• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is throwing forehand bad for the shoulder?

mk.ultra

Birdie Member
Recently a torn rotator cuff injury from 3 years ago has come back to haunt me. My most proficient throw is the forehand, no doubt. Unfortunately after doing about 4-5 good FH throws, my shoulder is aching to the point where I can barely sink short putts. However, when I throw BH there is relatively no problem at all. This is still ruining my game, however, because I'm terrible at throwing anhyzers to get them to curve right. But is throwing forehand bad for the shoulder in general?

I've recently tweaked my FH form and it seems to help with shoulder pain (also have rotator cuff issues). The best thing I've done for my FH game is to not try and overpower the throw. Whenever I try to get a little something extra on it, I wind up in pain and watch my disc turn over and do a cut roll about 150' in front of me. I can get my Champ Firebird out about 300' at 80% power, and now that I'm putting less power into my throws, I can throw less stable discs on an 'S' curve.

I've recently tweaked my FH form and it seems to help with shoulder pain (also have rotator cuff issues). The best thing I've done for my FH game is to not try and overpower the throw. Whenever I try to get a little something extra on it, I wind up in pain and watch my disc turn over and do a cut roll about 150' in front of me. I can get my Champ Firebird out about 300' at 80% power, and now that I'm putting less power into my throws, I can throw less stable discs on an 'S' curve.

Yeah it doesn't hurt if I throw ridiculously light, but I don't feel like I can get anywhere with as much power as I can comfortably apply. I think I'm just going to play a little less :( because I've been going every day for the past 2 weeks, playing up to 54 holes a day, and also going to make a switch to BH only.

As I mentioned in the linked thread from bcr123psu...

Just like baseball pitchers... if you throw forehand, you have to limit the amount you play and get more rest between rounds... if you don't, you will injure yourself.

Best advise... learn to throw backhand... I did. Now I throw 4 or 5 shots a round forehand (those pesky lefty holes) and never have a problem.

Proper backhand technique is critical! Use your arm as a whip and use the muscles in your legs and body for power... The relaxed arm and shoulder shouldn't be close to being sore after playing all day... The arm muscles are for form and grip only...

Learn this and play until you can not longer walk...

i would say convert to the BH now. it might take some time but it's worth it! and it's one more shot in your arsenal

Throwing FH is NOT bad for your health. You can screw your body over just as much with bad BH technique as you can with bad FH technique. Just learn to throw it properly. Dont strong arm it. Smooth = flow = distance = no injuries.

depends on technique...

from my experience, proper forehand is more about snap and arm speed than "full arm power". If you have the proper form and the drive comes from / through the hips, there as much use of the shoulder as one would expect.
it also requires a lot less power. <- this is why a noobie can throw it 300' from day 1.

The throw is a "submariner" screw/curve/knuckle pitch not a traditional 3/4 height pitch.... If/when you do use the 3/4 height pitch, its a much lighter and controlled throw; thus, again, shouldnt have much issue on the shoulder. (I tell baseball guys, "it's the throw for a shortstop when he's picked up the ball, he's on the run and has to hustle a throw to first base. The throw comes out low almost parallel to the hips. The disc must be held ABSOLUTELY tight in your grip and thrown flat and HARD. Dont be afraid to get "low" when you throw. In the beginning, dont be afraid that you will throw too hard; it's almost impossible.)

* This isnt to say that those with blown out shoulders can use the forehand, but in general, the forehand (as i know it) is actually less powerful than most would expect. I can throw 325' (+/-) from a dead stand still with almost zero "visible" effort.In fact, when i try to throw "too hard" i flip the disc every time. <- a lot of times i have to consciously remember to throw softer or "effortless".

Last edited:
I'm sure there is a technique for throwing FH that uses more wrist than shoulder. If you can figure it out that will help out alot...

Coming from someone who's experienced many problems with my AC joint in my shoulder, throwing FH drives always aggrivates it, usually after just one toss. My solution was to break in a Star Sidewinder and turn that b*t*h over. Only problem is that I usually don't get those big flairs to the right as I would with a FH. But overall, learning a way around using a FH drive has given me plenty more distance and improved my accuracy BH, not only with a turnover shot, but some killer flex shots, hyzer flips, etc.

i say it's fine if you warm up and stretch properly. of course nothing is really good for you...i run alot and now i have bad knees

sounds like you are 'arming' it too much - good FH is all about wrist snap. I would recommend laying off the fast drivers and only throw slow plastic (putters, fairway drivers) for a while. Also playing catch with a lid has done wonders for my golf game and form. I'd recommend that as well.

Besides that, you may also just be playing too much. Believe me, I understand the feeling of wanting to play as much as you can whenever you can. Especially with winter just around the corner. But everyday for 2 weeks is overkill. When I first started I would play every day for weeks and weeks without a break in sight. But now I never play more than two days in a row. I'm young and in decent shape, but unless you have a strong athletic background and are in top shape, you probably just need some time off and dont realize it.

Yeah it doesn't hurt if I throw ridiculously light, but I don't feel like I can get anywhere with as much power as I can comfortably apply. I think I'm just going to play a little less :( because I've been going every day for the past 2 weeks, playing up to 54 holes a day, and also going to make a switch to BH only.

This is a tough one. I'd definitely lay off throwing any forehands for now and work on your backhand. But then again, I wouldn't give up forehanding in the long run and just try to work it in a later date, provided u can throw it with little or no pain. I started out just throwing forehand, got frustrated with it and decided to switch to backhand. After awhile I found myself slowly working in forehand shots--it's kinda like giving up your drug of choice! In any event, I just found that having that right fading shot really comes in handy!

It is all about technique...another FH'r with a crap shoulder here.

We as guys tend to "muscle" our throws too much when it is really finesse that will get you down the fairway.

Sarah Stanhope throws primarily FH and can play 6 round tournaments so she obviously is not hurting herself.

She also throws with a "peace grip" and uses her index finger for additional "push" when she snaps her wrist. The middle finger points out towards the nipple on the bottom of the disc and gives her extra stability for accuracy. It works but it is kind of awkward at first.

But she throws a gator standing still probably about as far as I can get one with a run up.

Bad in general... like pitching yes it is bad for you in the long run without proper care.

I have a martial arts and wrestling background and hurt my shoulder a long while ago. I've been able for a long time to just maintain my shoulder and not have a problem until I started playing DG 3 years ago. When I started I FHed because of the immediate "Oh, it goes farther when I do that." So I tried learning FH until my shoulder couldn't take it anymore. Now I can hardly throw a baseball 2 minutes before my shoulder is out. Can hardly throw a football and have trouble from time to time with it.

I switched to throwing BHLH because I'm ambidextrous (I use to FH RH). My distance and control are way better than they ever were FH. I would say drop the FH for a month or two. Learn BH and develop it but have the FH in your arsenal for when you need it. Also, lots of ice and stretching.

I tore both the longheads and the shortheads of my bicep throwing FH. Better form (follow thru :wall:) , and proper stretching :rolleyes: before each round helps.

I just started playing DG last year, shortly after having rotator cuff surgery. At the time, all I could throw was forehand, due to my severely limited range of motion (I couldn't even reach across to buckle my seat belt). At first it would get my shoulder pretty sore, and almost reached the point I didn't think I would ever be able to play. First things first, take the time needed to let your shoulder heal. What I learned to do in the beginning, was to stretch good before a round, and, stretch again before teeing off at each hole. I carried roll on Icy Hot to apply immediately after each round, and, when I got back home, I would ice the shoulder down for a half hour or so.

Now, for the issue of what's causing the pain. Technique. Once I learned to quit putting so much power into my throws, and concentrate on throwing properly, my problems went away. I use less arm now, and more body to gain arm speed. Concentrate on more spin/snap, using your wrist, and grip. And make sure to follow through with your throw. This was my biggest improvement as far as pain goes, because before, as soon as I released the disc, I would stop my arm (as if I were whipping a towel).

David

Latest posts