• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this disc ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really smashed a DX Valk before and it was the most awesome disc ever for about a month of me continuing to smash it into things to where it was like throwing a paper plate.

Try it and see where its at. Put some steep hyzer into it.

Champion plastic is way over rated. Wearing in a less durable plastic flies much better, glides better and is more useful.

Until it is used up in 3 months. Champ and Star are the better value.

Animage, throw that Teebird and see what happens.

It depends on the disc. The least durable DX discs I'd consider using will only be marginally more expensive if you never loose a disc and way less expensive if you do lose a disc.

my 168g dx teebird.

It met some concrete. I put it away soon as I picked it up and didn't throw it again. Very noticable feel and look even from about 15 feet away when i ran up to it.

Slightly scared to throw it again, until I find out its just fine or not.

GetAttachment.aspx

DO NOT THROW IT!!! Take it to the Disc Hospital (call DISC-11), and they'll send some EDT (Emergency Disc Technicians) straight to your address, and start taking care of it. Picking your disc up off the ground is the WORST thing you could have done- you had no idea if it had internal bleeding or had slipped itself, a disc.

After some intense ICU, you may someday be able to hold your disc again. Until then, you might want to make arrangements. I know a good lake that you can toss it into just in case. Or get it cremated and sprinkle it on its favorite hole.

However this turns out, make sure you never throw a disc that lands hard on the ground again- it can only lead in heartache.

(P.S.- just thrown the dang thing)

Are you really that dense? Three months, the **** is wrong with you? I have disc that were made back in the 90's and they still throw great, DX, and TP. These disc can last several seasons depending on the locale and uses of the disc. Get your heads out of your asses people. DX Rocs beat into the best turn over Mids but seriously take 1-2 good seasons to beat in unless you play every single day. That means they still have plenty of good turnover time left in their life a few seasons or so. It all depends on where you play and if the disc has an mishaps during it's life. Yeah, there are some good hits that could end a disc's life well before it's time. But, that doesn't change the over all perception.

Star has many upsides to it. It beats in at a much slower rate giving them an incredibly long life span with all the advantages that come with wear also. Often close to the same flight characteristics of Pro with more durability. They gain glide and longer flights just like DX and pro and beat into their sweet spot much longer than DX and Pro so they last over all much longer and often fly much like their DX and Pro counterparts stability wise after you beat the initial stability out of them.

Champion has it's uses, but it's rarely needed. It's over kill in terms of durability for the most part and often makes more disc turn out way more stable than they should be forcing you to change molds where one DX can easily cover the role of two disc. Champion has it's uses in terms of disc that you don't want to change stability hardly ever, IE true over stables. These disc often lose LOTS of glide than their cheaper plastic counter parts, plus grip as well. Most people know these things, so I don't know I sit here and type all this out..... Champion is great for someone that wants to buy 2-3 disc and have them last the rest of their life while retaining much of their stability.

My guess is that "ruined" might not be the perfect description. It's probably closer to "way awesome" now.

That's what I was thinking. I was going to tell him to try and hit that concrete about 10 more times and taco it once or twice on a tree and it should be the best disc in his bag. The only things that could rival it's awesomeness would have would be a Roc, Gazelle, or Eagle that went throught the same thing.

Last edited:
Are you really that dense? Three months, the **** is wrong with you? I have disc that were made back in the 90's and they still throw great, DX, and TP. These disc can last several seasons depending on the locale and uses of the disc. Get your heads out of your asses people. DX Rocs beat into the best turn over Mids but seriously take 1-2 good seasons to beat in unless you play every single day. That means they still have plenty of good turnover time left in their life a few seasons or so. It all depends on where you play and if the disc has an mishaps during it's life. Yeah, there are some good hits that could end a disc's life well before it's time. But, that doesn't change the over all perception.

Star has many upsides to it. It beats in at a much slower rate giving them an incredibly long life span with all the advantages that come with wear also. Often close to the same flight characteristics of Pro with more durability. They gain glide and longer flights just like DX and pro and beat into their sweet spot much longer than DX and Pro so they last over all much longer and often fly much like their DX and Pro counterparts stability wise after you beat the initial stability out of them.

Champion has it's uses, but it's rarely needed. It's over kill in terms of durability for the most part and often makes more disc turn out way more stable than they should be forcing you to change molds where one DX can easily cover the role of two disc. Champion has it's uses in terms of disc that you don't want to change stability hardly ever, IE true over stables. These disc often lose LOTS of glide than their cheaper plastic counter parts, plus grip as well. Most people know these things, so I don't know I sit here and type all this out..... Champion is great for someone that wants to buy 2-3 disc and have them last the rest of their life while retaining much of their stability.

Are you really that dense? Sure DX mids last a while. I have old DX mids too. DX drivers just don't last. Playing everyday, DX drivers last about 3 months.

Words of Wisdom

Unless you are throwing a ProD putter(which I do for grip and chain forgiveness), or have a unique use for an EliteX Tracker(more workable than ESP or Z) or ProBoss(less stable than the mighty Champion and Star versions, and not a paper plate like the R-Pro version)

than ALWAYS invest in Discraft "Z" or Innova Champion or Discraft ESP(DGA discs are Discraft made)...the reason being, you want consistency over the long haul...yes these discs will break down slightly. But unless you are a pro, who literally carries 4 discs, but 3 of each of those discs....than don't bother.

I still have ESP discs that are the same after the first year...as they are now in the fifth year. ESP is expensive for a reason....you will never have to buy it again. As for Z and champion....very durable plastic regardless of age, and generally more overstable than their Star(plastic does not hold up, but you may prefer it, if you like carrying three of each disc) or ESP cousins.

As for Pro, ProD, R-Pro, EliteX, gloPlastics, and most any other plastics made by companies other than Discraft or Innova.....sorry to say....but the plastic was designed to break down....guessing so you will have to buy more....

In other words....don't be afraid to pay almost twice as much for a disc you will never have to purchase again....not to mention, your game will improve with more consistent plastic.

How many discs have I had to replace because they were destroyed beyond use? 2. 1 150 DX Valk that I would just crank the crap out of into a bunch of trees, but wast really destroyed just got too flippy and 1 DX Banshee I thumbered for 10 years and its not actually broke but if I kept going Im sure it would be.

How many had to be replaced because they got lost? Dont know but am sure there has been a lot so I cant remember them all.

Not saying that I dont prefer champ but DX and the cheaper are not near as bad as people portray.

yes i agree my bag mainly has champ/star/ce plastic. but some disc can only be good in dx! i have two very seasoned dx leopards that i can hyzer flip on call all day long. champs dont do that and i wouldnt get rid of either leopard for a 100 bill. dx discs are cheap and are amazing after a good ass whoopn`.

As for Pro, ProD, R-Pro, EliteX, gloPlastics, and most any other plastics made by companies other than Discraft or Innova.....sorry to say....but the plastic was designed to break down....guessing so you will have to buy more....

In other words....don't be afraid to pay almost twice as much for a disc you will never have to purchase again....not to mention, your game will improve with more consistent plastic.
I totally disagree with all of what I quoted above.

The plastics aren't designed to break in faster. It's just what they had as options at the time. The discs from those times, however, are designed to fly the best after they break in. Because the plastics beat up, they designed extra overstability into them so they'd fly well for a really long time. They even get longer and easier to control as they beat up. They don't change fast enough to mess with consistancy, they get easier to control. Many of these discs don't break in the same way in the higher end plastics. Rather than getting longer and easier to control they tend to get more squirrley but still with more fade.

The break in period for these discs is not constant. They loose stability kind of quickly at first and then the rate at which the flight changes drops off pretty quick. In the time it takes a DX disc to go from "nicely beat" to "more understable than you want" (at which point they're some of the best turnover discs out there), a high end disc will go from "nice and new" to "kind of hard to control how much it turns" and still be 5% shorter than their DX counterpart.

If you critically examine the argumets against DX type plastic you'll find some major inconsistancies. The two arguments are that it either breaks in too fast or that it's hard to replace broken in discs. They clearly conflict.

Economically, the theory that the low end discs are supposed to break in so you buy more doesn't add up, either. Think of how many discs most pepole have replaced because of getting too beat compared to how many discs people have replaced because they lose them. Then consider it costs twice as much to replace a high end disc. I'm in my 6th season, throw mostly low end plastic and my "wear out to lose" ratio is at least 50:1. Most of the replacements because of wear (which is only a couple of discs) were some catastrophic event like piercing the flight plate. So it wasn't because they wore out, it's because they broke.

If you're discarding low end discs left and right you're probably either not choosing the right discs or are using overstability to cover a form problem. I don't doubt some people actually play enough on the right types of courses to beat up discs super fast, but those people are in the minority, play a lot and are probably good enough to control higher end discs anyway.

Yeah, I think everyone has posted the majority so I really don't have to post. DX drivers and mids, hell even putters last ****ing forever. I have 5 Leopards sitting here that are the OLD stamp Leopards, Ultra long range driver Bar stamps, and older stamp leopard with newer fairway driver stamp. They're OLD, and they still have plenty of life left in them. As I said most people get a scratch on a disc and OVER think the damage done, and say it'll **** the shot, they throw a bad shot then blame the disc. Cause they sucked to begin with. Unless as Garu said it was a catastrophic event to the disc. They knew the disc would beat up, they didn't exactly design it to beat up, but knew it would. So they designed them to fly even after beat up. I don't carry much high end plastic, period. A few champ/ce blends, and CE is about it with a few star and ESP mixed in here and there. The majority if my bag consist of DX and TP. Btw, TP is old 90's model plastic just incase you're wondering. It's old **** that beats up. :p

If I try to throw my DX Valk on a line, it turns over. Had it about 3 months and it went from very stable to roller... That's not a very long life. I may hit more trees than the average player...but even so I like the stability and consistency of the better grade plastics...

I do agree that you're more likely to lose a disc than wear it out...but that doesn't mean the latter doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.