 15 feet. It can be a "sure fire" way to make a 15 footer when you aren't comfortable with flying the disc to the basket at 15 feet (beginners, windy days, etc.)

You have to throw it a lot harder than you would think. Put as much effort as you can into making it spin, so the disc is spinning so fast it essentially becomes a sphere as far as the wind knows.

Okay, okay. It's useful, it's not useful.

The fact is, in the rare case it would be useful as zenbot explained, it's easy enough to do it that it requires no practice at all. Don't waste your time and energy practicing something with such an extremely low ceiling of practicality.

I know a guy who uses this technique all the time for short gimme putts. I figured it's mostly for flair, but I have seen him miss a short putt this way. I've also seen a video where Climo taps in a short putt like this. Now I now it's called the hippie flip. Thanks DGCR. :)

It has its place - at 15 feet. It can be a "sure fire" way to make a 15 footer when you aren't comfortable with flying the disc to the basket at 15 feet (beginners, windy days, etc.)

You have to throw it a lot harder than you would think. Put as much effort as you can into making it spin, so the disc is spinning so fast it essentially becomes a sphere as far as the wind knows.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn shootin free throws?? Legit. Lay-ups only with that shot for me.

jim myers (former masters world champ) uses that putt for his shorties...

Uhhh yeah...I was gonna say the same thing and so does Tom Edwards aka Flippy Putt. I believe that's where Mr.Dger learned it.

Am I seeing things, or on the first hole, did it look like he threw a high speed driver on a 199ft hole?:confused:

Am I seeing things, or on the first hole, did it look like he threw a high speed driver on a 199ft hole?:confused:
I don't think so. It didn't fly like one.

attachment.php

What does that look like?

Attachments

• whatdisc.png
    whatdisc.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 145
flip putts are sick when in the hands of someone whose good at it. first time i ever saw it was a guy using a Birdie no less and he flip putted a 30' like it was nothing. he putted the whole round in front of us like that. its actually a really safe shot to take at 10' and under

I knew a guy that would flip up his disc with his left hand and spike it into the basket with his right on gimmes. It just makes you look baller.
Not legal in PDGA competition though. You would be interfering with your shot initially thrown by your left hand with your right hand. Player gets a 2-shot penalty for Intentional Interference and the lie is marked on the ground below where the right hand first touched it. His score is now 3 shots higher than before and the player putts again...:)

Last edited:
All these comments about the flip putt but nothing on the around the back putt??

While we're talking unusual putting styles - anyone try the Bi-moto putt? Similar to turbo putting but with two hands.

flip putts are sick when in the hands of someone whose good at it. first time i ever saw it was a guy using a Birdie no less and he flip putted a 30' like it was nothing. he putted the whole round in front of us like that. its actually a really safe shot to take at 10' and under

That's my max range with this shot. I've been doing it on and off for 20 some years. Never spits out.

It's basically a turbo putt without the proper spin applied. At Sylmar we call it a Shaq Putt. It's amusing to do once in a while but not amazingly reliable.

Since we all agree that the shot in question is called the "hippie flip", I would like to introduce a new name for the Turbo putt..... The Pepperoni.
Live it, love it, putt it. :|

Latest posts